Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 539 540 [541] 542 543 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6106625 times)

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8100 on: November 19, 2010, 09:15:37 pm »

It would of been a better idea to try it in May Green tileset, that's easier for new comers :)

I think the May Green tileset, and i mean no offense to the creator or anyone who uses it when I say this, looks like a pile of crap. I originally tried playing Dwarf Fortress using that tileset, and I was still horribly confused. It did not help to make the game easier to understand. So maybe it's just because of my own personal experience, but I do not think tilesets actually help. Then again I'm also one of thos ecrazy people who prefers ASCII vanilla graphics over every tileset.

If I did use a tileset though, I'd run into the problem of not knowing what I'm looking at since I never use them.

Honestly, I really think the reason it's not working out is because it has to go in gaming discussion, which moves way to fast. It's not designed to support threads that last more than 3 days tops. Heck, I think people just start avoiding threads after they reach a certain length because they don't want to bother reading all that. I'd kill for an LP subforum. Looking at old LP threads, most of them suffered the same fate as mine is. Crashing into obscurity and the creator feeling like a tosser that's just wasting their time.

So I guess I might just have to give up on this whole thing. What a shame. I was actually enjoying doing it, but I definitely don't enjoy trying to scavenge for any form of feedback.

EDIT: For the record, I am still going to finish this, even if at times it feels discouraging. I figure that if even 1 person really checks out Dwarf Fortress as a result and likes it, it will have been worth it. It's not like I had anything else to do when I wrote those updates anyways.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 09:38:57 pm by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8101 on: November 19, 2010, 09:48:14 pm »

The first child has been born in Dikecrimson, bringing the population to 80. We need more bedrooms and the food stockpile needs to be expanded. The squad is learning combat at a disappointingly slow rate, so once the goblins start showing up I'll get to work on cage traps, but we'll be able to handle the elf merchants and any kobolds who the dwarves can catch up to.

...Ah, here are the elves now. Come on in, guys. Yes, we'd love to talk about how great trees are. Ignore all the dead elf merchants in the refuse stockpile, that's nothing.

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8102 on: November 19, 2010, 10:17:43 pm »

Finally got a chance to play since .18 was released.
Generated a new world: The  World of Typhoons

1st of Granite, 1051
Monom Unionstrumpet, Expedition Leader of The Post of Depressions, an ardent worshipper of the dwarven goddess of pregnancy, arrived with his six female friends at the Furnace of Failure, a mighty volcano in the Jade Swamps. The major river Trimmedtones flows nearby, including its 7-z level waterfall.

The area is heavily forested and thick with other vegetation. For wildlife, alligators, gorillas, and hippos have all been spotted.

In an attempt to flee king Erib Glazetempests' rule, Monom establishes the outpost Flagmine in the area.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8103 on: November 19, 2010, 11:15:01 pm »

So I guess I might just have to give up on this whole thing. What a shame. I was actually enjoying doing it, but I definitely don't enjoy trying to scavenge for any form of feedback.

EDIT: For the record, I am still going to finish this, even if at times it feels discouraging. I figure that if even 1 person really checks out Dwarf Fortress as a result and likes it, it will have been worth it. It's not like I had anything else to do when I wrote those updates anyways.

Glad you're not going to give up on it.  I've been enjoying it.  Who knows if you'll succeed in introducing any new players, but if you like doing it, it doesn't really matter.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8104 on: November 19, 2010, 11:17:37 pm »

Mid Summer of 502 at Ringquest, pop. 39  fps 54(29)

The elves brought sun berries, but the soil will not accept surface seeds. So one of my four fields stands unused as a testament to Armok's bad engineering. My dreams of brewing sunshine have been dumped on by a cold hard reality.

The fisher dwarves are turning a handsome shipment, and the hunters have been bringing in hoary marmots as they migrate in from the mountains. Our larder is filled to the brim, and the chef is busily preparing lavish meals in anticipation of the human caravan's arrival.

With spring's huge influx of immigrants, it's time to start carving out a housing level. I've decided to treat my dwarves well, so instead of meager quarters they will be getting modest quarters.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 12:28:46 am by AngleWyrm »

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8105 on: November 19, 2010, 11:44:13 pm »

Preparing a proper GCS silk farm, using a demo video by Quietust for my example and a few hearty wishes for a new GCS since my original Urist McGCS finally collapsed, taming a bunch of wild Rhesus Macaques I caught (some of whom participated in the original Urist McGCS's demise), and have finished the draltha stables.

And Rimtod the possessed finally succumbed to his/her melancholy outside in the courtyard. Immediately it started raining, and DF's tiniest violin solo started...

ETA: My first notable syndrome, looks like. Two dogs, a cat, and a miner all seemingly spontaneously developed fevers. The miner also has bruising on his feet. My chief medic shrugged it off.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 12:11:15 am by proxn_punkd »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8106 on: November 20, 2010, 12:47:01 am »

It would of been a better idea to try it in May Green tileset, that's easier for new comers :)

I think the May Green tileset, and i mean no offense to the creator or anyone who uses it when I say this, looks like a pile of crap. I originally tried playing Dwarf Fortress using that tileset, and I was still horribly confused. It did not help to make the game easier to understand. So maybe it's just because of my own personal experience, but I do not think tilesets actually help. Then again I'm also one of thos ecrazy people who prefers ASCII vanilla graphics over every tileset.

If I did use a tileset though, I'd run into the problem of not knowing what I'm looking at since I never use them.

Honestly, I really think the reason it's not working out is because it has to go in gaming discussion, which moves way to fast. It's not designed to support threads that last more than 3 days tops. Heck, I think people just start avoiding threads after they reach a certain length because they don't want to bother reading all that. I'd kill for an LP subforum. Looking at old LP threads, most of them suffered the same fate as mine is. Crashing into obscurity and the creator feeling like a tosser that's just wasting their time.

Even if you get no readership on the escapist, just link the story stuff here to get feedback. I've been looking for decent community forts to read. And I thought Townbrush.txt was pretty good.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8107 on: November 20, 2010, 03:36:47 am »

Outpost Pearlchannel has been doing better than expected despite being on a Terrifying desert with stream embark....mostly due to an unforeseen defense system.  Since it's Genesis mod, the stream is FILLED with "Harmless" Minnows.

Monsters such as gargoyles and harpies have, instead of trying to path to my fort when it was woefully underprotected, instead path into the stream and fight the schools of minnows, which are sometimes over 20 strong.  Many minnows die usually, but sheer force of numbers and being surprisingly deadly has caused them to eliminate three harpies and two gargoyles all in short order, and they very nearly killed a giant gargoyle.  He left the map with most of his body parts red.

Currently, the minnows have been locked in a two-season long battle with a gargoyle.  It's not going anywhere.

Oh well, by now an elaborate defense system has been set up.  Thanks minnows!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8108 on: November 20, 2010, 04:26:57 am »

After last goblin siege proving rather difficult - dwarven warriors beeline'd into gobbos' squads instead going as a group - I've lost four dwarves, two to that goddamn sniper bowgoblin who sat on a cliff and shot arrows through fortifications.

A lot of people unhappy.

Lo and behold efreet Rigóth came to Glitterhammers. I dispatched squad of, I thought, eight hammerdwarves, but it seems I was looking at wrong squad and sent three speardwarves.

He breathes flame, the smoke rises and... no one is hurt. Next few moments, spearmaster Dodók stabs the fire-breathing titan into heart, and the megabeast bleeds to death in less than a game day.

Oh well...

That leaves me one more efreet, two molochs and additional vanilla titan to deal with some time in the future.

Maybe their fights will be more exciting/tragic/hillarious.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 04:34:52 am by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8109 on: November 20, 2010, 04:29:45 am »

Early Winter of 502 at Ringquest, pop. 54  fps 37(22)

Good news and Bad news. The good news is that after a consult with some experts in horticulture, I've been informed that topside crops don't grow in the mountainous areas of the map, but will grow in the swampy areas. So I dug out a farm site a short way to the south, and sure enough, success! I now have a plantation of Sun Berries, ripening for the best brew in the neighborhood.

The bad news is: No Booze! Due to my focus on getting a sun berry crop rolling, I neglected the booze stock levels, and everyone is wandering the halls in hung over sobriety. Worse yet, something died in the stairwell, and there are mutterings in the hall about how we're just a bunch of dirty cave dwellers. The bright light and cracked reason of the sober dwarves moping about is dragging us down. We need the super dwarvenly feeling of dark warmth and invincibility that comes with a properly alcohol-saturated brain stem.

Better news: The dwarven caravan has arrived just in time, bringing a small supply of booze, and more importantly loads of barrels. I have two stills set up to churn out production, and more barrels coming off the line, and lumberjacks ensuring that production continues. We won't do without booze again. It's just too disturbing.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 04:50:02 am by AngleWyrm »

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8110 on: November 20, 2010, 06:28:04 am »

It may not have been helpful to you but nearly every person I've tried to introduce to DF has looked at the ASCII graphics and told me there's no chance they'd understand it. I only managed to change any minds by showing them the game with Phoebus' tileset installed. It may be a sacrifice that you'll have to make if you want to ahcieve your goal of luring new players to the game. The same happened when a friend of mine introduced me to DF. The premise interested me but I really couldn't see myself playing until I discovered the available tileset mods. I'm enjoying your LP, and have enjoyed reading about Townbrush (I'm very much a lurker on these forums) so I think you definitely have the writing skills to lure people in but in my opinion and experience you'll have a lot more success luring people to the Fun with a tileset.

I'm currently in-between forts. I usually don't last long enough to really get interested in or start writing about my forts because I either take far too long to get some dwarves training or fail to set up adequete defensive traps before the semi-steel clad goblins show up. I could hole myself in with a raising bridge but I find it gets very dull if I rely on them too much. I plan to embark on a mountainous region with a volcano when I start again in order to artificially create a giant entrance cavern (without having to pump magma up hundreds of Z-levels) complete with magma-falls, a obsidian tower for my crossbow-dorfs to fire from and retracting draw-bridge defenses to purge any invaders in the magma. A volcano will also allow me to very quickly get a squad of dwarves geared up to start training so that I'm not tempted to spam draw-bridges or cage-traps in order to defend myself. I've been planning for a long while to document the progress of a fort in a similar way to Kraken's LP so I'll probably be starting that in about 2 weeks when I've handed in all of my assignments. It's more for personal fun than anything else but I might post the first few records on here and if people like it I'll make a thread or something.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 06:32:43 am by Darkweave »

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8111 on: November 20, 2010, 07:11:19 am »

As Darkweave said, most people find it easier to understand, seeing as a dwarf looks like a dwarf & a goblin looks like a goblin, very few things are just letters (Corpses tend to be g for goblin D for dog etc. & engravings have g for goblin) and tbh first time I tried playing DF with ASCII (i still use May Green) I couldn't relate to my guys, I couldn't understand it, it meant nothing to me. May Green seems simplest. You've got the writing skills, and your forts usually end in Fun, but ASCII is a bad choice for new players, it's a bit of a shock to the system if you get what I mean.

*Edit*
I'm writing a story about Deler Kodorerith, a peasant who came to my 40d Fortress of Cloisteredwood recently, and was drafted into the Fortress Guard. Written one & a half pages (747 words) so far, and still writing about him arriving! Here's the start is anyone's interested:
Hello, my name’s Deler Kodorerith, Deler Dawnladored to you humans. I hail from the mountainhomes of Thasdotheral, The Exalted Vessel. I had no job, no trade, and no future there. I’d heard of this new Colony, far North near the Bad Lands, called Cloisteredwood. It was often described as the Front Line in the war against the Goblin Hordes, and tales came back of great and glorious battles against the Goblin folk. I’d also heard that there was a place for anyone there – though for one in four that place was the famous Tomb of Cloisteredwood. The high casualty rate worked in my favour, places on the migrant convoys were plentiful. Twenty of us set out, going north with our wagons and mules, with a guard of four Elite Marksdwarfs, we headed into the badlands.

It took us two long hard months to reach Cloisteredwood. Along the way, we were ambushed no less than four times by Goblins. All of the guards were killed. Only twelve of us survived. I sent my prayers to the Great God Zuglar daily. Zuglar is the god I was brought up to worship, along with Armok of course. I could remember stories of Zuglar, taken from the great Holy texts that my Mother would read to me as a child, of him coming to earth as a Male Dwarf, with metal skin and jewels as eyes. She told me stories of him giving jewels and a holy metal to those who deserved to be blessed, along with the knowledge of how to make great works, so that the blessed, and their families, would be rich forever. I must have been good enough to earn His blessing, because, thanks to my prayers and offerings, the great Zuglar saw me through those dangerous times. As Cloisteredwood hove into view, I thought that the time of danger was at last over. I was wrong. Zuglar would have to see me through more dangers, in the years to come.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 08:07:04 am by Herbiie »
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8112 on: November 20, 2010, 08:20:09 am »

21st of Hematite, 1051
Flagmine is progressing slowly. Bedrooms have been set up for the original seven and a small dining area has been designated.
Monom set up his office with a statue of Onol Marketprices, god of trade and wealth, hoping to attract the ladies to his office while impressing foreign merchants.
A temporary wooden trade depot has been constructed and a magma glass furnace is already producing glass trade goods, so we should be ready when the caravans come.

Spoiler: COMBAT REPORT (click to show/hide)
The report zooms to the base of the waterfall, so we suspect the Milkfish was pushed over the edge by the water. If so, there will likely be a lot more reports like this.
The original plan was to build a grand entrance through the waterfall, but now questions are being raised about how we can safely work near the waterfall (and how we can weaponize this).

EDIT: 4th Malachite, 1051
6 migrants have arrived and are heading towards our dwindling booze stocks.
1) a wood cutter/clothier/gem setter
2) a wood crafter/wood burner
3) a stone crafter
4) a strand extractor
5) a butcher/brewer
6) a soaper
Also a breeding pair of horse foals.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 09:06:56 am by McDwarf »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8113 on: November 20, 2010, 09:53:40 am »

Glitterhammers has been besieged in the winter 242!

By whole army of goblins, clad in finest iron. Led by four generals - goblin axe lord Snodub, goblin master lasher Nak, and two dwarven traitors: Bowdwarf Smunstu and Pikemaster Usbu.

The army of Glitterhammers emerged victorious, with the greatest injury being a twisted ankle of one of the axedwarves.

It took half a month with 45 dwarves to clean the clothes and unusable armor from the battlefield.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

K17U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8114 on: November 20, 2010, 02:32:16 pm »

My Fortress just got two simultaneous goblin ambushes.
Due to some delay in the early game play (had to deal with an aquifer for the first time) I wasn't really prepared for them.
Every dorf got killed within a minute or so, save for one female miner who was agile enough to constantly outrun the goblins.
I checked her thoughts out of curiosity.
Turns out she was quite ecstatic about her situation, her only complaint being that she couldn't sleep due to all that noise lately.
Pages: 1 ... 539 540 [541] 542 543 ... 3842