Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2979 2980 [2981] 2982 2983 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6091429 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #44700 on: December 20, 2015, 04:12:46 am »

You should probably have them build a barracks down there, so's they can train themselves more better-er and faster and stuff. Because weresoldiers shouldn't be a last resort so much as an A-team. Because they don't stay crippled.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44701 on: December 20, 2015, 05:20:32 am »

I had a terrible shock when Kung the Echo of Bone, a gigantic winged, web-spewing, blood-sucking hairy leech was found just sitting behind a door in one of Copperfell's abandoned mining shafts. I thought I had the place on full lockdown but looks like there was one piece of sloppy designating which had made a hole for a flying beast to get in from the second cavern level.

Kung had proven too tough to approach with melee squads so I had to resort to unsporting methods. A quick fortification was carved and all crossbow squads started firing at the beast through it. Few dozen quarrels later and sadly without heroics worth mentioning, the monster bled out and was hauled to the butcher's shop. Goden Gildfind got the dubious honor of taking the killing shot.

Without Kung stopping to admire a tastefully arranged -obsidian door- (which wasn't even locked) this incident could have been a massacre. Expert mason teams are now making rounds to seal every possible accidental entrance.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44702 on: December 20, 2015, 06:48:29 am »

well there i was when the forgotten beast that was a giant tick showed up! luckily it decided to kill that mob of amphibious men in my caverns before moving on... after about 5 pages of encountering 2 of my best warriors my militia commander stabbed it in the heart from underneath. upon leaving the body to rot i saw a amphibious woman apparently knocked out by a flying body, in a pool of her/her people's blood. so i sent my hammer-dwarf to finish her off naturaly...

returning from my battle i encountered 2 blind cave ogres who mercilessly murdered 2 of my best warriors before being brought down by my ax dwarf who had a child on her back.

Great, now I need to go and watch a few episodes of the Tick.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44703 on: December 20, 2015, 10:34:54 am »

Been doing more necromancer testing with dodge-me traps.. found this interesting tidbit in my combat log:

The dwarf necromancer loses hold of The Meaning of Hatredfinder

looking at the book closely, " It concerns the authoring of The Tower: The Definitive Guide by the dwarf necromancer Aslot Spiderymined in Hatredfinder in the late spring of 4903.  The writing is forceful.  Overall, the prose is masterful. "

So this guy wrote a book about a book about how to become a necromancer (or create towers, whichever you prefer) and then got all his animated buddies to join him in walking on over to my fort to visit.  Didn't turn out so well for  him, he being vaporized and his book now sitting at the bottom of the magma pool.  Ah well.  :P 8)

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44704 on: December 20, 2015, 01:23:15 pm »

My dwarves are getting tough from fighting in the bar, especially my tavern keepers. I hate it when they get it in a fight now, unless, like one just did, it's with a visiting goblin swordsman. It was rough and went on for 6 pages, but in the end the gobbo ended up in really rough shape and lost the use of his right arm. It would have been quicker if he wasn't wearing an iron helmet and copper breastplate. In the end my tavern keeper resorted to throwing him by his head till he quit moving. That might have been the moment I really fell in love with the new taverns. The gobbo didn't hit the road though. He's currently back in the bar telling stories. I do hope it's about how my she-dwarf mopped the tavern floor with his sorry green a... errhm arm-hair.

Oh, and barkeep had some good bruises, but went right back to serving patrons. Love it.

Wolpertinger

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44705 on: December 20, 2015, 02:05:55 pm »

Thanks to my new embark the history of the world has a new entry for the dwarven nation of Glazed Towns

53 The Heavenly Fiends founded Shootanuses in 188

kennethshearer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44706 on: December 20, 2015, 02:36:18 pm »

I've been playing DF off and on for many years at this point and after losing my first "real" fort to three cave-dragons my main goal was to reach a point that I could survive a dragon attack.

It finally happened. I was in the midst of building an isolated defense tower only accessible from inside the fort when a full sized dragon arrived. It found my back entrance and was making its way through the tunnel system leading to my main fort. Luckily I had a few marble doors in the tunnels already and had enough time to organize my doods. I planted my squad of bad-ass melee fighters on the other side of the doors and had my 9 other squads of crossbow-doofs behind them. The doors broke, the melee doops all pounced, and instantly were torched. Volleys of bolts begin launching, all stopped by dragon fire. My secondary squads have reached the rear entrance at this point with the hopes of surrounding the beast. They burn. Those holding the front burn. 60ish of my 120 fall to this beast before I decide to channel out my sewer systems and flood the tunnel out of desperation. The fire is squelched, teh dwurps seize the opportunity and rush back into the tunnel and begin peppering the dragon with vengeful bolts. The dragon faints from blood loss and daffodil I had assigned my tavern performer rushed forth and finished the job with a cheap copper short sword. Success! The beast is DEAD!

My fort is flooding now, but that I can deal with.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 03:49:34 pm by kennethshearer »

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44707 on: December 20, 2015, 03:33:29 pm »

I just spent at least an hour making a 1x36 tile long hallway into the caverns lined with upright spears/spikes and capped at either end with drawbridges. So thats around 60 mechanisms and weapons. This was my trap to kill a web spitting FB. Finally get it done, pierce the cavern and get my dwarf out of there. Of course my dwarves are all drunk and dont close the bridges in time. The FB gets through and immediately kills 3 dwarves before an errant passerby pulps the FBs torso with one hit with his masterwork steel goblet. 

Dust Bunnies

• Bay Watcher
  • help
    • View Profile
« Reply #44708 on: December 20, 2015, 05:18:46 pm »

Nothing.

Because everyone's dead ):

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #44709 on: December 20, 2015, 05:27:31 pm »

After the Great Turtle-ing, I assigned a couple useless dwarfs to be doctors. Got to watch step by step as one of the dwarfs worked on the dwarf that got his hand bitten off by the turtle forgotten beast. Apparently the poison causes rotting, I guess, and made his lower arm rotten. Fortunately the doctor was able to remove the rotted tissue and patch it up, despite absolutely no skill as a surgeon. The patient got an infection however.

But an infection is not as bad as some other dwarves that got their heads stomped by a Blind Cave Ogre while I wasn't looking. The caverns are just full of things that want to kill dwarves. The refuse stockpile is currently filled with dwarf corpses. Went from 60 or so dwarves to 48 or so in a month of game time.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #44710 on: December 20, 2015, 05:29:02 pm »

Which is why I always set up a ring of cage traps (not too thick, though, that wouldn't be fun; just one tile) and create some "towers" for patrolling marksdwarves to protect the herbalists, woodcutters, and fisherdwarves in my little reclaimed section of the caverns.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44711 on: December 20, 2015, 05:33:23 pm »

Just discovered that you get a warning every time a statue is toppled. And since my outer courtyard is filled with them I got advance warning that a weregopher was incoming. For some reason my guard dogs were on vacation. Those statues just saved me I lot of trouble since the military didn't have far to scramble and pick him up. Statues a handy fail-safe.

...and my first serious attempt at obsidian casting begins, inside a volcano.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 05:37:47 pm by Bakaridjan »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44712 on: December 20, 2015, 06:05:33 pm »

Got "A FORCE OF DARKNESS HAS ARRIVED in early spring year 2. It consists of 3 goblins. They entered the map as 1 goblin bowman, and 2 recruits. The moment they entered the map they fired a single shot at a baby carp. This turned the 2 recruits into goblin crossbowmen.

Now I don't have any military yet, save for two visiting hammerdwarves hanging out in 'the Meatshield Inn', located conveniently right next to the goblin entrance hallway. I'm not sure I can rely on those two though. One looks drunk, the other is deep down my fort praying.

Good thing those goblins are bugged. They keep standing at map edge where they entered doing nothing. Arming and training me some marksdwarves now at leisure while watching the goblings take a potshot at passing carp every once in a while, in between being frozen in place and doing nothing at all.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44713 on: December 20, 2015, 06:47:06 pm »

My necromancer/undead siege killed and turned an echidna into a undead echidna.  Now, for some reason, the siege is over, and 20 Undead corpses, plus 4 goblin regulars are all trying to beat the echidna skeleton corpse to death. 
My FPS has gone from 300+ down to under 50, all because none of them can hit the undead 'hair'.  :-\

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44714 on: December 20, 2015, 07:40:06 pm »

Settled on a cave in a swamp. Expected my two macedwarves to be greeted by a small group of trogs, maybe some kind of large critter.

Instead I once again get a group of goblin bandits/soldiers.

Id and Iden arm themselves with thier pre-fab equipment - Bronze mail and wolf leather armor (I like to imagine they're wearing reinforced wolf pelts and heads for armor.) - and march to face the enemy; preferably by picking them off one by one. If they are slain, then the rest of the embark crew's gonna have to figure something else out, or hope to the gods that a sufficently hungry beast shows up and munches on some goblins.
Pages: 1 ... 2979 2980 [2981] 2982 2983 ... 3842