Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3280 3281 [3282] 3283 3284 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5965932 times)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #49215 on: January 07, 2017, 01:32:10 pm »

Well, I finally have a military that I can be semi-proud about.  I have squads of only three members each, who train two at a time (but for the Captain of the Guard squad which train one at a time).  I have carefully gone over their equipment, even making a large leather armor for one of the humans.  So when the first vampire was put into jail for killing a victim it only took two of my militia a few in-game minutes to kill it. 

In my old Fort 30 of them attacking a vampire would lose a couple of soldiers before victory.  This time - not a wound. 

On the other hand I seem to have no wind in my region - the windmills don't seem to work and neither does the waterwheel. Maybe I need something more powerful then a brook?

And the visiting scholars seem to be pervs....

:'(
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #49216 on: January 07, 2017, 02:08:58 pm »

Wow, that is better than some of my work. One time when I was still figuring things out, I got my first Forgotten Beast.

It was made of aluminum.

My military was armed with silver maces, obsidian swords, and bone bolts.

The thing killed over 30 dwarves. It was finally stopped by a herbalist who used to be a woodcutter and had a bronze axe. He also lost an eyelid to a were-mouse.
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49217 on: January 07, 2017, 03:17:16 pm »

Wow, that is better than some of my work. One time when I was still figuring things out, I got my first Forgotten Beast.

It was made of aluminum.

My military was armed with silver maces, obsidian swords, and bone bolts.

The thing killed over 30 dwarves. It was finally stopped by a herbalist who used to be a woodcutter and had a bronze axe. He also lost an eyelid to a were-mouse.

After some debate most people think it best to have small squads that train in twos. 

I am really proud about the Were-Lizard squad I created.  One member got infected and instead of just trapping him forever in a walled off room he is in a one man barracks, deep underground, which only has access to the outside world via a drawbridge.  So I am waiting for a Goblin siege to test out my Were-Lizard Squad.  When a normal Dwarf he just trains away all by himself.  I even gave him a bed.

Also my one Goblin soldier needs something his size.  May as well wait for enemy Goblins to come...donate stuff for his use.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49218 on: January 07, 2017, 05:22:49 pm »

I have upgraded my Dining Hall to a Tavern and added a Temple for my Dwarves to pray in (they need it)
It is interesting to catch up with the new features, but I'm already losing track of my Dwarves.
Migrants have boosted my number over 50, some previous inhabitants had unfortunate accidents, I don't even know if all basic jobs are still covered and I'm still wrestling with the job manager trying to figure out why i have 500 prepared food when the order condition was set to less than 15.

In short: yep, definitely Dwarf Fortress.

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Edible beserk! now available in masterwork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49219 on: January 07, 2017, 08:07:51 pm »

everyone was murdering eachother.
I am currently trying to comprehend what sick, mad, dwarven mind came up with the fortress name "Lancefondled", because it wasn't me.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49220 on: January 08, 2017, 05:50:00 am »

Roughcopper has hit rough times. A goblin siege took the life of a militia captain, who dodged an arrow into a murky pool and drowned without glory. While the remains of the siege were hauled away, a Cyclops came and killed the fort's Legendary Weaponsmith before militias got to him. I am now draining the pool to fish the unlucky captain out so her corpse doesn't explode any passing wagons.

At the same time, second and third cavern layers had to be closed due to two different duster FBs. They're now rampaging through the caverns, killing everything and bogging down the FPS with constant battle and miasma.

For some reason a random gorlak killed by one FB got reserved a burial place in the fortress catacombs. I wonder why?
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #49221 on: January 08, 2017, 06:21:16 am »

Hahaha. That's one of the DF moments. Lets see....

Staalo, human overseer. "Hm, a goblin siege and Cyclops attacked."

Visiting plump helmet man bard: "Is everyone okay?"

"Well, no. One drowned, another got torn apart. We're retriving the dwarf who drowned while fighting goblins."

"An unfortunate tale. Still, a noble warrior deserves a proper resting place, and you're aiming to give them one."

"No."

"A s...Wait, what. Hm, but then why...Because you fish and drink from there?"

"No."

"Because their ghost has risen and is causing problems?"

"No."

"Uh. Well. Because the body generates miasma, making it hard to see?"

"No. "

"All right, I don't know. Why then?"

"It explodes passing wagons."

"You mean ghost rips the wagons apart?"

"No."

"You mean the corpse has risen as undead and will rip them apart?"

"No."

"..."

"..."

"How does it explode passing wagons, overseer?"

"The sight of it is too much to bear."

"You mean the merchants come loaded with self-destruct devices?"

"No."

"You mean the dwarves who see the corpse are driven insane and rip apart the wagon?"

"No."

"How does it explode the wagons, then?"

"The wagon looks at it and explodes."

"The wagon looks at it?"

"Yes."

"And explodes?"

"Also yes."

"Are the dwarves fine?"

"What- of course they're fine, they see dwarves every day. Maybe a little sadder, but that's all."

"...Yet, the sight of a dead dwarf makes inanimate objects explode from the horror."

"Wagons are very partial to dwarves. Also, not really inanimate, they've got wheels. Look, we even made a little tombstone for the wagon!"

"The wagons are made from normal wood, right..."

"No - well, I guess it's kinda standard. But you can't call it normal wood, it's wagon wood after the wagon has exploded. Tradition, you see."

"...Am I going to be fine, visiting this place?"

"I don't see why you wouldn't be - I am, after all. Maybe just don't look at any corpses."

"No eyes, overseer."

"Oh! Then in that case, I'd imagine if anything their dietary habits are worse."

"...I'm very glad for not having eyes in this moment. Nonetheless, as I don't have any, would you please share those with me?"
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 06:24:27 am by Fleeting Frames »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49222 on: January 08, 2017, 08:31:36 am »

Mirding Teachdrinkers, Dingo Woman Pikeman vampire is visiting.

Ho hum.
I think this dingo women came before at a different date, but I lost her due to a crash. She wasn't a vampire though... hm. Might have to do a little murder.
One wheel short of a wagon

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49223 on: January 08, 2017, 09:34:43 am »

A goblin axeman just had both his arms cut off before someone bisected him.
One wheel short of a wagon

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49224 on: January 08, 2017, 09:53:58 am »

*snip*

Haha, yes, exactly like that. Earlier I had to fell several trees to get rid of all those goblin teeth from decade-old sieges. Those were a regular minefield for caravans.

Uhhh... welcome?

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #49225 on: January 08, 2017, 11:40:42 am »

*snip*

Haha, yes, exactly like that. Earlier I had to fell several trees to get rid of all those goblin teeth from decade-old sieges. Those were a regular minefield for caravans.

Didn't know wagons had tires. Also didn't know that tires were literally explosive.

In my fort, I just traded with a human caravan for everything they owned. I used a few food barrels for this.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49226 on: January 08, 2017, 04:50:08 pm »

"We must be very near to the dwarven fortress now; I saw trails of vomit leading to that direction. Ica! Take point and yell if you see any corpses! I don't want to take nay chances this time."

"You're worrying too much, Furo! There's nothing here except pools of puke everywhere. Eww, I stepped into one."

"If you weren't so new you would be worried as well. There is always something strange around these dwarven - wait, what's that?"

"What? I don't see anything!"

"Up there, in the tree! Something wh-"

*kaboom*

"CURSE YOU DWARVES AND YOUR SORCEROUS WAYS!"

So yes, looks like I still forgot a single goblin leg dangling from a tree limb like a grisly mistletoe. Result: yet another wagon explosion, followed by a bout of furious looting. Those Human traders must really hate Roughcopper by now...

In other news, cage traps caught a female Cave Dragon so I now have a mating pair of them. In a century or two my dragon farm should be looking very good indeed.

Uhhh... welcome?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49227 on: January 08, 2017, 06:03:44 pm »

Where is the most dangerous place to work in the DF world?

The Tire Junkyard, drop anything via being startled or distracted and it could trigger a chain reaction and wipe out everything for miles around.

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Edible beserk! now available in masterwork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49228 on: January 08, 2017, 06:43:15 pm »

So apparently everyone in my fort is having halucinations, panicking, then killing something or getting knocked out. As SOON as they eat a prepared meal, because probably the water was "Apparently bad even though it's clean river fed water although there might be a corpse in the river." ... I made a well for them.

A lot of our pets and livestock died during that beserkspiral.

Minimal civilian casualties though.
I am currently trying to comprehend what sick, mad, dwarven mind came up with the fortress name "Lancefondled", because it wasn't me.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49229 on: January 08, 2017, 08:02:12 pm »

A were-camel bit three dwarfs. They were put in special "hospital" with some food and booze. When the moon came around again, one apparently was slow changing form and the other two killed him. Then they destroyed their own beds so I left them in the miasma for a couple seasons.
And now there is one... Having a confined were-family appears to not be possible. Has anyone done that successfully without putting them in separate "prisons"?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.
Pages: 1 ... 3280 3281 [3282] 3283 3284 ... 3838