Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2934 2935 [2936] 2937 2938 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972972 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #44025 on: November 29, 2015, 05:41:53 pm »

Poor rationing has lead to a lack of food among the dwarves of Daggerfaith, an issue exacerbated by a group of migrant workers doubling the population.

Without harming the livestock (which are far more useful to us alive than dead as sources of milk and wool,) starvation was kept just-barely at bay by a pair of herbalists: Sodel and Kumil. Who only just managed to find enough bayberries to feed everyone.

Drink is also in dangerously small quantities, a situation that will hopefully be fixed soon.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #44026 on: November 29, 2015, 05:58:15 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
No worry, it's going to be OK !

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Well .. not really.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #44027 on: November 29, 2015, 07:18:47 pm »

I just realized Agedhammers in dwarven is Anamnil. Ironic, as this was a randomly-generated name.

It is fall of year three. I've shipped off another cage of animals to the crown, in exchange for several valuable gems. The kiwis have hatched and are being trained. The moose are slowly multiplying. My small food stockpile has filled up with several thousand units of food and drink - an animal industry produces a lot of food if you only have 7 dwarves.

I've also caught a sasquatch and I have no idea what to do with it.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44028 on: November 29, 2015, 07:46:19 pm »

A small herd of hamster people ran onto the map while I was in the middle of trading with the elves (They bought a tame hippo! Now if only that sucker was war trainable). They ran right through the trade depot, and into the six cage traps sitting behind it. I can only assume they wanted to get at my food stores, since they ignored the food I had just gotten from the elves.

Now if only I had a military. Oh well they can sit in the cages until they either die from whatever wild animal people die of, or until I have more dwarves.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44029 on: November 29, 2015, 10:11:15 pm »

Hoard of undead lead by an elvish necromancer have been  hanging out at the edge of the map for the past six in-game months. Refuse to come attack, even though there is a (not ungaurded) path into my fortress. Instead, they just hang out at the edge, shamble towards wildlife when they see it, when the wildlife outruns them, they shamble back to the edge of the map. One unfortunate flock of turkeys spawned right on top of them. They outnumber me, and my army isn't strong enough yet to meet them out in the open far from shelter. I could handle them in my fort entrance, but for some reason they are smart enough not to engage me on my terms =^p
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44030 on: November 30, 2015, 12:43:39 am »

While testing an extremely cold embark (-1000 min/max temperature during worldgen, ~9200'U on-site) I found that the cold destroys all vile force of darkness sieges, with trolls and goblins. 

In fact, for 10 sieges over 11 years, not a single troll or goblin survived, and the only thing left behind were their metal objects strewn about the surface.  Every trace of corpses, bones, or body parts are instantly removed due to cold damage the moment the siege arrives.  Most of the siege invaders are in fact DOA, as in, mangled corpses as soon as they appear on the map edge with the announcement.

Verrrry interesting.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44031 on: November 30, 2015, 01:58:10 am »

While testing an extremely cold embark (-1000 min/max temperature during worldgen, ~9200'U on-site) I found that the cold destroys all vile force of darkness sieges, with trolls and goblins. 

In fact, for 10 sieges over 11 years, not a single troll or goblin survived, and the only thing left behind were their metal objects strewn about the surface.  Every trace of corpses, bones, or body parts are instantly removed due to cold damage the moment the siege arrives.  Most of the siege invaders are in fact DOA, as in, mangled corpses as soon as they appear on the map edge with the announcement.

Verrrry interesting.
How have your Dwarves not frozen to death? Physiological differences?
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #44032 on: November 30, 2015, 02:03:39 am »

A member of my Citizens' Watch, armed with dragon bone crossbow, wooden shield, bone bolts, and light armor as I get it, was cornered by a zombie buzzard that came in the only partially-roofed back door.  He struggled to fend it off, picking up a few bruises but holding his own while my actual soldiers strolled back from the main entrance.  Than his wife happened to come around the corner and saw the fight.  She's an ordinary civilian with no noteworthy skills, not even recruited for the Watch yet, but she charged with her bare hands.  And she crushed it with one angry blow of her fist, saving her beloved from its relentless attack.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #44033 on: November 30, 2015, 02:36:59 am »

Ah, the glorious nature of RNG.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44034 on: November 30, 2015, 03:46:19 am »

My fort is currently being rebuilt because of running into a very weird bug where I could not for any reason get out of the z menu. I could go in to my animals or stocks or whatever and ESC out of them just fine, but the main menu did not want to go away. I'm not sure how I caused that one...

EDIT: Ahahaha that's amazing. Giant Tortoises retract into their shells when startled, so I've had this small herd just sitting around on the map for awhile. One of them was sitting where my line of cages around the map edge is going to be, so I just kind of set it to be made, and to my amusement, he sat there through the whole thing, resulting in an instant catch as soon as the trap was loaded.

This has been repeated quite a few times now and same result. Soon we shall feast on giant tortoise eggs.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 07:02:37 am by FortunaDraken »
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44035 on: November 30, 2015, 11:04:35 am »

... How have your Dwarves not frozen to death? Physiological differences?
Just have to get them underground, where it's a nice and toasty 10015'U. If you leave them on the surface, they will get frostbite and die, but it takes a few in-game days, which is plenty of time to get underground.

I'm not sure why many/most/some of the invaders arrive dead though, that's a new one to me.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44036 on: November 30, 2015, 01:24:21 pm »

Game simulates their journey somehow?

Imagine legions of goblins, frostbitten and frozen, crawling and staggering through the mountain passes and trails just to try to destroy the mightiest bastion of dwarfkind... a self-inflicted racial genocide, driven by hate, only the strongest ever getting there at all...

Or maybe they get flash-frozen on entry, like boiling water, and you get gobbo statues :D
One wheel short of a wagon

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #44037 on: November 30, 2015, 04:03:42 pm »

I created the Vault of The Forgotten

Atmospheric soundtrack

Down in the bowels in the fortress, shortly before the underground cave, is an exaggeratedly ornate microcline door flanked by a peculiar arrangement of levers.  Only a select few dwarves of the highest order are allowed past this point, and only in pairs.  But, only one of them exists afterwards.

Opening the fancy door reveals a corridor in which the stone has been hastily smoothed, but the work was never finished.  At the end is another door, made of schist, looking ordinary, bleak and run-down.

Past that point is a dark corridor stretching either way, completely devoid of torches, stretching into an impenetrable oblivion.  Intrepid adventurers will find the narrow passages to lead nowhere, nothing but rough rock and some oddly smoothed parts... but from beyond the rock comes muted voices, sometimes moans, snarling, sometimes even screams.

Because, see, some of the population had become... afflicted.  A vampire hidden in the ranks.  A were-creature spreading his infection to the citizens.  A supernatural syndrome that caused dangerous and deadly effect.  We could not just murder them in cold blood; a revolt would arise almost instantly.  So, we locked them away.  We sealed them, leading them into those corridors of no return, throwing them in one of those isolation rooms and pulling the level, raising a drawbridge behind them and forever sealing them in this eternally dark place in which they shall live forever.  They do not need food, water, or sleep.  They will slowly go insane from the boredom, losing track of time, uncontrollably transforming each full moon and never coming to understand what afflicts them.

We tell the others they just left the fortress, went on to tackle new challenges elsewhere.  We do not speak of them anymore.

Woe to whoever opens the door.  Should they be caught sating their curiosity, we will have no choice but to seal them in too.  There must be no witnesses.  The dark secret of the fortress must forever remain a secret.

Woe to the adventurer who ventures too far long, long after the fortress has crumbled to ruins.  Be too greedy and intrepid, and you shall find yourself confronted with the sight of a half-dozen very bored, very old, very naked, and very angry were-creatures that you have foolishly let out into freedom.

Potato9999

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly racist against goblins
    • View Profile
« Reply #44038 on: November 30, 2015, 06:14:15 pm »

The first murder in my humble fort of Criedworked has been accompanied by the first discovery of a vampire. After a child was discovered sucked dry, I went through the bios of every single dwarf to find the vampire. I've discovered the fortress' first night creature:

-Horrified after seeing the victim die, when the only other people to have seen her dead were her parents when they walked into the room and saw the body?

-Going through his skills, I found he was skilled in fifteen different things (eight of which he was Great at)

-A former member of three different kingdoms, AND a former commander of one of them? Sounds like he's a lot older than he claims to be.

-Vampires do not eat, drink, or sleep, and this guy has absolutely no thoughts whatsoever about bedrooms, dining halls, or meals.

"Starting to work slowly due to scarcity of alcohol"

-I have over a dozen barrels of apricot wine and he's telling me alcohol is scarce? Vampires can not and will not drink anything other than blood, but as dwarves, they're still dependent on alcohol, leading to this interesting little phenomenon.

-Going through his relationships list, he is related to absolutely nobody. He has one passing acquaintance and two "Friendly Terms", but no family whatsoever.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #44039 on: November 30, 2015, 06:18:00 pm »

Lock him up and watch him! If he gets hungry or thirsty, let him out and smooth/engrave his bedroom for the time spent sitting in a room. Otherwise...

Vampire Bookkeeper? Super-Soldier? Save-the-Fortress-in-case-Goblins-or-Zombies-or-Megabeasts-Kill-Everyone-Else-but-the-Vampire-Stuck-in-a-Tiny-Room Device?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 2934 2935 [2936] 2937 2938 ... 3839