Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2960 2961 [2962] 2963 2964 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6092870 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #44415 on: December 10, 2015, 06:03:22 pm »

I just pissed off the first elf caravan that came my way. I had apparently selected some charcoal when I was trading, and by the time I had noticed my error, it was far too late for reparations to be made. :(

I just hope that the elves aren't too angry at me... They could be trouble, considering my overall lack of defenses. Things seem calm enough for now though, so yeah.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44416 on: December 10, 2015, 06:03:44 pm »

Btw, how do you handle mercs guys? Do you have a separate squads for them or put them into mix with your own trainees?

They can't lead squads themselves last time I tried, but other than the sergeant it can be either. Necessity had me chuck my human crossbowman in a melee squad once and she did fine.

New fort, with all new annoyances: besides whole flocks of keas it's raining vile filth all over the map that's supposed to be calm tropical forest biome. Nearest evil biome is at least few embark squares away. What's going on?

Might've embarked in the wrong place. Least that's what it sounds like. Otherwise we may have ourselves a bug on our hands.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #44417 on: December 10, 2015, 06:13:09 pm »

Are you less than three embark squares away from any form of evil embark? (An embark square is IIRC the smallest distance you can move your embark region. Correct me if I'm wrong. That's the way I'm meaning it anyway._
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44418 on: December 10, 2015, 06:15:44 pm »

I just pissed off the first elf caravan that came my way. I had apparently selected some charcoal when I was trading, and by the time I had noticed my error, it was far too late for reparations to be made. :(

I just hope that the elves aren't too angry at me... They could be trouble, considering my overall lack of defenses. Things seem calm enough for now though, so yeah.
I gave all of my elven caravans all the most precious crafts I ever had, made mostly from bronze and copper, due to severe lack of iron.
Anyways, they stopped trading with me after year 5. May be I shouln't let the happy traders leave the map, ever. May be they've pissed the Elven king by telling him the stories of how polite & great my best soldi, ahem, traders were when handling the goods into them.

Did I also tell you that those elves were very generous while handling to my trader-squad the most precious knowledge of all times? If it wasn't for them, may be my nowadays legendary Axedwarf would've been dead already.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 06:18:21 pm by nekoexmachina »
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44419 on: December 10, 2015, 06:17:00 pm »

Question: What is the ideal number of dwarves to have in one squad, with the same weapon?
I vaguely remember something about 2 or 3-dwarf squads being most likely to spar.
it was two in 0.34, but that bug was fixed in 0.40 so you can have as many sparring soldiers as you want now. (Of course, 0.42.02 seems to have some other bugs related to sparring...)
Thanks! I'll see how I go.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44420 on: December 10, 2015, 06:29:13 pm »

So I built my giant fortress library, spent forever escaping a the fortress I started in, spent an additional forever gathering books from a tower in adventure mode, took them across the large map to the library fortress, discovered none of them were necromantic, spent forever digging through legends for the only two necromantic books ever created, spent forever walking to the tower and manually crossing the twelve billion rivers that criss-cross across the map, got the books, got an unexplained crash right before I got to the library, did it again and this time saved liberally, then got back to the library and was greeted by a nemesis error.

I quit. No library. 

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #44421 on: December 10, 2015, 06:32:16 pm »

What I've found useful is traveling along the spine of the continent, where rivers change direction. If there aren't any mountains there you can travel for days in a straight line and only stop for food and water.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #44422 on: December 10, 2015, 06:44:46 pm »

Btw, how do you handle mercs guys? Do you have a separate squads for them or put them into mix with your own trainees?

They can't lead squads themselves last time I tried, but other than the sergeant it can be either. Necessity had me chuck my human crossbowman in a melee squad once and she did fine.

New fort, with all new annoyances: besides whole flocks of keas it's raining vile filth all over the map that's supposed to be calm tropical forest biome. Nearest evil biome is at least few embark squares away. What's going on?

Might've embarked in the wrong place. Least that's what it sounds like. Otherwise we may have ourselves a bug on our hands.

Having seen what weather systems look like in adventure mode, this might actually be a feature. Weather from evil biomes could get blown out of the area.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #44423 on: December 10, 2015, 07:07:18 pm »

I gave all of my elven caravans all the most precious crafts I ever had, made mostly from bronze and copper, due to severe lack of iron.
Anyways, they stopped trading with me after year 5. May be I shouln't let the happy traders leave the map, ever. May be they've pissed the Elven king by telling him the stories of how polite & great my best soldi, ahem, traders were when handling the goods into them.

Did I also tell you that those elves were very generous while handling to my trader-squad the most precious knowledge of all times? If it wasn't for them, may be my nowadays legendary Axedwarf would've been dead already.

I might consider a similar approach, once I expand my military and build actual defenses. My military currently consists of a single dwarf with an axe.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44424 on: December 10, 2015, 07:16:47 pm »

Just discovered the lead toy axes the children play with weigh 11 urists. The iron battle axes the militia train with weigh 6 urists. These kids should be a little bit badass by the time they're done playing.

zeves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44425 on: December 10, 2015, 08:15:17 pm »

So playing with the new df2015, i started up and had a very peacfull first year, almost to peacfull and then.
A dragon Attacked, shitting my pants i scourged up my one crossbow squad of dwarves with LEATHER armor and WOOD crossbows and hoped the elven traders would atleast be a mild distraction,
before i can get my squad up the dragon casually walks into a cage trap and i have now an immense consentration of FUN i can release.

Not actually had to deal with dragons since 2012 and looking at the wiki alot have changed. but im sure i wont accidentally destroy my entire fortress.

If that dragon had breathed even once my whole fort would have been in flames.

Im debating now if i should try things myself or get advice.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 08:37:30 pm by zeves »

Lordhermitcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44426 on: December 10, 2015, 08:30:29 pm »

Currently in a completely frozen biome made of stone. Shale galore, with profuse magnetite, haematite, and limonite veins with bituminous coal peppered about. I'm currently experimenting with 2-level constructions for the main halls, with pillars that go up two levels.

I've gotten many visitors to my little tavern, and a few have petitioned for citizenship. Currently considering capturing visitors for tests and arenas.

Food and water are severe problems. Just an hour ago the entire fort was brown arrows but conveniently the just-arrived caravan was willing to give us much meat for worthless shale crafts. I made a temporary farm for brewables, and we have a somewhat constant stream of excess drinks.

Don't really have a workshop level yet, or dining hall, or statuary, or anything really reasonable yet.

One thing I've noticed though, is twice a dwarven baby has appeared by itself amidst a wave of migrants. The baby as such isn't cared for by anyone, and wanders outside in the snow and cold until it dies of starvation or dehydration.
THE CONCRETE IS ON FIRE

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #44427 on: December 10, 2015, 08:41:41 pm »

A metalsmith has just arrived! She's competent in all metalsmithing professions and she worships the god of metals. One problem. She likes elves for their grace.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44428 on: December 10, 2015, 08:46:44 pm »

A metalsmith has just arrived! She's competent in all metalsmithing professions and she worships the god of metals. One problem. She likes elves for their grace.

The conundrum is obvious: Make her a soldier who kills what she loves, or keep her as a smith...

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #44429 on: December 10, 2015, 08:48:34 pm »

Doom her to woodcrafting.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.
Pages: 1 ... 2960 2961 [2962] 2963 2964 ... 3842