Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2945 2946 [2947] 2948 2949 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5966009 times)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #44190 on: December 04, 2015, 05:08:13 pm »

To be honest, I have no idea what just went on in my fortress.
There were kea. I had a 2 person (one a human merc) xbow squad outside, and when I saw one repeatedly shooting and no bird dropped, despite the report saying it gave in to pain I went looking for it. It was in a tree. Good thing I looked, as I found a thirsty dorf in another tree. And a dorf corpse in a third...
I decided to feed the two trees with dwarfs in them to the wood burner. For some reason the "saved" but injured dwarf startet attacking my marksdorf. At least thats what I figure from the combat logs. Couldn't think about that properly, as right at that moment a cyclops arrived. I sent everyone inside and told the military, all 6 of them, to defend the fortress with their lives. Behind the cage traps. The cyclops apparently liked to climb trees as well, but at least he came down by himself and ran into a trap. Yay, I can start a zoo. Then I realized lots of dead dwarfs in the entrance hallway. WTF? 2 of my hammerdorfs killed around 8 others, among them the aforementioned marksdwarf and one of my starting seven, who was also my best mason (despite being primarily a miner).
I don't even.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44191 on: December 04, 2015, 05:50:12 pm »

Dwarves seem to have issues with climbing trees, I've lost two people to tree climbing for fruit lately. They end up going up and staying up there. I'm half wondering if they're broken, or some smart person keeps taking the stepladders away.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44192 on: December 04, 2015, 06:04:23 pm »

I am wondering more about those that my hammerdorfs slaughtert. Why? What did they do?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44193 on: December 04, 2015, 06:05:37 pm »

Loyalty cascade.
One wheel short of a wagon

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #44194 on: December 04, 2015, 06:24:34 pm »

Ahh yes the wonderful loyalty cascade. It menaces with spikes of job cancellations, interrupted by speardwarf.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #44195 on: December 04, 2015, 06:26:36 pm »

Remembering some dwarves + waterfall problem i had a few years ago , i decided to not tempt the AI pathing again and wall the thing :D

Hopefully even if they're able to climb this time, that will help preventing those suicidals guys to try to see if they can fly.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 07:17:28 pm by Robsoie »

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44196 on: December 04, 2015, 10:33:24 pm »

Again no outpost liason...also apparently my civilisation now has a diplomat??? An alarming number of people are goblins too...I am confused. Maybe we accidentally turned into a goblin-ethnics civ after the fort was founded...although the king is still a dwarf.

We have a general too. Do goblin civs have generals? Things you don't know when you never got sieged in the previous version.

EDIT: Also both the diplomat and general are dwarves. Hm.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44197 on: December 04, 2015, 10:49:42 pm »

Merchants arrived for the first time!

And then they all noticed a Giant Tick that's hovering in the air next to the branches of one of the trees...so the merchants have fled in terror.  Didn't even engage the thing.

My dwarves, on the other hand, have decided that fighting that Giant Tick is the most important thing in the world.  Unfortunately, it's hovering NEXT TO the tree's upper branches, not IN the tree.  (Giant Tick, Open Space - that's what checking the square reveals.)  So half of my fortress just climbed the tree after the giant tick that they can't reach, stopping halfway up the tree to (I assume) yell cusswords at it while they start to die of thirst.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44198 on: December 04, 2015, 11:56:38 pm »

Facehugged celebrated its 25th year of founding anniversary with a ceremonial slaughter of its roc and dragon population. They weren't fit for breeding stock anyway.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44199 on: December 05, 2015, 12:07:39 am »

Just had a camel tear the arms off of one of my hunters and crushed the poor guy's head.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44200 on: December 05, 2015, 12:14:20 am »

So I gen a new world, find a nice-ish area (no trees will be interesting) and...I can't take an anvil with me. It's literally not an option on the embark screen.

I don't even.

EDIT: We have steel and pig iron, but no iron. No steel anvils either. Okay then.

No metal until the first caravan it is!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 12:18:46 am by FortunaDraken »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #44201 on: December 05, 2015, 02:11:32 am »

My fortress moved through its 3rd winter , nothing much to mention out of a Giant and then an Ettin "attack" , well both semi-megabeast were nearly insta-killed by my very competent military, the Giant just managed to kill a civilian that was too close to the map border where it spawned, but that's all the danger they were.

Then finally in the middle of that 3rd year a goblin siege came

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
But oh so much fun to see an actual goblin siege after all that time.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 02:42:01 am by Robsoie »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44202 on: December 05, 2015, 02:37:32 am »

Having a hell of a time trying to get my soldiers to wear armor. Doing pretty well against the Gobbos but I'm taking heavy casualties in every seige because shirts are terrible at keeping you alive.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #44203 on: December 05, 2015, 02:44:44 am »

Same here, i have lots of iron helm and iron breastplate but the dwarves absolutely refuse to replace their stupid cloth by them, despite i have "replace" set for their equipment (as they can't wear helm over a cap by example) :/

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44204 on: December 05, 2015, 03:18:22 am »

7 out of 9 of my first artifacts have been wearable items, lots of leather and even steel. I hope to get a full set of artifact armor and weapon and equip a master combat dwarf with it all.
Pages: 1 ... 2945 2946 [2947] 2948 2949 ... 3838