Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2728 2729 [2730] 2731 2732 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6111619 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #40935 on: April 20, 2015, 03:44:13 pm »

On the plus side: masterpiece large semi-precious gem.
On the minus side: 5 imprisoned dwarfs for violating trade mandates. 50 days. I have no prison, just a bunch of cages, some of which were still int the stockpile... which dwarves will survive.....?
One wheel short of a wagon

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40936 on: April 20, 2015, 07:10:56 pm »

Just got another siege but this one consists of 4 necromancers. The two usual siege ones and two who i assume are apprentices to them since necromancer isn't apart of their profession and the two are soldiers.

EDIT: There are 6 of these apparent apprentices in total. They also don't like the undead that raised at my fort but like the ones they arrived with, much like clown "necromancer" but the clown killed all undead including those he arrived with.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 11:33:56 pm by Aristion »
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40937 on: April 20, 2015, 08:24:10 pm »

I have named all the dorfs.

The starting seven (now only six of them are alive) have their titles taken from their first or last names (e.g., Urist is The Dagger Lord). Their children acquire their middle names from their father.

There are 5 families but only 2 of them can have descendent: The Dagger Family and The Hatchet Family.

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40938 on: April 21, 2015, 12:33:26 am »

I have named all the dorfs.

The starting seven (now only six of them are alive) have their titles taken from their first or last names (e.g., Urist is The Dagger Lord). Their children acquire their middle names from their father.

There are 5 families but only 2 of them can have descendent: The Dagger Family and The Hatchet Family.

I always do this, since it both helps me recognize them and lets me keep track of which immigrants I've processed.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40939 on: April 21, 2015, 01:41:06 am »

It seems hooves are considered armored. The zombie was beating up a horse with a skirt and every hit to the hooves glanced away.

The Osprey Woman Corpse strikes The Elf Merchant in the head with her ({hemp plant fiber skirt}) and the injured part explodes into gore!
The Osprey Woman Corpse strikes The Horse in the left front hoof with her ({hemp plant fiber skirt}), but the attack glances away!
The Osprey Woman Corpse strikes The Horse in the head with her ({hemp plant fiber skirt}), bruising the muscle and fracturing the skull!
The Osprey Woman Corpse strikes The Horse in the head with her ({hemp plant fiber skirt}) and the injured part is crushed!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 01:43:53 am by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40940 on: April 21, 2015, 01:53:44 am »

...Is that Osprey Woman Corpse hip-thrusting people/animals to death?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40941 on: April 21, 2015, 02:09:05 am »

She just ripped away an elf's skirt and used it as weapon.

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40942 on: April 21, 2015, 11:06:35 am »

Just was wondering if anyone has demonstrated a minecart water cannon that improves upon the performance of Quantum Menace's "wave cannon"?  He reported a fire rate of about 13-14 ticks between shots, and I have one that reduces this to 8-9 ticks, is smaller, and uses less resources and power (although it certainly doesn't match it in architectural beauty and dwarfiness  :P). 

Anyhow, I just don't want to spend a few hours writing this up and then find that somebody already did this and I just can't find the post.  Thanks in advance for any help!

Edit: I have also seen gchristopher's design, and mine is somewhat of a hybrid between his design (I used his idea using loops on different z-levels to turn around neighboring tracks) and Quantum Menace's, but at least in my hands (vanilla 34.11, no mods of any kind) the design in his test save fired much slower than Quantum Menace's (and a couple of clowns actually got through it, which makes me wonder if he was using some mods/tweaks which impacted performance).
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 12:49:24 pm by Pirate Bob »

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #40943 on: April 21, 2015, 12:52:33 pm »

So, much, limonite! I have over 300 limonite that needs to be smelted into iron, between the 2 wood furnaces and the 2 smelters, it should get done eventully.

Also Keas Freaking keas.

Anyway, I built a bit of a apartment building thing, (I'm building an above ground fortress) and a house for the captain of the guard and other stuff, the production of steel has begun. yay. c:

I've yet to get attacked, hopefully soon, at least once.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #40944 on: April 21, 2015, 01:19:23 pm »

What People at Cityteaches are Saying About It (And Other Random Stuff):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Come to Teachcities!  It's safe here!  There's room for many!  Just not two hundred...  Despite what people are saying, there's really not much death here.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #40945 on: April 21, 2015, 01:30:36 pm »

I finally got automated booze production on-line (using the Rubble powered still), only to immediately run out of brewable plants, *sigh*.
In my best announcer voice: "Attention, all gnomes who are not currently occupied are now on plant gathering duty, thank you, that is all".

Sadly I don't think this (so far really cool) fortress will last another year, I need to start over so I can test the new teleporter :)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40946 on: April 21, 2015, 02:54:06 pm »

I just can''t win.  I build a nice little water pool in the meeting hall.  I always used to build those with a way to drain them, just incase something stupid happens and something falls in and dies.  But every time I build them with drainage nothing happens to make me need to drain it.  So this time I just connect it up to the water source. No floodgates or anything.

Not 2 months later a cavern troll jukes past the guard dogs and makes a beeline for the pool and then falls in as it gets mobbed by guards and animals.  Dying at the bottom completely inaccessible.

God damn you Murphy.  I don't even know what the troll was after it just went straight for the pool and ran around it once before the dogs caught up.

EDIT: And now a blind cave ogre tried to do the same thing.  Fortunately one of the guards caught it before it got there this time.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 02:56:55 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #40947 on: April 21, 2015, 03:37:46 pm »

-snip-
Carry on, my good man. We need more overseers like you. Kind overseers who really care about their dwarves.

I hope Cityteaches prospers! Or Teachcities. Whichever it is.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #40948 on: April 21, 2015, 04:47:37 pm »

Thanks, TheFlame52!  I like to think they exist.

I don't know what to do.  My herbalist fell off a tree, horrified by a skeleton in my refuse pile.  She got back up, but then, she cancelled her plant gathering job while up a tree.  Another dwarf took it from her.  She fell asleep up there, without any apparent bad thoughts.  Now she's thirsty.  I sent my woodcutter to cut her down.  She fell down for ONE SECOND and then CLIMBED BACK UP THE TREE.  What?!

By the way, her screen reads "That isn't funny."  I wonder if she's talking to the woodcutter.  You want to know what's really not funny (perhaps a little funny)?  YOU CLIMBING BACK UP THE TREE NEXT TO THE ONE I CUT YOU DOWN FROM.  Yep!  I have a real Note for Urist now!  Off to the thread!

What should I do?  Just cut her down?

Never mind, she climbed back down.  I tell you, this is like herding cats...
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40949 on: April 21, 2015, 05:21:31 pm »

Elves traded me A giant leopard. (and a normal size jaguar and tiger. I think I love my elves) I proceeded to war train the really big cat.  And had it replace the 2 war dogs that guard the cavern entrance and it has been doing much better.

Already killed 2 trolls, a Giant Toad and a GCS.  Yes, it killed a Giant Cave Spider.  And once it kills something and realizes there's nothing actually keeping in it's pen zone it runs around the cavern brutally murdering anything else it can get it's blood stained claws on before my animal herders manage to grab it again.  Usually killing at least one innocent cavern critter before getting reigned in each time.  It charged into a group of elk birds and there was blood everywhere.

One one hand, this thing is a more efficient hunting machine than all my hunters combined.  On the other, when it abandons it's post it lets dangerous stuff in like Giant Toads and Cave Crocs. Not sure if I should physically tie it up at it's post or just install a backup tiger at the stairs.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 2728 2729 [2730] 2731 2732 ... 3842