Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3172 3173 [3174] 3175 3176 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6127659 times)

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47595 on: June 09, 2016, 10:26:17 pm »

The Werecamel [blarg] has come!

Oh, really? You're only the fourth Werecamel to show up attacking my fortress since founding. I've now had 4 Werecamels and one Giantess. When am I getting my goblin siege?

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47596 on: June 10, 2016, 04:59:17 am »

Autumn year two and I just lost two dwarves to a flock of Giant Buzzards... No one all that important, but probably should have made a more complete ceiling before halting work on the green glass tower above the main fort while I access some magma.

They probably wouldn't have been an issue but I've been somewhat slacking when it comes to setting up a crossbow squad, or even just some hunters. Now I'm telling my Hammer dwarves to grab crossbows and hoping I can quicking make some bolts before the seriously stressed out one loses it.

phoenixuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47597 on: June 10, 2016, 05:01:44 am »

I am under a semi-permanent siege from 4 Goblin Crossbowmen who spawned up a tree... time to see who are the lucky ones in my crossbow squad :D

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #47598 on: June 10, 2016, 05:33:17 am »

If they're stuck there, you could instead use ballista or minecarts, given both outrange the 20 tiles handheld archery has.

Alternatively, cave the whole thing in from below :p

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47599 on: June 10, 2016, 07:34:09 am »

Speaking of artifacts, one hobo, bearded individual, a random hauler made me this:

Pretty cool, it contains the picture of my fortress' founding. Human bone is just a bonus. ^^
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #47600 on: June 10, 2016, 08:47:10 am »

I started a new fort, Stonecastle, a randomly generated name, though I did use complex embark. Then I got the Axe of Slaughters as my group name, so I chose a dwarf raising a battle axe as my symbol.

I did my standard fort start and upon embark, dug straight down under the wagon. Bad news - the only metal I have is gold. It isn't even silver, which I can turn into bolts. I have to rely on caravans and goblins for all my metal.

I've finally gotten my military metal weapons, even if they are shitty metal and quality. Like usual, I stuck whoever showed up with military skill in the military. I ended up with six axedwarves, three hammerdwarves, and a speardwarf. Fitting.

Right now I'm working on setting up a Great Hall, since I have so much gold and my second mood netted me a legendary blacksmith. I'm also in the process of setting up some diorite block walls, so Stonecastle can live up to its name.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47601 on: June 10, 2016, 10:13:00 am »

My current fort was built out of clay, except those noble rooms which was made of metal bars or other blocks.

g2knee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47602 on: June 10, 2016, 02:28:48 pm »

Embarked on a volcano -- rare for me.  Lots of loam and sand, so I dug down 50 z-levels for a proper stone dwelling.

All underground fort so far -- tapped the volcano for forges and a magma chasm with drawn-bridge.

TONS of hematite ore, but no flux. :(

No trees above ground either.  We'll have to go to the caverns soon to build beds.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47603 on: June 10, 2016, 04:35:38 pm »

Stonecastle survived its first goblin siege! We'll be eating beak dog for months. There was only one casualty - Kivish the speardwarf. One axedwarf was also wounded. I fear I may have to remove her from the military - her stats are abysmal, she couldn't even cut through a troll's clothing.

Somehow a metalcrafter got trapped in the second cavern. She fought off crundles, had a miscarriage when she became dehydrated, and abandoned her baby. Right now she's having her wounds treated while the military kills all the crundles. Fuck crundles.

IDLERS: 0

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #47604 on: June 10, 2016, 05:05:43 pm »

The elven civilization sent two-score soldiers to attack Torchbolted; only 4 of them were elves.  My militia commander took a dive into the moat and broke her hand, then fought a creature roughly ten times her size, with toxic blood and no sense of pain, unarmed.  She beat it to death with her wooden shield.  Meanwhile two of my champions slaughtered some 30 or so invaders with no help.  A few of my lesser fighters cleaned up the handful that slipped through the gate by rushing forward faster than my champions could kill them.

With this 'ambush' resolved, construction of the watchpost above the gate can resume.  Like the wall, it's constructed of chalk blocks - not my favorite building material, but I've got plenty of it.  Unfortunately the chalk layer contains neither ore nor coal.  My last fort was packed with both, but thoroughly overrun with bards and poets.  This time, no visitors are allowed in the tavern.  Various invaders have been quite helpful in compensating for the lack of metals, although of course the elves are useless.  The recently added enemy entity that I'm hoping to test in this world hasn't shown up yet, despite having a high population and easy access to the site.  I'm hoping they'll turn up soon.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47605 on: June 11, 2016, 06:17:41 am »

I got a weird goblin siege which turned out to be just an ambush.
Two goblins thieves sneaked into the main hall and was scared away by flying crossbow bolts. One of them was turned into a husk before leaving the map. Two goblins corssbowmen just stood by the edge of the map watching.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #47606 on: June 11, 2016, 07:29:50 am »

Two goblins corssbowmen just stood by the edge of the map watching.
Probably enjoying their beers, laughing hysterically. Hazing ritual.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47607 on: June 11, 2016, 03:33:22 pm »

Stonecastle is doing pretty well. We're under siege by goblins. I had a premonition that things would go very poorly if I met the enemy head-on, so instead I shut the gates on them. Now they're wandering around outside, and every time they come within sight of the walls, my marksdwarves plink at them. I don't have any metal, so I'm going through my enormous supply of bone bolts.

On a related note, the best way to train doctors is to have an enemy with bone bolts plink at someone. We've only killed two goblins and a beak dog, but the wounded now outnumber the fit. At least my marksdwarves are getting good practice.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47608 on: June 11, 2016, 03:37:07 pm »

Craftsfalls is just beginning. The plan is to create a visually impressive pillared walkway-entrance to the fort that ends in a bridge next to a waterfall.

4 dwarves have been eaten by alligators.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #47609 on: June 11, 2016, 04:36:25 pm »

Activated my pointlessly oversized generator.  It consists of a double-layer aqueduct, which pulls water out of the brook shortly before the point where it leaves my walls.  Pumps move the water up two levels and send it back most of the way across the walled courtyard, where another set of pumps move it up two more levels and send it back to fall into the brook just past the starting point.  The lower level has 14 slots to hold 4 waterwheels each; right now only two are active, to power the pump stacks at each end.  The upper level can probably support a similar array.  I don't actually need the power for anything yet, but the aqueduct also feeds my well, and the reservoir near the magma layer that should give me access to a lot more adamantine.  I wanted to test everything and make sure the system didn't have any major leaks or feed problems.  Seems to work perfectly.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.
Pages: 1 ... 3172 3173 [3174] 3175 3176 ... 3842