Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3653 3654 [3655] 3656 3657 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6119225 times)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #54810 on: March 30, 2020, 10:58:56 am »

Someone has left a pile of small-sized clothing on my tavern floor. Meanwhile, a completely butt naked elven scholar is hanging around in the temple.
I'm tempted to assume there's a connection between these two, but sizes don't seem to match. What's happening here?

Few game years later I again find a pile of clothes without an owner, just lying on the floor of my visitor shrine. They appear to be sized for gorlaks, but I don't remember seeing any gorlaks visiting this fort.

What am I looking at here? Weres? Insanity? Sudden death? I'm sure I would have noticed any of those happening.

Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54811 on: March 30, 2020, 03:04:07 pm »

You can see the list of visitors your fort entertained (or used for entertainment); run a text search on your gamelog.txt for "is visiting". You might need to tell the app to use a "binary search".
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54812 on: March 30, 2020, 05:48:13 pm »

Ah. Based on the log file and the Legends I think it might have been a were who had the bad judgement of transforming right in the middle of a crowd of "death zombie" and "corrupted zombie" visitors.

What's up with that, btw? I hardly get any normal visitors anymore in .47.xx; they're all either necromancers or various intelligent undead. A game feature or just a roll of dice during worldgen?
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #54813 on: March 30, 2020, 06:37:11 pm »

Toady probably just let necromancer's create/send out too many lieutenants overall and they're over-occupying the historical figure population that's allowed to do stuff like wander and seek artifacts, leaving little opportunity for other wanderers. Or, they're all simultaneously dead-set on infiltrating your fort for some reason, despite a whole world out there to infiltrate.

My forts all went silly after loyalty cascades. I got one good save uploaded for toady to test, right before one type of loyalty cascade started (from a tantrumming dwarf hitting a visitor). Hopefully that helps.

My new fort is struggling to build a roof over the starting area hut because some vultures won't fuck off. And an evil man eating tree was trying to kill everyone, but we only had a handful of casualties in putting it down.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 06:40:44 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54814 on: March 30, 2020, 07:07:17 pm »

About halfway through the second year. First, and so far only, mood was a fey armorer, so hells yeah to that. I've largely set up automated smelting and fuel production via manager queues.

Damn near killed the entire fort by forgetting to set the stills on constant production. When a large migrant wave hit, I noticed the booze stocks were about a dozen drinks. I kinda forgot about that... for a while. Then I noticed a number of !dwarves!, some even going to the murky pond outside.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54815 on: April 02, 2020, 02:57:01 am »

A dwarf threw a tantrum and destroyed a gem window inside a temple... then he was cursed.
Said dwarf changed into a wereweasel and slaughtered half of the population.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 03:05:23 am by Libash_Thunderhead »

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54816 on: April 02, 2020, 04:32:37 am »

animal caretakers are my personal form of garbagedwarf. They flock here in their masses, demand a fancy guildhall. Half of them are women with children, stress prone, and worst of all, most of them are incredibly polytheistic with many and frequent worship needs, so i can't draft them.

Building a Complex of Small Gods so that dwarves can worship their individual gods, rather than worship at the Pantheon temple. Hoping that this will speed up the worship fulfilment process and mitigate the drain on my fort these dwarves are. Might have to exile the worst offenders.
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54817 on: April 02, 2020, 04:19:14 pm »

The Crypt of Joy fell really fast. It was a fortress in the Joyous Wilds one world map tile from two necromancer towers.  We had about 25 dorfs, including one necromancer who I was a little excited about seeing in action, so I sent him to the military.

6-9 months in we got sieged by the undea.  I forgot to make defenses and hadn't found metal yet. So I locked the hatch and turtled.  Then I noticed my farm screwed up, not sure how. Plumps were set to brew only and for somehow we ran out of spawn. They also weren't getting put in barrels for storage and they all started withering.  Then we ran out of drinks.

So I quickly mined until I found water in the second caverns, opened it up immediately was attacked by a croc. I have no clue how it got there so fast, it was literally in the freshly opened path, which was not close to water. My unarmed, unarmored military was sent down to die for their brethren, which they did. The necro then brought one guy back as intelligent and everyone else's body parts back as zombies.  The intelligent killed the croc and the necro brought it back as a zombie, presumably to fight all the zombie arms that were everywhere.  95% of the fort died trying to run past the croc to water, or to get back into the fort.

I eventually managed to get the IU back into fort while the zombies chased cavern life.  Where he sat with a bard for months until he died of thirst. Then a migrant wave showed up, I attempted to lure them into the fort by unlocking the hatch which magically the zombies got into unseen while I watched, killing my only undead soldier.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54818 on: April 02, 2020, 05:08:11 pm »

Undead arrived. 30 of my 40 soldierdwarves engaged about 4(of around 30) and were immediately ripped apart. Something called "sunless" swordsdwarves.

Welp. Unless I'm willing to completely cheat, which I am but dfhack apparently isn't updated for 0.47.04 yet, this fort is doomed since I saved upon their arrival.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54819 on: April 02, 2020, 05:26:28 pm »

Undead arrived. 30 of my 40 soldierdwarves engaged about 4(of around 30) and were immediately ripped apart. Something called "sunless" swordsdwarves.

Welp. Unless I'm willing to completely cheat, which I am but dfhack apparently isn't updated for 0.47.04 yet, this fort is doomed since I saved upon their arrival.
Reload, close the gate?
You don't have to fight them, do you?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54820 on: April 03, 2020, 06:20:54 am »

Reload, close the gate?
You don't have to fight them, do you?

I was in the middle of building the wall when they arrived, so the only way to keep them out would be to get as many people underground as possible and wall off the entrance. That's not actually a bad idea, as it would only cut off access to farm plots, trade depot, and the animal pasture.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #54821 on: April 03, 2020, 07:31:28 am »

Ettin arrived, quickly dispatched by my military. But it apparently took it's whole treasury with it: I now have a bismuth bronze artifact crossbow, an enormous artifact iron corkscrew and the artifact silver spear the Ettin had been using as their personal weapon...

Also needed to get a library setup for my abstraction needing dwarves, so I sent out a squad to explore the nearby empty fort: apparantly there was a goblin there who was really into writing books about themselves and the fort, so my dwarves get to enjoy the collected works of Song Seducearrows, pilgrim, mercenary and writer of guides to Hollowmined. Unfortunately (or fortunately) the guy never learned the autobiography form, so instead it's a collection of ranting essays and vicious guides.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54822 on: April 03, 2020, 08:31:47 am »

Now I'm thinking about vicious guidebooks, like a map to famous stars' houses in Hollowmined that repeats all the trashiest gossip. Could be quite entertaining for a certain crowd.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #54823 on: April 03, 2020, 10:10:43 am »

I wouldn't so much know about guides, but the quite cruel and disjointed essay on the goblin's marriage to another goblin doesn't leave much to the imagination... I should check the legends later to see if they stayed married.

A Giantess and another set of worlgen artifacts, but instead of using the bismuth bronze warhammer or the copper shield, the Giantess used a dwarf bone coffin to bash my swordsdwarf to death. Sadly I had already setup my tombs and thus could not indulge in the irony of burrying that dwarf in that coffin. Also have had several years of no goblin sieges... turns out the goblin civs this fort is sandwiched between are both trying to conquer the elven civ(s) that are all over the forest down south. Ah well, more time to prepare defences...

Edit: Added a screenshot of the latter to the wiki, given that tidbit was set to verify.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 10:23:54 am by therahedwig »
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Nilsolm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54824 on: April 03, 2020, 01:41:13 pm »

I just got attacked by a werebeast necromancer who not only killed several dwarves before the military could get to him, but also raised them back up immediately as rampaging werecorpses. Oh, and he also caused a loyalty cascade.

21 dwarves are dead and at least seven of those who somehow survived possibly got werefluenza. Good times.
Pages: 1 ... 3653 3654 [3655] 3656 3657 ... 3842