Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1806 1807 [1808] 1809 1810 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121153 times)

RoaryStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #27105 on: December 29, 2012, 03:23:31 pm »

My new fort has a floodplain.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The left half of the river unfreezes much slower than the right half. It creates a damn causing the water from the waterfall to build up faster than it can exit the map from the south. There's a layer of 7 deep water on top of this layer of 7 deep water causing a buildup that spills onto the southern half of the map in the spring.

You mean a damn dam? :P

Anyways:
I was finishing my bedrooms when a were-something attacked. We killed it, and when I was moving over to DT, I accidently closed DF, somehow.
So I lost everything.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27106 on: December 29, 2012, 04:44:04 pm »

I'm currently working on moving all the seed-producing industries to an isolated section to the east. I've also split the cavern area in two, because I'd like to have the option of moving the soapworks over there too. The three lucky(?) dwarves running the farms have been selected, and there's water, food, an axe, and a pick ready. Just a little bit of tidying up to do...

Since all the walking dead have gravitated to the west, I'm using the arrival of the human caravan and the associated opening of the entrance to go out and try to grab some sliver barbs.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Sugarlevi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27107 on: December 30, 2012, 10:53:15 am »

Lovely, my first migrant wave brought me a sociopathic child dwarf.
It started with killing all the dogs, then it started killing off the dwarven babies. And now it is slaughtering the grown ups...

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27108 on: December 30, 2012, 11:19:40 am »

A bone carver mood resulted in a lovely crossbow, and it was issued to the now-legendary marksdwarf in charge. Goes nicely with his artifact shield.

sword squad has been issued steel gear, harvested from melted trade  goods (and multiplied by making and melting giant steel axe blades). Smiths-in-training make the axe blades, to eliminate any possible masterwork ones (since melting those will surely cause riots, plus masterwork blades are useful in increasing value of certain areas).

The clown fort has been uncovered, but no access routes into the fort exist so we are safe for now. Waiting on more migrants to arrive so we can bolster our military forces.

Kobolds have ambushed us, scaring away the human merchants. They had some 8 wagons with them, and we had some lovely roasts to trade them. Elves got mad about our offered roasts, because I forgot they were in a wooden barrel. They didn't have anything worthwhile anyways.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27109 on: December 30, 2012, 12:30:04 pm »

Holy <censored>, a ghost just took a farmer leg off!!

I didn't know they could do that...

fungee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27110 on: December 30, 2012, 02:45:46 pm »

I started playing DF again after a long break. Last time I played back in d40 IIRC. Or when was the military change implemented?

My fort is a splendid mess as usual. Dwarven babies keep getting impaled by the training spears in my tiny danger room. Praise Armok for Dwarf Therapist otherwise I would lose all control over my fort!

Also I finally found the perfect convict for an unsolved murder case:

She died shortly after imprisonment. That'll teach her!
It's easy being an experimentalist. If you fail try again.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27111 on: December 30, 2012, 03:37:37 pm »

Welcome to you, Lor Bekartobul. You are highly adventurous and love fresh experiences, but are entirely adverse to risk and excitement!
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Volfgarix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27112 on: December 30, 2012, 06:50:07 pm »

I lost 2 marksdwarves to cave crawler, third is lying injured in bed and have grasping and standing lost, fourth have grasping imparied...
Because they didn't took bolts...
I had to send sworddwarves to kill that crap...

One of new came dwarves has bruises on all body, weird, maybe because he hauled died to grave or something...

Cave is a bitch, but at least I walled all around entrance, so I can expect to being attacked in caves only by flying crap.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 06:54:28 pm by Volfgarix »

fungee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27113 on: December 30, 2012, 08:02:39 pm »

Finally found magma after digging down 150 layers. Hell of a job to pump it up from there. Brb building 150 screw pumps and a perpetual motion megapowerplant.
It's easy being an experimentalist. If you fail try again.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27114 on: December 30, 2012, 08:38:28 pm »

I lost 2 marksdwarves to cave crawler, third is lying injured in bed and have grasping and standing lost, fourth have grasping imparied...
Because they didn't took bolts...
I had to send sworddwarves to kill that crap...

One of new came dwarves has bruises on all body, weird, maybe because he hauled died to grave or something...

Cave is a bitch, but at least I walled all around entrance, so I can expect to being attacked in caves only by flying crap.
If he's brand new then he might have been injured during worldgen.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27115 on: December 30, 2012, 08:51:04 pm »

Still trying to figure out a mechanism to automatically reload my magma mister's item drops. If I can't automate it, it'll become a massive pain in the ass to get it reloaded after every use.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27116 on: December 30, 2012, 10:48:01 pm »

Damn, damn, damn. I usually try to take care of migrant waves, but this time I lost an entire 10 strong wave to 3 goblin ambushes that they detected as soon as they entered the map.

The slaughter was brutal and efficient, bolts flying and spears gleaming in the sun, and blood spattering everywhere. Most of the goblins now sit in cages, waiting for me to release them into a holding pit where my marksdwarves will train on them.

Ah well. I got a wave just before that, with ANOTHER great marksdwarf/experienced war fighter, with 30 elves and 100 assorted giant bears/tiger kills to his name.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27117 on: December 30, 2012, 11:07:46 pm »

I'm currently dealing with a large amount of troglodytes, giant olms, trolls, and dralthas, and other cave natives, plus a large amount of ghosts KILLED by those cave natives.....the first time I open a cave, I start getting overrun.....oh, and now I'm dealing with stupid dwarves and magma. YAY MAGMA!  ::)
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27118 on: December 31, 2012, 01:27:30 am »

The Worst Tantrum Spiral. Everything is great. Every 89 (Highest amount I ever had) has a Royal Bedroom. Suddenly the baroness decides that she is pissed about pretenious rooms. She kills the mayor. Mayor's wife kills my Legendary Armorer/Weaponsmith/Metalsmith. EVERYONE KILLS EACH OTHER.
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27119 on: December 31, 2012, 02:02:16 am »

Stuff got real in Canyontalon this year.  The griffons received two discordant pony sieges, both of which were repelled with minimal fuss.  There were no injuries in the first at all.

The second siege was an interesting change of pace.  Caving to complaints from first and third company that they never get to face the enemy anymore, the swordsgriffons and halberdiers were loosed upon the invaders under the covering fire of second company's bows.  The enemies fell quickly enough, failing to land even a single blow against the well trained griffons.  Yet when all was said and done, four griffons laid out in the bloody grass with broken bones and serious bruises.  The slain tank bulls and cows fell upon the soldiers in their deaths, injuring them in the process.

Actually, they were being assaulted by shoes, shirts and mutilated corpses, which I figure is the riders falling on them? ???

The soldiers were quickly taken to the hospital where doctor Royov treated them without any permanent injuries.

Then more screams came from the surface.  One of the furnace operators, Anna Putin, was ambushed by a wereanteater.  She tried to evade the monster, but was too slow.  It bit and maimed her rear legs before private Serge Dyatlov arrived to behead it.  She was rushed to the hospital where she barely survived.  But major Rykov worries about what will become of those who are bitten by a were creature.

I assume she'll turn eventually, which should be interesting.  Kind of irritating that she survived in that case, but her three kids were in the hospital room with her while she was being treated, so I had to root for her!

In the chaos of it all, private Zhirov passed away from age related causes.  Perhaps the excitement of personal combat again at such an advanced age was too much for the poor griffon.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 1806 1807 [1808] 1809 1810 ... 3842