Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2851 2852 [2853] 2854 2855 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6101830 times)

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42780 on: August 19, 2015, 11:54:29 pm »

I'm godawful at managing seeds. I've tried to keep the supply of plump helmet seeds plentiful by making alcohol via Workflow, but the only result was 623 units of dwarven wine and merely 70 seeds.

What's the best way to keep a maintain a steady supply of seeds without going overboard?

Mainly, just make sure that your planters are skilled (so they don't waste seeds), and don't allow dwarves to cook brewable plants, and you should be fine. Also, 70 seeds is a lot. How big are your plump helmet plots? My fort's overflowing with plants, and only pig tails and dimple cups have more than a single 1x7 plot...

A giant firefly composed of steam, with a long trunk and a deadly sting,  came to visit. It spent a week kicking a hungry head in the...head...while the militia traveled down to the third cavern. Once they got there, my valiant militia commander (she's a dead-eyed teenager, a veteran of several goblin sieges and a slayer of forgotten beasts, bronze colossi, and zombies) stopped to put the poor hungry head out of its misery before lightly tapping the giant firefly. That tap reminded the beast that steam has no structural integrity and it dissolved into nothingness.

I'm getting increasingly frustrated with my dwarves' continuing refusal to dump the corpses of goblin and human invaders on the surface, despite my having made doubly sure that their standing orders allowed them to. Instead, they've spent months painstakingly disrobing each corpse, one item of clothing at a time, and dragging that one item of clothing down to the magma chute, before returning back to the surface to grab another piece of clothing. The whole time, they complain about how horrified they are to have seen a goblin/human/troll die, but they refuse to dump the corpses causing their distress down the magma chute. *sigh*...dwarves. This is doubly frustrating because I mainly want them dumped because I'm not completely sure I've captured all the necromancers from the neighboring tower--I'm pretty sure, but just in case...the last thing I need is a reanimated siege.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 11:58:17 pm by escondida »

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #42781 on: August 20, 2015, 12:14:55 am »

Nothing, at the moment. Still waiting on takers for the succession game I'm attempting to start.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42782 on: August 20, 2015, 12:59:47 am »

Nothing, at the moment. Still waiting on takers for the succession game I'm attempting to start.

Link?

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

FriarVicaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42784 on: August 20, 2015, 03:51:01 am »

I'm godawful at managing seeds. I've tried to keep the supply of plump helmet seeds plentiful by making alcohol via Workflow, but the only result was 623 units of dwarven wine and merely 70 seeds.

What's the best way to keep a maintain a steady supply of seeds without going overboard?

Mainly, just make sure that your planters are skilled (so they don't waste seeds), and don't allow dwarves to cook brewable plants, and you should be fine. Also, 70 seeds is a lot. How big are your plump helmet plots? My fort's overflowing with plants, and only pig tails and dimple cups have more than a single 1x7 plot...
Okay, now that I think about it, I think the reason why I have a ridiculous surplus of plump helmets is because my plump helmet farm is 4x16 in total, AKA far bigger than necessary. What am I supposed to do with plump helmets if not cook them, though? I already have enough wine to last a century and my turkeys grow a bit too slow to be a viable source of food.

Oh well, in other news, my woodworker (who made a wooden cage named after himself while possessed) died to a wood log. I don't even. A wereskink also attacked my fortress, but before it could brutally violate anyone, it made the mistake of trying to assault a particularly grumpy female miner who was having none of that shit. The miner effortlessly dodged the wereskink's attacks and sunk her pickaxe in the beast's head, killing it in one hit. The miner then continued her daily activities like nothing had happened.
WHAT'S THE MATTER ANDY? DON'T YOU WANT TO HAVE SOME !!FUN!!?

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42785 on: August 20, 2015, 06:03:02 am »

New fort in a new world.

I love it already.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42786 on: August 20, 2015, 09:48:43 am »

I used fortress mode to advance my calendar some for adventurer mode recently.

Since the fort just takes care of itself at this point as long as I remind the manager to make sure I stay over like 2k food/drink/etc and the military hang out on the front porch training and killing undead, I was able to put firefox over the window and leave just enough to see when it pauses.

Got a diplomat bitching about trees... cut them all down before he left and killed two of the merchants, letting the other two escape traumatized I hope.

Got a 12 gob siege, my adventurer family, Mr, Mrs., and Kid McLegendary form The Hopeful Babies, squad j, and all run at bullettime. They killed the gobs before they got off the wall they arrived on, poor bastards.

Then the calendar changed and I got a cool message.

Later when I went back to adventurer mode I tried to find my mountainhome, and accidentally killed it.

Apparently the mountainhome was just a field of plump helmets with some soldiers guarding it.

HUGE field btw, like easily 4x4 or 5x5 embark tiles, maybe larger, covered with plump helmets, occasional trees, some other random cave crops.

Nothing else alive outside of the occasional soldiers around the edges.

Apparently when the game noticed that I had noticed this, it "corrected it" I guess?

The mountainhome icon went from active: Ω*** to sacked: µ*** so, yeah, whoops.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42787 on: August 20, 2015, 10:46:21 am »

Okay, now that I think about it, I think the reason why I have a ridiculous surplus of plump helmets is because my plump helmet farm is 4x16 in total, AKA far bigger than necessary. What am I supposed to do with plump helmets if not cook them, though? I already have enough wine to last a century and my turkeys grow a bit too slow to be a viable source of food.

Oh well, in other news, my woodworker (who made a wooden cage named after himself while possessed) died to a wood log. I don't even. A wereskink also attacked my fortress, but before it could brutally violate anyone, it made the mistake of trying to assault a particularly grumpy female miner who was having none of that shit. The miner effortlessly dodged the wereskink's attacks and sunk her pickaxe in the beast's head, killing it in one hit. The miner then continued her daily activities like nothing had happened.

Plump Helmet surplus is inevitable even with a single 3x3 plot. They just do that. Start atom-smashing if they start lagging.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42788 on: August 20, 2015, 04:50:17 pm »

I don't think there's any actual iron ore in my medium world.  Is there a way to check?  We must, the caravans had some iron anvils.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42789 on: August 20, 2015, 11:25:11 pm »

I don't think there's any actual iron ore in my medium world.  Is there a way to check?  We must, the caravans had some iron anvils.

Yeah, if they're bringing anything made of iron (not steel), they have the metal available somewhere. I'd say mainly check places you'd expect to have sedimentary layers, really.

A humanoid forgotten beast composed of mud, with deadly dust, came to visit. Because of the dust, I closed off the caverns and began construction on this particular fort's first crush-’em trap. Fortunately, with no dwarves to murder, the FB picked fights with every cavern creature available until it was finally killed by a gorlak.

I've chosen to interpret my dwarves’ continuing refusal to magma-dump the dozens of corpses on the surface--even in the face of possible necromancer attack--as their way of telling me I need to construct an elaborate pump stack to bring magma up from the third cavern layer, so that I can dispose of the corpses myself. I suppose it shouldn't be too bad--I do have thousands of bars of charcoal, thanks to having consistently deforested the surface and the caverns as new trees grow, and having several wood furnaces burning merrily year-round, so smelting the metal for the stack shouldn't be too bad.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #42790 on: August 21, 2015, 01:38:53 am »

Had a mechanic drop dead out of nowhere. Nothing in his surroundings indicates violence, there are no piles of titansneeze or FB goo laying around, and he wasn't old enough to die of old age.
GM of Trespassers V2.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42791 on: August 21, 2015, 06:35:13 am »

Had a mechanic drop dead out of nowhere. Nothing in his surroundings indicates violence, there are no piles of titansneeze or FB goo laying around, and he wasn't old enough to die of old age.

could be a vampire..or a murderer...or maybe there is a sneaky animal nearby,or perhaps a were creature did it...

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42792 on: August 21, 2015, 08:13:02 am »

There was a yak calf that was still in my dining hall. Apparently I forgot to pasture him. He was starving, but that was the case with pretty much any grazing animal that I spotted in my dining hall, in any fort, ever, so I didn't think too much about it. I just added him to the pasture, but he literally died on the way there. What is ironical is that he was literally 5 steps outside the fort when he died.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42793 on: August 21, 2015, 08:14:16 am »

New fort in a new world.

I love it already.
I called my civ "The Union of Beer" :)
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #42794 on: August 21, 2015, 10:10:34 am »

New fort in a new world.

I love it already.
I called my civ "The Union of Beer" :)

"Basementdwellers"

Pages: 1 ... 2851 2852 [2853] 2854 2855 ... 3842