Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 397 398 [399] 400 401 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6127022 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5970 on: September 14, 2010, 10:35:39 am »

2x2 embark at half of neutral jungle and neutral mountain.

I waited for population to hit 50 before breaching caves. Spend the time training militia and after getting Mayor, I decided to dig deeper.

So I breach the caverns, and few minutes later - FB!

Bronze camel that breathed fire and had mauve hair. Goddamn it was fast. My eight axedwarves partially equipped, in steel and bronze and what I had on hand, charged it, going to defend Fountainforges from this monstrosity.

They all died - four burned to death, four were struck down.

One dwarf ran into booze stockpile, giving the beast enough time to hurl a fireball at him. 5 casualties amongst drinking dwarves. Do I have that two dwarves that have escaped (by other stairs) set more of the fort ablaze?

I had fucking Camel of Desctruction and a dying burning fortress full of helpless crafters, children and peasants + some cave critters that snuck amongst the chaos. Then, two goblin ambushes sprung and I couldn't take it anymore.

'Abandon Fortress'.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5971 on: September 14, 2010, 10:40:35 am »

I seem have have hit on a way to design the fort that so far only deals with the areas I need or will need in the future.

I have dug out a level with so far between 100 and 109 3x3 rooms while using up every stone I have found to build a limestone tower over my entrance. The tower's area is so far about 3 stories high and 4-10x10 square areas with 3 wide hallways in between. Ground floor is unaltered forest landscape. Second floor is trade depot and stonecrafting (though I can't seem to get them to move the damn stonecrafts out of the workshop and into their adjacent stockpile...). Third floor is a warehouse floor (not sure what I'm storing there at present). Forth floor is currently under construction, not sure what to use it for.

The three by three bedrooms are arranged around a central staircase and also around numerous plazas. I intend to make each of these plazas have a purpose. One will be a dining room. Another will be a normal military training area. Another will have my custom military training workshops in them. Another might be a statute garden, still another might be a swimming pool. The central staircase seals off via drawbridges (as does the ground level tower entrance). The four corners of the living levels have decentralized staircases going up to food storage and other soon there will be other storage areas for weapons and armor and other areas depending upon what the plaza below it is used for. I also plan to give the dwarves personal houses, particularly those with children.

Industry is so far my downfall in this fort. I have only one migrant wave so far (one year in) and I have to set up the various industrial areas. This will include glassmaking as I have sand and want windows. I will also need to set up metalsmithing, which might actually go in the tower, but I have hopes that I have magma at a reasonable depth. If not, o well (it's looking like the tower for now). I also need to set up farming. So far I have been able to trade for everything I need but that wont' last (also I like being self sufficent). I'll probably set up and above ground farm for this purpose, and I mean its own semi independent area given to a married couple with kids. Same thing will probably lead me to build a ranger's cabin at some point for both above and below ground herbalism (I will probably at least partially dig out soil layers to create "artificial caverns" or I might "landscape" and dig/alter the terrain as I see fit.).

Have not hit caverns yet, uncertain exactly if I want to until I solve my other problems and get a definative countermeasure for invasions up and running.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5972 on: September 14, 2010, 11:01:08 am »

I'm refurbishing the prisons: I had two death of thirst because all the other dwarves were too busy doing nothing at the meeting room to bring them drinks. So now I'm replacing the large room with small 3x3 cells with chains instead of cages, beds, tables, chairs, a single tile food stockpile and a single tile booze stockpile, so that every prisoner has all that he needs. I don't want to see a tantrum because the mayor ordered some useless glass goblets that I can't make.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5973 on: September 14, 2010, 11:01:23 am »

The goblins have launched a siege again, and it couldn't have come at a worse time. Townbrush is populated by 28 dwarves, only one of which has any military skills to speak of. So I had to lockdown the entire fort, and I suspect it will stay in lock down for a long time. To make matters worse, another forgotten beast showed up. It's taken up residence in one of the ponds in the abyss. I know it won't stay there forever. One of the other forgotten beasts did the same thing, and then it attacked when I had forgotten about it. Luckily it was incredibly weak and killed by a single octopud. I won't be so lucky this time. I have no choice but to draft more people into the military, so that when they swarm the beast one of them will get a lucky hit with there adamantine weapons.

I don't think this will be the end of Townbrush. This is just going to be another troublesome year. Also, I realized that I haven't posted a picture of the main area in a long time, so here's one for anyone that actually cares;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Townbrush fun fact: 28 Forgotten Beasts have visited Townbrush, 5 of which are still alive.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #5974 on: September 14, 2010, 11:14:07 am »

I was playing an adventurer for a bit after Sazirruthösh fell, but after killing 12 goblins, a forgotten beast, two trolls, and a bunch of other minor things in between sites, she got kicked in the head by a camel and died.

Sazirruthösh therefore lives again, with four military dwarves (who have already killed the goblins left over from my adventurer's rampage, plus a pack of troglodytes), a farmer, a miner, and a skill-less hauler. Hopefully I get some immigrants soon.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5975 on: September 14, 2010, 11:25:37 am »

Accidentally locked us in by putting drawbridges over both entry ramps, then removing all other ramps before realizing I still needed access to those bridges to rig them to the levers. Then the mason/mechanic, the only one capable of building a temp ramp to get the starving people out to the scattered food and booze those useless fks failed to bring into the fort when they were ordered to, went insane.

During my post-fort assessment tour with an adventurer, it occurred to me that instead of pumping magma into this moat, I would really love to fill it with blood. Upward spikes might be a good start, but I don't think goblins will volunteer for impalement at the necessary numbers -- that and the undead seem to be doing a good job wiping them out when left out with them.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5976 on: September 14, 2010, 11:26:54 am »

The goblins have launched a siege again, and it couldn't have come at a worse time. Townbrush is populated by 28 dwarves, only one of which has any military skills to speak of. So I had to lockdown the entire fort, and I suspect it will stay in lock down for a long time. To make matters worse, another forgotten beast showed up. It's taken up residence in one of the ponds in the abyss. I know it won't stay there forever. One of the other forgotten beasts did the same thing, and then it attacked when I had forgotten about it. Luckily it was incredibly weak and killed by a single octopud. I won't be so lucky this time. I have no choice but to draft more people into the military, so that when they swarm the beast one of them will get a lucky hit with there adamantine weapons.

I don't think this will be the end of Townbrush. This is just going to be another troublesome year. Also, I realized that I haven't posted a picture of the main area in a long time, so here's one for anyone that actually cares;

Townbrush fun fact: 28 Forgotten Beasts have visited Townbrush, 5 of which are still alive.
Nice, sounds fun. One forgotten beast for every dwarf

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5977 on: September 14, 2010, 11:59:59 am »

Hm.... Reactor looking promising. Maybe I'll start it tonight, we'll have to see, Got to run to class.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5978 on: September 14, 2010, 12:23:52 pm »

I have zombie elephants to consider in my plans. No skeletal ones, though.

EDIT: I also changed the dragon's attack triggers to 0, 0, 0.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 12:26:22 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

sjaakwortel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5979 on: September 14, 2010, 12:28:34 pm »

Just having a bunch of WTF's happening with my zombie friends
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 12:30:27 pm by sjaakwortel »
Quote from: Greep on May 08, 2010, 07:55:20 pm
do dwarves move any slower when using the stairs?
Compared to falling? Yes.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5980 on: September 14, 2010, 12:32:48 pm »

Accidentally breached HFS and experiencing FPS-death now. Thinking of letting the HFS deal with FBs and indigenous trolgodyte, snakemen, antmen and crumble population in cave, since I haven't really breached the caves yet anyhow. Might as well.. At least the cave population should limit itself from now on to more static numbers.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #5981 on: September 14, 2010, 12:35:28 pm »

The fates and fortunes of Townbrush are one of the reasons I keep coming back to this thread.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5982 on: September 14, 2010, 12:36:34 pm »

The fates and fortunes of Townbrush are one of the reasons I keep coming back to this thread.

Same here.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5983 on: September 14, 2010, 12:40:05 pm »

Forgotten beast leather has a value of 5 dwarfbucks?  :'(

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5984 on: September 14, 2010, 12:59:29 pm »

Another forgotten beast showed up. I've been getting a lot lately. This one started heading straight towards the fort, so I mobilized the military. They did manage to slay it, but not without a casualty. The beast ripped a dwarves ear off, injected his deadly spittle into the wound, and then tore off one of his arms before getting killed. The dwarf then collapsed later after suffocating, presumably as a result of the syndrome. Still, at least I know my military is capable of taking out a forgotten beast.

Despite the goblins being locked outside, they are still harassing the workers. Apparently by shaking their fists at them from across the ditch, since they can't actually hurt the workers. Yet my haulers still panic everytime they wander anywhere near this one squad of hammer goblins. They are standing next to the tower I tried to build, a project that fell apart a long time ago. The only purpose it serves now is for storing corpses in the graveyard beneath it. So they wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for this one idiot that keeps trying to climb the tower. For what reason? Apparently to eat this one plump helmet lying on top. We have plenty of plump helmets lying in the food stockpile, but this guy will only accept this one plump helmet. It's gotten to the point where he is starving because he refuses to eat anything else.

These goblins don't have any ranged units, with the exception of a legendary blow gunner. To bad nobody in my fort knows how to hold a crossbow.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.
Pages: 1 ... 397 398 [399] 400 401 ... 3842