Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2949 2950 [2951] 2952 2953 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972916 times)

Zylot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #44250 on: December 06, 2015, 03:48:13 pm »

Despite having some perfectly good instruments built, all performances us "simulated" versions of that instrument. Is there something you need to do to get dwarves to use your instruments. (the ones needing to be built are built, the ones that just exist are chilling in a chest in the inn/tavern..)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44251 on: December 06, 2015, 04:12:37 pm »

Despite having some perfectly good instruments built, all performances us "simulated" versions of that instrument. Is there something you need to do to get dwarves to use your instruments. (the ones needing to be built are built, the ones that just exist are chilling in a chest in the inn/tavern..)
Have you checked for an instrument-based labor that needs to be designated or anything?
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44252 on: December 06, 2015, 04:16:36 pm »

It might be they simply haven't needed them for their performances.

One of my militadwarves seems to be the scholarly and poetic sort, as since she lacks an axe (it hadn't been ready when the militia mustered to make war upon the cavern's troglodytic residents,) as she has two books in addition to her iron buckler, which she has been using as weapons: "Unknown Towngravel," an amatuer guide of 116 pages to the dwarven halls of Towngravel and is bound in jet, and "The Hamlet: A Brief Introduction," a passable 98 page guide which concerns a human hamlet called Musicbath.

The Hamlet has been used to bludgeon a giant toad to death, so perhaps an addendum needs to be added that concerns how to use a porcelain-bound codex to beat large animals to death.

Now however a real foe appears, a cave crocodile.

May the god of war and victory watch over the militia.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #44253 on: December 06, 2015, 04:31:32 pm »

On The Solution, a pig tail quire:

Written on the item is a manual entitled On The Solution, authored by Shorast Netchants. It concerns methods for solving certain equations involving powers higher than the quadratic. Overall, the prose is not awful, but not very good either.

Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Zylot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44254 on: December 06, 2015, 04:42:04 pm »

My issue is that they were "simulating" the very instrument for a performance that was sitting two spaces away. Not sure why.

No matter, because there's been a shift from music to writing in this fortress, with some real gems..

"Written on the item is a manual reproduction: before and after, authored by Alnos Fairfresh. It concerns the reproductive behavior of creatures. The writing occasionally changes topic and it has a hint of viciousness to it."

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #44255 on: December 06, 2015, 04:50:43 pm »

:o  Hahahaha! "And they REPRODUCE, which MUST be done, or else they DIE!! So REPRODUCE YOU DWARVES!"

Speaking of reproducing, I've got a lot of babies in my fortress. Soon they will ask for many toys, but I've got a legendary woodcrafter. So there, swarms of crying, begging children. Have fun being scribes when you grow up!
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

BesorgterZwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44256 on: December 06, 2015, 05:06:47 pm »

Dont you have to (b)uild the instrument?

Zylot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44257 on: December 06, 2015, 05:14:54 pm »

Dont you have to (b)uild the instrument?

They are (b)ulit, of that I can assure you.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 05:21:29 pm by Zylot »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #44258 on: December 06, 2015, 05:21:30 pm »

What are ulit? Don't you know the names are randomly generated? My ulit can be a handheld stringed instrument, his a giant drum.

Wait... Oh, welcome to the forums! When you type [ b ], but without the spaces, it makes stuff bolded. Say (b)uilt, not [ b ]uilt. (Again, I cannot show what you did; it would look like this: uilt.)
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #44259 on: December 06, 2015, 05:28:43 pm »

Start Your Day With The Point, a pig tail scroll. It is made from pig tail cloth. The rollers are made from claystone. The rollers are made from exceptionally worked oak. Written on the item is a manual entitled Start Your Day With the Point, authored by Domas Pagedshank. It concerns geometric objects: points, lines, circles, triangles, and so on. The writing is completely serious and it artfully indulges the author's fancies. Overall, the prose is passable.

An Offering To Glue, a finely-crafted oaken-bound codex. The written portion consists of a one-pag manual entitled An Offering to Glue, authored by Ubbul Glazefeet. It concerns the preparation and use of adhesive materials. The writing occasionally changes topic abruptly. Overall, the prose is not awful, but not very good either.

Thanks for helping us figure out how to use glue to bind books, Ubbul!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 05:37:27 pm by jwoodward48df »
Sigtext!

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #44260 on: December 06, 2015, 05:33:31 pm »

I want to try this out so bad now that the worst crash bugs seem to be fixed, but Modest Mod has spoiled me for vanilla DF. Since the changes are all labeled anyway, I might have to transfer them over to the new version myself...

My goal for the next fort: tame GCSes. I think that speaks for itself. Also, mod in bone blocks again so I can make a castle out of the bones of my enemies.

* or at least my livestock.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 05:37:43 pm by InsanityPrelude »
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Zylot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44261 on: December 06, 2015, 05:48:48 pm »

What are ulit? Don't you know the names are randomly generated? My ulit can be a handheld stringed instrument, his a giant drum.

Wait... Oh, welcome to the forums! When you type [ b ], but without the spaces, it makes stuff bolded. Say (b)uilt, not [ b ]uilt. (Again, I cannot show what you did; it would look like this: uilt.)

Yes, I've corrected this... thanks.

Run down:

They were performing a musical number which involved a thun by simulating the instrument..  when my assembled and properly built thun was sitting two spaces away in the area designated for the tavern and I found that odd.. figured I'd check to see if anyone else is having such issues.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44262 on: December 06, 2015, 06:03:32 pm »

Yes, I've corrected this... thanks.

Run down:

They were performing a musical number which involved a thun by simulating the instrument..  when my assembled and properly built thun was sitting two spaces away in the area designated for the tavern and I found that odd.. figured I'd check to see if anyone else is having such issues.
Plenty of others have had this problem. It must be a bug, so report it.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44263 on: December 06, 2015, 06:05:52 pm »

I've figured out how to successfully pierce through a 1 layer aquifer, and I got rewarded with seams of native gold and casserole cassiterite.

For my next trick, I'm going to divert water to create a waterfall through a tavern that will dump into the aquifer.  With all this gold, may as well have nice golden goblets to get alcohol poisoning from.

Also, I got the quern and press built for book writing, now all I need is some quires and some eggheads.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44264 on: December 06, 2015, 06:10:33 pm »

How DOES one pierce an aquifer?
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...
Pages: 1 ... 2949 2950 [2951] 2952 2953 ... 3839