Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 911 912 [913] 914 915 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6114083 times)

Gullydwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #13680 on: May 31, 2011, 02:28:19 pm »

An FB (Leyara Lithithase) showed up in one of the caverns! OH NOES!
Seconds later: Forgotten beast is dead...

Here is the description:
A towering blob composed of steam. It has a spiral shell and it appears to be emaciated.

What happend? No fight reports for it...
I think it just evaporated... Or starved?
"Gullydwarf cancels play Dwarf Fortress. Interrupted by stray female."

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13681 on: May 31, 2011, 03:23:34 pm »

MY mayor is upset because criminal couldn't be punished properly and she was the criminal. (I removed chain before she died to thirst)

"tie me more, more! PUNISH ME! GIVE ME MORE PAIN! COME ON BREAK MY BONES YES YES YEEESSS! OH YESSS! no wait, don't untie me, no, wait noooo" *UristA mcmayor masochist.
Your fort elected Stocking as its mayor? I like this fort already.
A continuation of this, my mayor(a female as well) has only mandated cages and now chains so far(and prohibited billion export). In addition, the two gods she worships, one represents twilight, the other death, war, and fortresses.

If you didn't have Stocking as your mayor, perhaps I do.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #13682 on: May 31, 2011, 04:33:23 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This guy decided to pay us a visit.

Edit: I was content to let the silly little guy float around in our caverns for as long as he pleased, because I didn't think he'd be able to path into our fortress. I just walked away to get a drink, and guess who just had his beak ripped off by a wrestler?
That was rhetorical, it was freaking Slushu.
These no-account peasants are very lucky that I found it aesthetically pleasing to place the barracks directly next to the dining room.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 04:53:49 pm by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13683 on: May 31, 2011, 05:05:10 pm »

I almost read that as a towering bullshit ;). Incidentally, I recently killed a one-eyed pheasant with a shell and beware it's deadly spittle! but in every case it used its spittle, it was deflected by shields or armor.

Unfortunately, it ripped an arm off of two hammerdwarves, and the foot of a swordsdwarf. I pulled the hammerdwarves out of the army, but the swordsdwarf got a crutch and is back on duty. Bastard flew pretty goddamn fast, too(until we started breaking various bones and organs, hehe).

Oh, and my execution tower works. Every testgoblin died, and most were in armor(can't strip them for some reason). Some died from taking a menacing wooden spike or ten to the head, some were so badly screwed up they died of bleeding a little bit later.

FAKEEDIT: Scratch that. Two thrown in at the same time survived. A Squad, C Squad: take position around tower and await opening of the chamber.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #13684 on: May 31, 2011, 05:19:52 pm »

I almost read that as a towering bullshit ;). Incidentally, I recently killed a one-eyed pheasant with a shell and beware it's deadly spittle! but in every case it used its spittle, it was deflected by shields or armor.

Unfortunately, it ripped an arm off of two hammerdwarves, and the foot of a swordsdwarf. I pulled the hammerdwarves out of the army, but the swordsdwarf got a crutch and is back on duty. Bastard flew pretty goddamn fast, too(until we started breaking various bones and organs, hehe).

Oh, and my execution tower works. Every testgoblin died, and most were in armor(can't strip them for some reason). Some died from taking a menacing wooden spike or ten to the head, some were so badly screwed up they died of bleeding a little bit later.

FAKEEDIT: Scratch that. Two thrown in at the same time survived. A Squad, C Squad: take position around tower and await opening of the chamber.
This guy didn't even get a change to singe. He ripped the arm off of a hunter though, it was horwrendous. I do egret not paying attention to where he was though, because that hunter had the eyes of a hawk; he was a proficient marksdwarf, which is really a lot of talont. Luckily, my only squad happened to be nearby at the time and I didn't even have to give them any orders...they just winged it. There was also a goblin snatcher nearby that they handily took down, not needing to micromanage every military task for once was really quite pheasant.
Really though, I'm just glad he didn't have any blood-related syndromes. The stuff was everywhere, and that would have been quite fowl.
And now I'm done making bird-related puns, I think I'll give it a nest.

You should build an arena, station your dwarves in it, and then pit the goblins in from 1 or 2 z-levels up. It will make sure your military is better prepared for the next ambush or siege, and also it can be a lot more fun if you pit a bunch of at once and something go wrongs.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Raptor_a22

• Bay Watcher
  • [DERP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13685 on: May 31, 2011, 05:48:25 pm »

I just discovered this...
Its a floating beehive!
Raptor's CivMod, Mithril and Dark Elves and Alchemy, oh my!
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where severe necrosis leading to exploding limbs is "awesome."

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13686 on: May 31, 2011, 06:05:45 pm »

You should build an arena, station your dwarves in it, and then pit the goblins in from 1 or 2 z-levels up. It will make sure your military is better prepared for the next ambush or siege, and also it can be a lot more fun if you pit a bunch of at once and something go wrongs.
I sent my troops in. Two nearly died from thirst and infection in the hospital, again because of the frozen river. I'm linking the spikes to a lever, so in case they survive, I can just repeated impale them until they don't.

The plan to create an indoor resevoir didn't work right, but it's still viable.

A possesion made Nailmerchants the Wilt of Gorging. Perhaps I should build Nailmerchants by the trade depot ;)?

TapeNoot

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE: AMPHIBIAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13687 on: May 31, 2011, 09:09:41 pm »

Playing on my netbook, in the style of fortress driven procrastination everywhere :P

Over-extended myself with the mining/stone dumping of some large rooms, causing a complete lack of food and booze when a metric fork-tonne of migrants arrived. The only source of water was a small murky pool on the surface, which, thankfully, hasn't evaporated due to my turning temp and weather off. A cat decides to drop a dead something in it. Bam. Had to abandon the fortress, but not before pulling up the main draw bridge.

Start the reclaim without preparing carefully, find stuff strewn -everywhere-, spend the next few years collecting said stuff (It's still on-going as of today). One of the dead dorfs from the previous fort comes back as a violent spirit.

Cue Id Ilalath wandering out of the entrance to chop some wood. He gets hurled back by the ghost, loosing his entire right arm. He's the only brewer, cook, and planter for the fort, so naturally, I fear the worst. But no. He merely shakes it off, and wanders downstairs to get drunk. The copious amounts of blood, and his rotted arm are still there. Despite receiving no medical treatment, his blooded stump heals, and he continues to go about his business.

A few months later, while merrily carting items between stockpiles in the lower fort, and still the only real dwarf capable of planting and brewing, the ghost travels down through the earth, and jumps him. His kidney is torn out, and blood goes -everywhere-. But, again, he manages to heal without any form of medical treatment, diagnosis, or hospital rest, and simply has a quick scrub-down by the newly constructed well

'Wordbolted' must mean 'Wolverine' in Dwarvish.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
BY ARMOK'S FLAMING TESTICLES, JUST WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?

A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol fuelled beard with the IQ of a parsnip, and that's insulting to the parsnips.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13688 on: May 31, 2011, 09:35:49 pm »

Only copper on the map, but my weaponsmith went fey and produced a copper two handed sword artifact.  I give it to my swordsman militia commander and whaddaya know, thanks to the militia commander's human sized race, and being larger than average for the race on top of that, he can wield it one handed with no penalties.

Since I shun shields with this race I have him using a long sword for an off hand weapon, but here's hoping for another sword artifact.  Then I'll have a militia commander that DUAL WIELDS ARTIFACTS.  Consitering he migrated to the fortress rather early, and already with high sword and armor skills he's likely to be my first legendary in the fortress too.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #13689 on: May 31, 2011, 09:36:26 pm »

It appears I might be dealing with an outbreak of forgotten beast syndrome soon. After killing a forgotten beast with deadly blood, despite the beast never landing a single blow (a Crowning Moment of Awesome for my dwarves), a member of the squad abruptly and without warning bled to death. A few minutes later, it's happening to my animals too. But only the particularly small animals at the moment. I hypothesize that the disease kills quicker the smaller the infectee. In which case, every single dwarf in the fortress could be infected by the time any of them start dying from it. Hell, they could all be infected already.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #13690 on: May 31, 2011, 09:39:38 pm »

It appears I might be dealing with an outbreak of forgotten beast syndrome soon. After killing a forgotten beast with deadly blood, despite the beast never landing a single blow (a Crowning Moment of Awesome for my dwarves), a member of the squad abruptly and without warning bled to death. A few minutes later, it's happening to my animals too. But only the particularly small animals at the moment. I hypothesize that the disease kills quicker the smaller the infectee. In which case, every single dwarf in the fortress could be infected by the time any of them start dying from it. Hell, they could all be infected already.

Check out your health screen (z-menu) and see whether your animals have rotten parts/bleeding.

And give any and all important dwarves a civilian uniform that requires them to WEAR SHOES.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13691 on: May 31, 2011, 09:52:23 pm »

Check out your health screen (z-menu) and see whether your animals have rotten parts/bleeding.

And give any and all important dwarves a civilian uniform that requires them to WEAR SHOES.

Figured it out. There was a single pool of forgotten beast blood just outside my fortress (How it got there, I haven't the slightest clue). The slightest touch caused the bleeding to death. No rotting or anything. Just bleeding  ???. Channeled the square and everything's fine.

machinator

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13692 on: May 31, 2011, 10:05:43 pm »

I have discovered that hospitals actually work. If one of my dwarfs got hurt, I would just let them rest and hope for the best. This time, when one of my dwarfs had a little accident with a cave in, I designated a small hospital. My doctor gave her a crutch and she is now mining at full speed! I'm considering giving my doctor some practice with the mayor... his office is awfully close to a retractable bridge.
Also, after years of useless sparring, I built a danger room for my military. Suddenly my fortress is full of Spearmasters and Axe Lords. I can't wait for the next goblin siege.

TheWealthyAardvark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13693 on: May 31, 2011, 10:13:38 pm »

The fortress is about a fourth of the way into its first autumn, so I expect to see the migrants/liaison/merchants soon. My miner is busy digging out rooms -2 levels into the hill, and he hit legendary status just as he found a batch of microcline. He's currently digging out a platinum vein I found a while back.

The perimeter wall has been stalled due to the need to build walls on the level below, as some of the wall will be hanging out over the natural hills. As much as I hate to wait to see it raised, having a wall that the enemy can just walk under wouldn't be very efficient.

I made the mistake of assigning a group of puppies to a pasture that their moms weren't in, so my dwarves decided to spend a fair amount of time dragging puppies around just to have them run away. Unfortunately, some of the mothers are war dogs, and they don't seem particularly interested in staying put in the pasture either. I'm currently debating between getting my baby animal cage started early or using the spare ropes I have to chain the war dogs in the pasture with their kids.

Lastly, my Nest Box room has a bunch of fly swarms hanging out. Should I be concerned about letting the eggs just sit there with the swarms while waiting for them to hatch?
Quick, somebody who can pretend they know with a reasonable degree of believability hop in and act like they do!
You fucking rang?
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13694 on: May 31, 2011, 10:34:26 pm »

A roc appeared and probably would have killed my fortress had I not gotten lucky. After wiping out half my squad with minimal effort, it attacked a civilian Wax Worker and began strangling him. Being preoccupied with one dwarf let the remaining squad members close in and hack it to death.

gonna forbid everything else in the refuse stockpile to ensure it gets butchered before it rots. I don't think my dwarves will be going hungry any time soon.
Pages: 1 ... 911 912 [913] 914 915 ... 3842