Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3151 3152 [3153] 3154 3155 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129236 times)

Kogan Onulsodel

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Physicist
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47280 on: April 27, 2016, 09:04:51 am »

So, I've got an old fort (v0.34) that I keep going back to, playing for awhile, and then playing a more current version. It's decades old, home to multiple megaprojects, and the general scheme has been to just have fun seeing how overpowered I could make my dorfs. Naturally, I used trade to get infinite adamantine, and I've got 10 squads fully equipped with ☼candy armor and weapons☼ (one squad of each of the normal melee dwarves--axe, sword, spear, hammer, mace--5 more of marksdwarves... I've got an additional squad of axes just because axes are the dwarfiest, in my opinion, but they aren't fully equipped... also, maces, hammers, and crossbows aren't candy). I've got more than 50 furnace operators from devoting a couple dozen magma smelters to melting down coins for years, several legendary armorsmiths, and while I had a few Axe Lords, I've finally embraced danger rooms, just so I can get that satisfying feeling of completion, even though the FPS death is upon me (well, FPS has been pretty low for awhile). There have just been too many projects and experiments in this fort, and it's too big (about 350). There's a giant cheetah-splosion from a breeding pair I bought from the elves several years back, and the only reason I even keep a trade depot any more is to just get rid of stuff. So it's about time to end the fort. But I just... need... to... get... them... trained... (legendary)

Then I'll invade HFS.

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47281 on: April 27, 2016, 09:13:43 am »

The trouble of playing DF on a cheap computer: FPS death in every moderately succesful fort.

With the visitor update I wasn't able to play after breaching the first cavern. I play on a 2007 Mac Mini and I hate every moment of it. It's analogous to the rusty needle you would use when shooting up heroin (Dwarf Fortress): it gets the job done, but it'll kill you sooner rather than later.

I haven't played the visitor update yet. And to think, if this fort had lasted longer, I might have been able to see how the elves reacted to my dwarves murdering the caravans. Unfortunately, I had no clue what to do with the useless wooden sticks those hippies call weapons.
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment
And so, in a thread about cointainers with usele

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47282 on: April 27, 2016, 10:40:02 am »

Due to the fact that my old Mayor is sick in the hospital (and when I say sick I mean he is a werekangaroo and when I say in the hospital I mean walled up in it) I have a new Mayor and Broker.  A Goblin Poet.  He was the top of the list of replacements.  Elves in the mines, Goblins treating the wounded, Humans in my militia, and now this.  Tongsburns is a weird place to live in.  But we have toys.   :D
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #47283 on: April 27, 2016, 01:34:06 pm »

I had a were dingo attack a caravan in the middle of my beefields.
Grass proceeds to catch fire and burn my embark.
ok sure :-\
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47284 on: April 27, 2016, 05:45:44 pm »

snip

You should swap the elves to making the toys. Then call your highest noble Santa and spread Christmas cheer to everyone!
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47285 on: April 27, 2016, 09:42:14 pm »

snip

You should swap the elves to making the toys. Then call your highest noble Santa and spread Christmas cheer to everyone!

Bonus points if you make the hippies work purely with wood, forcing them to cut the dead wood of the hundreds of trees your woodcutting corps mowed down to pave the embark with metal block roads....You know what, that sounds like an awesome thing I should try to do!
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment
And so, in a thread about cointainers with usele

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47286 on: April 27, 2016, 11:18:22 pm »

After uncovering a source of hematite and rapidly producing sets of armour, the dwarves of The Radiant Hall of Business are now frantically stamping every piece of it with their crest, which is taking quite a long time, truth be told.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47287 on: April 28, 2016, 01:38:30 am »

A dwarven child has been playing make-believe in the in the corpse and refuse pile for over a month. I'm a little worried about this kid.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 03:21:15 am by ManaUser »
Akur Akir Akam!

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47288 on: April 28, 2016, 01:40:01 am »

A dwarven child has been playing make-believe in the in the corpse and refuse pile for for over a month. I'm a little worried about this kid.

Related: A bunch of kids have been playing make believe and with toys in the stockpiles full of clothes. Are they jumping around in there like they're in piles of fresh laundry?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #47289 on: April 28, 2016, 10:53:08 am »

Piety is great in my fortress - the toddlers play with toy boats in the temples! Bet they're re-enacting Noah's ark.

Edit: I mean Kogan's minecart. Obviously.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 10:54:48 am by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47290 on: April 28, 2016, 11:22:18 am »

After our second goblin siege, in which we unfortunately lost one brave recruit who proved herself a macedwarf that day by slaying two of the almost twenty goblins that had her surrounded (rest in peace, Sibruk Limullogen) due to being caught by their massed horde while on patrol, we mined out the interior of the brook and created a tavern/skating rink during the winter! Now our dwarves and visitors can enjoy the chill of winter all year long with iced rye beer in the ice walled and ice floored building with a clear glass block roof.

The truly sad part about the dwarf's death was that it's possible it could have been prevented. I miscalculated the amount of armour I had produced and sent her and most of her squad out there with only a helm, shield, mace, and breastplate. She was missing gauntlets, greaves, her mail shirt, and high boots.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 11:58:59 am by Urist McShire »

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #47291 on: April 28, 2016, 11:59:38 am »

the reclaiming went fine as i wasn't ready to send all my dwarves down to kill the troll, i wanted to close the cavern by placing a floor above the ramp. unfortunately the game still crashes often when building. bCf and bCw have killed my fort often before any of my dwarves had seen an enemy.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47292 on: April 28, 2016, 02:07:49 pm »

Graspinghammer has been plagued by attacks from one particular Wererhinoceros curse lineage. Emung Dresspoke the Tail-brightness of Clouds was the seventh member of that particular lineage to test the fort's defences, only to have her rampage cut short by an adamantine axe blade. Only few more and the whole curse will be eradicated from this world.

In other news, Mûthkat Blamelesscopper just had his mood and crafted a ring with an image of the current (female) outpost liaison Åblel Roomportals on it. I just had invited the king over and if I understood correctly she'll be arriving with his entourage very soon. Mûthkat and Åblel are both heterosexual and about the same age. Are you... planning something, Mûthkat?
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47293 on: April 28, 2016, 03:10:37 pm »

The fortress of Ironbolts has so far proved to be a safe refuge indeed. Only 3 deaths throughout these first 3 years. Some planter fell into a pool of water and drowned. He was definitely drunk Dorfy. The other 2 were actually members of my starting seven. During one winter, I was trying to channel out a nice reservoir so that I could start filling it when the spring came and finally set up my hospital and I messed up my designations. As a result, both miners injured themselves and were dragged off to the unfinished hospital where they could receive no treatment due to all of the water on the map being frozen and eventually died of dehydration (they also had infections, though, so I doubt they could have been saved. They received a proper burial, at least.

I'm waiting for either elves or goblins to attack. I've done my best to instigate a dwarf-elf war, but so far all they've done is avoid sending a caravan this Spring. It makes sense though, as I did seize all goods and kill all but one elf per caravan with the last 2. I'm trading a lot with humans and I have 3 visiting right now. Last year the dwarf caravan mysteriously turned around without a sign of danger, so hopefully that won't happen this time. Unfortunately, I have to (ironically) import iron. My bronze supplies have been sufficient for my military so far, at least.

This is actually my first time really messing around with locations since I haven't played fortress mode for ages. Right now, I have a general temple that doubles as a statue garden and a tavern that doubles as our dining room. It's really refreshing watching dwarves actually go and do things rather than just idling if they don't have a job to do.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #47294 on: April 28, 2016, 04:00:14 pm »

Mûthkat and Åblel are both heterosexual and about the same age. Are you... planning something, Mûthkat?
it's most likely... however i like the way it is uited to fit medieval marriage :)
it ads some kind of realism to the game.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)
Pages: 1 ... 3151 3152 [3153] 3154 3155 ... 3842