Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2729 2730 [2731] 2732 2733 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6111622 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #40950 on: April 21, 2015, 05:23:39 pm »

Apparently some of the dwarves in the caravan hate my dwarves. Since this is buggy and potentially catastrophic, I used DFhack's liquids to seal off the trade depot but left them a way out that doesn't go past my dwarves. Hopefully it all works out.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #40951 on: April 21, 2015, 10:52:55 pm »

One one hand, this thing is a more efficient hunting machine than all my hunters combined.  On the other, when it abandons it's post it lets dangerous stuff in like Giant Toads and Cave Crocs. Not sure if I should physically tie it up at it's post or just install a backup tiger at the stairs.
Not sure if I should physically tie it up at it's post or just install a backup tiger at the stairs.
install a backup tiger
backup tiger
"So Urst, Why do we need 2 war trained cats?"
"Well, the Giant Leopard, which I call Spot, which is as big as a horse, likes to take long walks through the caves. It likes "playing" with all the other wild animals there, so we have a spare tiger that fill in for it every once and a while."
"When did we catch this walking death-machine?"
"Oh, the elves gave him to us. Said something about it "being to dangerous" and "mass murderer", but what do they know."
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40952 on: April 22, 2015, 10:06:11 am »

Big families.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

ThePeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40953 on: April 22, 2015, 10:49:59 am »

Coming back to DF for the first time since early 2013, trying to wrap my head around all the new things. Picked an easy embark to ease myself back into things, struck Coal and Hematite within the first layers, so that's a good start. Im sure I'll manage to screw it up somehow though. On the plus(?) side, plenty of Goblin civs nearby, so if i don't get my fort up fairly quickly much fun will be had.

Edit: OK, maybe setting Minerals to "Everywhere" wasn't that great of an idea, I have more stuff then I have space for and my miner is busy 24/7.

Edit2: So...my outpost Liaison is a Goblin. Im gonna go ahead and assume this isn't supposed to be a thing. He seems to be functioning as normal though.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 02:18:19 pm by ThePeanut »
ThePeanut likes Dwarf Fortress for its difficulty, Killer Instinct for its characters, Tolkien and H.P. Lovecraft for their works of fiction, Scimitars for their curved blades, and Dogs for their barks. He prefers to consume cheese whenever possible. If possible, he would spend the rest of his days not doing much of anything.
He dreams of mastering a skill.

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40954 on: April 22, 2015, 11:16:10 am »

Big families.

Hmm, Lord of the Lance...
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40955 on: April 22, 2015, 02:39:30 pm »

This is officially the best thing ever.
I think the mangled screaming dorfs trying to communicate with a Roc by beating "kill me" against the teeth of a Hydra in morse code with their stumps would disagree.

I personally think my new favorite toy launch.lua is the best thing ever, you thought propel.lua could be fun in fortress mode?

You ever seen a goblin fireworks display?

No?

You have now.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #40956 on: April 22, 2015, 04:27:47 pm »

WOO

I JUST CAUGHT A FEMALE CAVE DRAGON

I ALREADY HAVE A MALE

GAYDAR SAYS THEY'RE STRAIGHT

WAR CAVE DRAGONS INCOMING

On a similar note, a condor with horrible bleeding dizzy dust is roaming the third cavern. I'm going to catch it and do something with it. Probably something spike related. Poisoned sacrificial spikes...

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40957 on: April 22, 2015, 07:44:05 pm »

Rum said something about finding the way to get a dorf to use a dragon as a mount, wonder if he's played with that more.

xana55

• Bay Watcher
  • Booze Detected: Initiating Drinking Protocal
    • View Profile
« Reply #40958 on: April 22, 2015, 08:39:13 pm »

Urist McMacederp just managed to get his own upper spine broken in full armor, on training weapons, in a training exercise. I am officially irritated with the military.
Urist The Foolish: Beheaded by a swarm of cats 379 BC.

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40959 on: April 23, 2015, 12:51:47 am »

Coming back to DF for the first time since early 2013, trying to wrap my head around all the new things. Picked an easy embark to ease myself back into things, struck Coal and Hematite within the first layers, so that's a good start. Im sure I'll manage to screw it up somehow though. On the plus(?) side, plenty of Goblin civs nearby, so if i don't get my fort up fairly quickly much fun will be had.

Edit: OK, maybe setting Minerals to "Everywhere" wasn't that great of an idea, I have more stuff then I have space for and my miner is busy 24/7.

Edit2: So...my outpost Liaison is a Goblin. Im gonna go ahead and assume this isn't supposed to be a thing. He seems to be functioning as normal though.

That's actually pretty tame. I've had clowns show up as outpost liaisons :D
Though this could happen in earlier versions, too.

Two of my soldiers drowned after dodging off the bridge on which they were fighting an undead eagle. Also got a nasty scare when a husking cloud showed up at the same time as the human caravan. Luckily it missed them.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40960 on: April 23, 2015, 02:57:09 am »

My fort was made a barony.
3 merchants were killed by the dead. I recovered their corpses just in case they turned ghosts. The outpost liaison ran pretty fast so the undead didn't get him.

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #40961 on: April 23, 2015, 09:45:12 am »

From the Journal of Goden Urdimotung, Metalsmith, Limestone 13th:

I'm working on some armor and weapons for the militia, but there's not - OH MY GOD IS THAT A GIANT CAVE SPIDER?!

Okay, it's fine, it's fine, it can't get in, there's only a tiny peek-hole for seeing what's in there in case we ever want to go in there to get -

Almost all of the hematite in the area.  There's maybe 20 bars' worth of iron that's not part of a cave wall.  The only other two ores are tetrahedrite and galena.  What are we going to do?

From the Journal of Kadol Fikodnecik, manager, Limestone 14th:

Yesterday, everybody helped haul the trade goods to the depot.  Now I'm trading with our brethren from the mountainhome.

Our main exports are exotic (above-ground) wines and beers, such as cherry wine, purple amaranth beer, prickle berry wine, sand pear cider, and fisher berry wine.  We also are trading some of the biscuits that our cooks made.  In addition, we have some totems from the animals our hunters killed, an almond wood figurine of Mebzuth Spraysplashes, the deity of rivers, and a dwarf prostrating itself before Mebzuth.  It has an image of a bolt in fox bone on it.  Both are made by Zasit Zuglarildom, our miner and crafter.  He also made some mugs.  He was trying to stave off rust, but he's not really crafting much.  We don't have many gems, it takes time to get wood, and the trees are better off fruiting, and we don't have much available stone, considering how the first stone layer we hit had a cavern in it.

The traders look pleased at the variety of wines, beers, and ciders, and also our biscuits.  They have -

What's that, Goden?  You're worried about the lack of good metal?  Don't worry, the trader'll have some -

Oh, dear.  A bar of lay pewter and - well, tin can be used for bronze!  One's better than nothing.  You should go ask Mosus to order - oh, she's already met with the outpost liaison.  Well, you'll have some more bars in a year, and then many more after that.  Also, I can buy some of the armor the traders have.

Okay!  We'll take those tin bars, some chunks of glass in case somebody wants to use them, some wood, some ropes for the jail...

What's a murder judgement?  I ask this because:

(<<+one-humped camel leather waterskin+>>)
"This is a finely crafted one-humped camel leather waterskin.  It is encircled with bands of trillion cut purple spinels.  On the item is an image of a pipe section in pyrolusite.  On the item is an image of a Murder Judgement in dingo bone."

We'll take some barrels, but not the 1250-coin one encrusted with native platinum.  Some good dwarven ale'd be good, as we haven't really been brewing our underground plants.  We'll definitely need some armor and some bags'd also be good.  Not the one with bands of rectangular faint yellow diamond cabochons around it, though.  We aren't that rich.  Some cloth, some leather, some bolts, some more armor, plenty of ingredients for the cooks, some thread, some backpacks...  The traders thought that a profit of 5,866 wasn't enough for a transaction of 18,105.  Thirty-two percent!  Ah, well, drop the dimple dye and some of that dyed cloth.  Let's also drop that giant bat leather and such.  We don't need expensive leather.  That good enough?  Great!  Nice trading with you, Thob Lekkulet.  Everybody!  Let's haul this to the stockpile!

WHOA EVERYTHING'S SHIFTIN -

Crash.  Boom.  Gone.

From the Journal of Mosus Melbilkidder, Mayor:

I woke up with the worst headache ever...
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40962 on: April 23, 2015, 10:31:23 am »

What the heck happened?
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40963 on: April 23, 2015, 10:37:44 am »

Game crash.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40964 on: April 23, 2015, 11:51:10 am »

I thought so.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.
Pages: 1 ... 2729 2730 [2731] 2732 2733 ... 3842