Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120381 times)

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #3165 on: May 26, 2010, 06:27:05 pm »

just started a new embark with a road that runs through it.... it seems like the dwarves made a couple of interesting design choices. There is a stone road going all the way across, going up and down with the slope of the land and then there is a bridge that goes a ways out over a gap and then just stops. If that weren't weird enough, the bridge is built over top one side of the road.... I think I'm going to turn it into a creative megaproject trade depot or something.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: May 26, 2010, 07:10:40 pm »

I found what I think is the second cavern layer in my map (but I haven't explored the Underground enough to understand it fully), but I have a functional military (O.o) and a powerful hallway of giant axeblades, spiked balls and cages. The only problem... I have killed only 2 creatures: A Crundle that managed to sneak into my fort (I accidentally opened it up to the first cavern I found, which had GCS's and who knows what else...) and a goblin thief who walked into a cage trap, and attempted to escape when I was trying out my mini-drowning chamber)

The fort looks pretty haphazard, mainly as I was trying to avoid the cavern layer (which skewed my entire fort, as it was directly below my main level), and also dodge a large brook. But it has many features... well... only one ATM. Which is an underground aqueduct: Ships water straight from the brook to the meeting hall...

I might have to find something to do... so I am now trying to establish a stable base in the cavern. First I have to open it up a little... so I am strip mining the entire cavern, while being overseen by my military guards.

Oh... and my starting seven Woodcutter / Jeweler is currently constantly hospitalised. He got scratched by the crundle, and refuses to announce that he is safe and fit for duty. Obviously the suturing bug is still there, as he has a suturing request and a dressing request but no injuries.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: May 26, 2010, 08:28:50 pm »

what was it made of? If you tell me, then I can tell you.
It was a dwarf who really likes [material].

She liked limonite and mussel shell.  The cloth itself was dyed with hide root but I think it was the gems that actually gave it such an insane value even though she didn't like them in particular.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Hurgal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: May 26, 2010, 10:12:38 pm »

The Fortress guard is trying their best to fight off the underground fauna but are failing miserably.  They aren't as trained as the regular army, and they are only using maces.  It's like a scene from benny hill as they chase the elk birds around the fortress while a war dog and a giant rat are having a nibble fight.  One of the fortress guard actually fell into my sacrifice to Armok pit in his incompetence and broke most of the bones in his body after landing on a menacing spike and passing out.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hears strains of Yakety Sax every time the dodging olympics start.

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: May 27, 2010, 06:10:43 pm »

About to start Yet Another Embark.  I gen'd ten medium regions, dumped out their world map .bmps, and then eyeballed each one looking for dark-blue rivers in hilly or mountainous terrain.  In my seventh region I found a broad river that has carved a long canyon through ~10 z-levels of savanna/grassland/shrubland country.  It has waterfalls along its entire length, as brooks drain into it.  Then I re-ran world generation with different history seeds until I got a good mix of civilizations (the dwarves tended to cluster in some southern mountains, leaving the elves to wipe out all local goblins).

The site I chose has an 11-z waterfall, lots of ores and some flux (marble), but no sedimentary layer and probably no lignite or coal.  I figure I'll learn to use waterwheels to pump magma up to my forges.  I also finally get to play with fisher-dwarves, since I've spotted longnose gar, carp, and sea lamprey in the river. 

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: May 27, 2010, 07:20:15 pm »

About to start Yet Another Embark.  I gen'd ten medium regions, dumped out their world map .bmps, and then eyeballed each one looking for dark-blue rivers in hilly or mountainous terrain.  In my seventh region I found a broad river that has carved a long canyon through ~10 z-levels of savanna/grassland/shrubland country.  It has waterfalls along its entire length, as brooks drain into it.  Then I re-ran world generation with different history seeds until I got a good mix of civilizations (the dwarves tended to cluster in some southern mountains, leaving the elves to wipe out all local goblins).

The site I chose has an 11-z waterfall, lots of ores and some flux (marble), but no sedimentary layer and probably no lignite or coal.  I figure I'll learn to use waterwheels to pump magma up to my forges.  I also finally get to play with fisher-dwarves, since I've spotted longnose gar, carp, and sea lamprey in the river.

You can't actually use fisherdwarves to fish those things up. They'll tear your dwarves apart if they go near the river, most likely.

Fisherdwarves only fish up vermin fish, I believe, which exist on most maps but may not be visible.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Terisuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: May 27, 2010, 08:43:10 pm »

I just started a new embark on what might be the best position ever.  There's a river which flows across the map on a high z-level, then drops about 10z into a lake which splits into two more rivers that flow off the map.  Overlooking this lake, between the two rivers, there is a narrow promontory with sheer cliffs on almost all sides.  This is where I've built my base.  From this commanding position, there is only one real venue of access naturally present, but a series of bridges connects the top level for ease in migrant and caravan travel.  These are, of course, RETRACTABLE bridges, the better to unceremoniously dump any green-skinned unwanteds into the river below - far below. 

I've just started, but once I've mined out the promontory a bit I plan to build a series of bridges on the mid-z levels which link the mountains across the river gorges so that I can mine to my heart's content.  Waterwheels at the lake edge are also a must, so that I can pump some of the water up top in a stack to satiate my thirsty farms.  The tops of the mountains are heavily wooded, so that's making initial base-building easy - not to mention that my promontory seems to be made almost entirely of lignite, hematite, limonite and bituminous coal.  Oh, and gem-infested bauxite. 

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: May 27, 2010, 09:23:34 pm »

Vastly improved efficiency by digging an incinerator chute that dumps directly into the magma pipe, rather than using an unused channel in the forge room that's fairly far from the rest of the fort. Celebrated its completion with a puppy drop. The first one exploded onto the hatch I built to keep critters from flying up out of the caverns (oops), but the second drop went better. Well, if melting to death on top of the magma flow is better than shattering into a dozen pieces on top of a hatch...
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

hamburgerfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: May 27, 2010, 10:22:17 pm »

My trader went berserk due to a failed strange mood and was immediately beheaded.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: May 27, 2010, 11:24:20 pm »

My trader went berserk due to a failed strange mood and was immediately beheaded.
Good for your military, then. they don't seem to be a bugged as the rest.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Mordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: May 28, 2010, 01:41:43 am »

Sometimes you just have to smile.  A craftdwarf just made a relic figurine of my other relics and dwarves that created them, where one of them is holding up a relic mug.
This Forgotten Beast was delicious!

daoist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: May 28, 2010, 02:01:44 am »

Mayor wants me to make slade items.  :'(

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: May 28, 2010, 02:04:01 am »

A bronze colossus showed up, ended up abandoning the fort out of impatience.  I must have broken off most of its body parts hoping for the kill shot, but it didn't happen...

So, instead I genned a new world and found a great site with a volcano (that reaches all the way down to the magma sea...spotted semi-molten rock from embark).  Plenty of murky pools for farming and wells, lots of trees but sadly no river.  Flux might not be available; I don't recall if I saw marble or chalk in the embark screen, but it's got sedimentary, metamorphic, and igneous layers for sure so there's a chance something useful is there for steel, although I could always trade for it if needed.

The best part is the layout...a massive, sheer mountain that's completely even across the length of the map.  It reminds me of old-school 2D Dwarf Fortress, albeit this time with three digits' worth of z-layers.  Fortunately, a good number of them are above ground so future cavern expansion won't be too difficult to reach, although for now I'm going to play it safe and stay out of the caverns until I've got a fully equipped military.

I also set the ending date to 1946 to see if my fort could thrive as long as Rapture.  We just have to be careful and not hit ADAMantine too soon.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: May 28, 2010, 04:06:04 am »

Started a new fort, because the other one was boring. This one is more fun :D I am playing no farms, and no dwarves doing jobs that are dabbling or below (Architecture was an exception)

Anyway, I am in a haunted / spooky start, and played the first three seasons reasonably safely. And then the winter of 1055 hit. Oh no... the winter. In that winter, Ogre hoards and werewolves managed to kill of over half my fort. Including my herbalist, and my brewer. Booze stocks were already low, so by the first month of winter, I was without booze.

The continuing hoards of werewolves made drinking at the nearby brook a nearly suicidal mission, and as a result, many dwarves died (I had no doctors or surgeons to heal the injured dwarves either!) After Ogres wiped out our first architect and our only trade depot, it was looking bleak.

The fort was saved by an axedwarf named Atis Trussbanners, a powerful axedwarf who came with a bronze breastplate, a bronze shield, and a copper war-axe (which was later upgraded to bronze, by the looks of it). Currently she has pulled off 32 kills, including 10 ogres and 4 werewolves.

After three long months of booze-free hell, where almost no work was done, spring came around, and the werewolves and ogres fled to the hills. A quick trade with the elves for thier booze, and a migrant wave has restocked many people (although I am still lacking a brewer or a plant gatherer). Food is insane, but I still don't have a clothesmaker to make ropes which will allow me to setup my underground cattle ranch. I also still lack a wood burner or a furnace operator, but I managed to get an anvil. Oh, and my mechanic died, so I don't have any traps, nor do I have any traction benches which my new doctor needs.

Now our fortress is fortified, booze is in the stockpiles, and many jobs are being filled. Werewolves and ogres often come, but they are not a problem. Autumn is still 3 months away, before our fort can truly grow. But I stopped now because of a migrant wave. Hoping for a mechanic, furnace operator, wood burner, and clothesmaker!

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: May 28, 2010, 05:55:26 am »

Flooded one of my forts AGAIN. Seriously, i think i've outgrown the newby status and still i ALWAYS seem to forget that walls won't stick to freaking bridges, an exceptionally stupid mistake to make if said bridge is located above, and your fortress beneath, a river.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 3842