Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3527 3528 [3529] 3530 3531 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5962356 times)

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52920 on: October 30, 2018, 04:21:08 pm »

Managed to again get one of those worlds where dwarven civilizations are nearly dead and most of living dwarves are assimilated into conquering goblin civilizations. As a result my "last dwarven hope" -themed glacial fort is getting migrant dwarves with goblin names and cultural values:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They also come in with histories of murder and even toddlers have combat skills. I'm predicting some ethnic tension in the future for this fortress...

Time for the dawn of a new Dwarven culture it seems!

Urist McUristUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Does anyone ever read post titles?
« Reply #52921 on: October 30, 2018, 07:24:06 pm »

First functioning fort, interesting stuff that happened:

First Mayor election. Expedition leader didn't get elected because they were assigned to cut gems in their workshop all the time. The elected mayor was a woodcrafter.
The engravings in the Mayor's requiered rooms had the expedition leader all over the place, as well as the group and civ symbols. Also dwarves fighting hydras.
I also got an engraving of a masterwork engraving of the civ's symbol.

Also almost got my fort flooded while trying to set up an underground well.

Werepanda arrived without me having a proper military. They only killed two dwarves before turning into an elf (which was flickering, so presumably a legendary one?), which then got attacked by a civillian spinner, ran down to the deepest mines, got back up to the dwarve's quarters, then got attacked and killed by the spinner. The spinner managed to get out of the situation with just broken and cut fingers and a dented eyelid.

An overlooked migrant's Yak died in a temple, basically half the dwarves were affected by the miasma.

The most popular god in the fort is the god of destruction.

AudiRgr8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52922 on: October 30, 2018, 07:47:43 pm »

We of the Charcoal Urns have reached our seventh year in Tholrakust, "Deeptombs" in the common tongue. A bit of backstory: The fortress is a 1x2 (vertical) embark with half savannah and the other a terrifying lone mountain. It frequently rains human blood (or snows in winter) and the dark powers of the mountain also have the effect of raising the odd corpse or two, though thankfully less powerful than when alive. Still, it makes hauling a dead forgotten beast to the butchery a dangerous effort.

The first embark attempt was destroyed after a werehyena ravaged the fledging militia and the reanimated corpses killed the rest. The second attempt was a squad of macedwarves who, quite sadly, did not have their weapons equipped upon arrival and died soon after. The third (and current) was a band of axedwarves who, lead by our expedition leader Zefon Cometposts was finally able to retake Deeptombs. The mountain continues to resist our excavating of its core, raising corpses and raining vile weather whenever it can spare, but we seem to be doing alright. A forest has literally just sprung up in the past year or two outside the gates and we like to think that it is a reflection of us taming the dark force and enabling life to regrow. The entire fortress is built around a 4x4 plunging chasm of empty space, so the dwarves need to be careful when merrymaking in the tavern not to tip off the edge and to their deaths. Burying citizens in coffins doesn't seem to work so their remains are atom smashed and their entire life history etched onto a small slab and chucked into a big room with all the others.

I am keeping it small and compact to avoid fps death and am hoping it will be a long lasting fort. I recently spent loads of effort into finding suitable matches and have conscripted arranged certain dwarves into marriages with compatible others. The aim is to bring up population to 50 to enable a mayor and then leave it trucking along there.

Let me know if those images don't work as I really don't know how to work the image system on this forum.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 11:18:34 pm by AudiRgr8 »

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52923 on: October 30, 2018, 10:06:49 pm »

There's no image system. You upload to a site like photobucket or imgur, and link to that.

AudiRgr8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52924 on: October 30, 2018, 11:06:46 pm »

There's no image system. You upload to a site like photobucket or imgur, and link to that.

Ah okay just uploaded urls, how do I make it so the image opens with the 'spoiler' as opposed to a link?

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52925 on: October 31, 2018, 04:41:34 am »

Ah okay just uploaded urls, how do I make it so the image opens with the 'spoiler' as opposed to a link?
To get this:
You use spoiler tags. Type it like this:
Code: [Select]
[spoiler][img]http://puu.sh/BTlUq/1f09aa8064.jpg[/img][/spoiler]

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #52926 on: October 31, 2018, 05:03:54 am »

AudiRgr8, i wouldn't be able to make such a neat and small fort work at all. it would crumble too soon from me not knowing how to keep the dorfs busy and producing anything useful for trading.

in some version it was possible to even see tunnels on the embark maps, so i often chose to create secured etrances to the tunnels - with varying success.
i just made a backup of my worlds on another HDD, just in case my linux acts up again.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #52927 on: October 31, 2018, 05:52:05 am »

What a shitshow the yesterday's session was. My fort was sieged by 10 horse people, so with my military of 30 well-trained drow I wasn't worried. The armies clashed and suddenly... the enemies started entering martial trances like there's no tomorrow. Three soldiers lost limbs, one was seriously wounded but still able to hold a sword and a shield.

Then a drow caravan appeared. I was tinkering with raws to fix my fort not getting nobles, so I couldn't wait for the liaison to arrive. Except she never showed up and I still have no idea if my fixes worked. My civ is now officially struggling and I must attract the queen before the capital falls.

So the caravan was a disappointment, but at least I have time to rebuild the militia and clean up the surface, right? Wrong. A bunch of literal clowns and their war boars sprung from an ambush to brutalize my corpse haulers.

AudiRgr8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52928 on: October 31, 2018, 07:45:27 pm »

AudiRgr8, i wouldn't be able to make such a neat and small fort work at all. it would crumble too soon from me not knowing how to keep the dorfs busy and producing anything useful for trading.

in some version it was possible to even see tunnels on the embark maps, so i often chose to create secured etrances to the tunnels - with varying success.
i just made a backup of my worlds on another HDD, just in case my linux acts up again.

Mate best thing you can do is get a kitchen up and running, prepared meals are literal gold and they're renewable. I've placed cave crocodiles on iron chains outside the front of my entrance and another inside the tunnel leading in but they're still only hatchlings so no match for the odd giant eagle corpse that flies by. Still, better than letting an ambush in.

AudiRgr8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52929 on: November 01, 2018, 12:21:58 am »

Just caught a kobold trying to break into my fortress in one of my cage traps, anyone have an idea on what I should do with him?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #52930 on: November 01, 2018, 02:13:30 am »

How? Kobolds are trapavoid. Did you stun via combat?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #52931 on: November 01, 2018, 10:47:51 am »

tried a volcano embark (using embark anywhere) and i just can't get a caravan to enter my fort - they always run away or die almost instantly upon entering the map. so i couldn't trade my goods for a steel anvil, couldn't buy anything to drink and couldn't find any water either to make a farm - so my dorfs all died from dehydration. i reclaimed and everything was scattered everywhere even things that couldn't possibly ever have come to my place - taken up completely by the hauling, the second embark also died by thirst while not getting to the caverns too. also still all caravan wagons just died instantly.
i gave up and crushed that world.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #52932 on: November 01, 2018, 01:57:49 pm »

How? Kobolds are trapavoid. Did you stun via combat?
You can web traps to get trapavoid and other immune creatures (but it gets your dwarves too).
In a time before time, I had a name.

AudiRgr8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52933 on: November 02, 2018, 03:19:49 am »

Yes I sent my militia to deal with him and he went unconscious on a cage trap. Thoughts on the captured thief?

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #52934 on: November 02, 2018, 09:55:45 am »

Yes I sent my militia to deal with him and he went unconscious on a cage trap. Thoughts on the captured thief?
chain him at one of the entrances as bait for big enemies.
Pages: 1 ... 3527 3528 [3529] 3530 3531 ... 3838