Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3798 3799 [3800] 3801 3802 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6118495 times)

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56985 on: December 15, 2022, 09:21:13 pm »

Necromancers have mental adjustments from their secrets, making them more paranoid. I wonder, does it stack if the necromancer has multiple secrets?

Only one way to find out I guess. !!science!! time.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56986 on: December 15, 2022, 10:54:09 pm »

a series of unfortunate events. minor spoilers

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #56987 on: December 16, 2022, 10:55:04 am »

Second survey of the main fort is complete.

And the news is not good.

Turn out the clearance estimate was slightly bigger than reality. The first cavern has a tall ceiling. So tall in fact that the conglomerate aquifer itself slopes into the cavern.

The good news is that I can still fit in the bedrooms and the main amenities in the east wing. The guild halls and two temples will probably have to squeeze into the main hall of the east wing, but I can work with that, as there are sections of the main hall of the east wing that probably won't see much use otherwise. Dance area might be limited, though, and I might need to make expansions for more guilds.

The industrial west wing is the worst hit, but I expected that. The crafters' hall will be limited to three z-levels, but with full area. The farmworkers' hall, however, is limited to two z-levels. The bottom floor of the farmworkers' hall is missing about a third of its full area, and part of the remaining area is for farm plots. I think I can fit animal pens in the space in-between the halls. I was planning on having the refuse there, anyways.

It will be interesting to see if I can fit in all of the specialized workshops in the farmworkers' hall.

Maybe in the future will I move the entire main fort to below the first cavern, because this aquifer is a menace.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

EmperorCoolidge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56988 on: December 16, 2022, 11:55:42 am »

Everything going fine, fort has basically come together we're all set. A bunch of grey langurs showed up and made a nuisance of themselves until they ran into a couple visiting adventurers.

Then I checked the unit screen to see if there were any langurs left alive... there are not, but there is one still moving out there. I'm not in an evil biome, and no open necromancers are present so now I am *intensely* paranoid. I do not want to play "where's the necromancer!"

Checked everyone, no secret identities. Dropped a head in the meeting hall, no one raised it. Checked for a tower, no tower. Don't think it's biome, I'm not next to one that I could see at embark and the zombie killed a guy three tiles from where it was raised with no zombie. I am becoming so paranoid.

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56989 on: December 16, 2022, 12:08:19 pm »

Yeah 5 now, and I only got one migrant wave. I have 3 dwarves, so it's essentially a fort for random visitors. But they citizenship-petions are rolling in, so I have 8 soldiers now and soon should get a bard that I can appoint to be doctor.

I was doing bedrooms, but then anothe undead invasion halted that for 4 months while I dug out a trap hall and had the lazy dwarves put traps there.

In the meantime the undead were roaming the surface, fighting the large amout of visitors on the surface, maybe 40 people that were hanging around waiting for the fort to open. I saw one fight where like 15 poets and bards mobbed a zombie and killed it.

A lot of stuff happend during the invasion that I didn't deal with as I was busy:

There was some sort of fight in the tavern, at least the floor is littered with rotten corpses I can't get rid of. I have 3 ghosts and maybe 20 corpses inside the fort. They're set to be dumped in the atom smasher, but it's not getting done.

I have a goblin dancer and some elf standing in the same square for months outside the tavern with "no job". I noticed them because they're standing on a miasma-creating corpse I can't click to remove because he's standing on it. His hand it broken, so I will make a hospital and see if that makes him leave.

I think I have a vampire in the fort as well, I noticed a dead body lying in a sort of side hallway.

Artefacts are getting stolen left and right. It doesn't really bother me, as I have loads of artefacts the bards brought with them. I have like 40 books in the library, all of them "donated" by guests. Many of them would have walked in and then get killed by invaders, and then the books ends in my posession.

I have tons of weapon artefacts, idk where they came from.

A dogexplosion happened very fast, I have SO many dogs. I will butcher them and eat them. I need leather as well.

In the end the undead were killed; the last zombie was for some reason stuck in a tree on the edge of the map. I sent the marksdwarves there to shot it down, but they preferred to climb the tree and, I presume, bash it to death with their crossbows. I can't find the relevant combat reports in the list of like 30 fights so IDK, but they got the job done!

Anyway, it's shaping up! The trap hallway should deal with the next undead wave.

So next playing session I can make stuff more serious. More bedrooms. I need to make a hospital and offices for the sherif. I have done NOTHING for the nobles so far. I should start producing clothes (dead guests are leaving so many clothes that I'm not even sure I need it), and make sheets to the visitors can write books. I'm also looking for clay and should make some soap.

The game is also slowing down, so I need to atom smash all the body parts and butcher the dogs and maybe cut down most of the trees. I should maybe also cut the population and get rid of some people.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #56990 on: December 16, 2022, 05:59:12 pm »

Pipes have been laid, the cistern is prepped for filling, and the farms for irrigation.

It's time to carve out the rest.  :D

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56991 on: December 17, 2022, 04:59:24 pm »

My "small little tavern fort to learn new mechanics" grew to 120 inhabitants. 20 of those are visiting residents, 4 are intelligent animals and summons, and the rest are dwarves.

The residents keep agreeing to steal artifacts from us. I've decided to solve this by putting all the artifacts on a display behind fortifications and a gem window in the tavern. Nobody can touch them while the window is up, I can pull it down quickly to put new ones in. A door would have been easier I guess, but I don't have any nice expensive doors to use right now.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

bool1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56992 on: December 17, 2022, 06:24:38 pm »

Got too used to DF hack convenience commands.

Now I have to figure out how to play at the small scale again.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56993 on: December 17, 2022, 08:07:06 pm »

Really damp embark. Light aquifer at the top, no problem. But found myself under a year-long siege from wild dwarves (own mod) and really not up to facing steel right now.
Out of wood so dug through a 2nd aquifer to the caverns, which were all flooded, then down to the second cavern layer and finally found some trees. Just gotta wall off a large working area. Should be OK - surely cavern critters are all friendly... Couple of hunters are helping keep stuff at bay (for now).
Anyway, lots of food and plenty of booze and not gonna run out of water any time soon. Very nice ambient dripping water sound effects adding to the general moist atmosphere.

Dwarves themselves are deliriously happy. Don't go outdoors and enjoy a shower on every hauling run, awesome!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 11:11:38 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #56994 on: December 17, 2022, 08:36:51 pm »

A giant cave spider claimed 23 lives before finally being taken down.

Meanwhile, the giant that attacked the fort was slain without a single injury.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56995 on: December 17, 2022, 10:30:58 pm »

elves brought a tame unicorn. Sadly, I didn't realize that bones offended them, and they threatened us and left the depot.

yeah, they didn't make it very far. Does steel also offend you!?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Justin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56996 on: December 18, 2022, 02:11:54 am »

What was the age of the giant? I once got an infant giant "attack".

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #56997 on: December 18, 2022, 12:50:50 pm »

The Farmworkers' Hall has been kitted out with workshops and dummy stockpiles. It seems I may actually be able to have the textile industry there as well. Designations have also been marked for power generation and transfer. No more querns!

The refuse storage can luckily be moved one more z-level down, which means more room for pens, animal storage, and possibly even room for an extra wood storage.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #56998 on: December 18, 2022, 08:10:34 pm »

What was the age of the giant? I once got an infant giant "attack".
It was full grown, but it got distracted by an echidna that it exhausted itself trying to kill. My two-dwarf military was able to finish him off easily.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56999 on: December 19, 2022, 03:29:18 am »

Echidnas seem to be the ultimate distraction, ether for the good of the fort or its downfall.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 3798 3799 [3800] 3801 3802 ... 3842