Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2933 2934 [2935] 2936 2937 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5973291 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #44010 on: November 28, 2015, 04:12:59 pm »

I started a new fortress, Agedhammers. It's only 1 embark tile, the pop cap is 7, and the point of the fort is to tame wild animals. So far I've got giant wrens and giant flying squirrels. Great horned owls and barn owls are also coming along and I have a cougar and two bull moose.

AND SWEET BABY JESUS I HAVE 100 FPS

Huntthetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44011 on: November 28, 2015, 06:53:48 pm »

We're having !!FUN!! times at Helmsspirits. An invasion force of 55 zombie soldiers is besieging us on the surface, but they are effectively locked out. Elite Marksdwarf Tulon Paperfights takes potshots at them from her fortified bunker at the peak of a hill.

A troll recently killed our legendary armorsmith and smashed our water wheel, only to get his head chopped off by our brave militia dwarves. We had just finished disposing of his body when a towering, eight-legged hadrosaurid with external ribs thundered out of the depths, making a beeline for the central staircase. The militia mobilized again, and rushed off to intercept the beast.

Hammerdwarf Olin Gladecloistered was the first to reach the hadrosaur. He rained blows upon it with his ≡iron war hammer≡, breaking every bone in its body while blocking the swipes of its mighty limbs and dodging its headlong lunges. The beast's poisonous gas left him numb and nauseous, yet still he pressed on. Finally, just as his comrades spotted him and rushed to his aid, he passed out from sheer exhaustion. When he fell, the monster clamped its jaws on his left thigh and ripped the leg right out of his *iron greaves*.

As Olin's blood drained out of his dying body, it seemed that Ab Sootymorose the Painful Trials had won the duel. But Olin had smashed the forgotten beast's ribs, punctured its lungs, and broken its neck; now, as he bled to death, his foe suffocated. In its dying spasms, the hadrosaur bit his head and yanked it back and forth a few times, before finally grinding to a halt. The battle was over...

...or so it seemed! Now, as the dwarves of the Gear of Taming prepare a tomb for their fallen hero, the threat has redoubled, for the forgotten beast has risen again! Its corpse, not even cold yet, has been reanimated by the foul energies of the Plain of Vomit! The blasphemous thing shambles toward the surviving militia dwarves! They tremble in horror at being attacked by the dead!

...Look! Look! The thing has disemboweled our mayor!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #44012 on: November 28, 2015, 09:11:52 pm »

It is terrifying.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44013 on: November 28, 2015, 09:34:32 pm »

It was inevitable.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #44014 on: November 28, 2015, 09:36:17 pm »

It must be stopped by all means at our disposal.

One large wooden corkscrew and the old Gamefillip.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44015 on: November 29, 2015, 12:36:29 am »

And by "Gamefillip", I presume you mean "gratuitous amounts of magma".
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44016 on: November 29, 2015, 06:09:02 am »

T-minus 50 hours, and I just had a crash after finally cleaning up the slime that got tracked in and was paralyzing everyone.

So, screw it... pull the Zombocalypse lever!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh dear...

Yeesh.
Multiple named zombies, zombies killing zombies getting raised by necros while different zombies kill other necros and the last necro gets killed. Crazy.

Near the end I tracked down the last living dorf, the mayor, he was running and got knocked out on a cage trap. Nobody to let him out and I intended to come visit with an adventurer so I ghosted him.

Got there with my adventurer, found the cage, built a lever and linked it up, freed him.

First thing he says?

...well.

Not sure if they were related but I kept finding little zombie-skirmishes too.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44017 on: November 29, 2015, 09:55:01 am »

*snip*
Oh Armok... it is... quite... hnnnngh...

...fying.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44018 on: November 29, 2015, 11:09:21 am »

While experimenting with minecarts I forgot about my livestock. Lost sustainable alpaca population (caravans are turned off for a long time), but have 70+ giant cave spiders now.

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #44019 on: November 29, 2015, 11:29:37 am »

After 9 months of hiatus, I'm trying to remember how everything works. Then the ice melted out from under my wagon.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44020 on: November 29, 2015, 01:24:52 pm »

Meanwhile in Windstockade, the dwarves decided to take a trip to the Circus, and guess what happened?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #44021 on: November 29, 2015, 02:23:06 pm »

That's what I want to do someday...

*recalls when he was a little dwarven boy hearing about the circus*

Jwood cancels backstory: Too Cliche

But yeah, I can't wait to hone my skills and finally pierce the fun stuff, and drive the foul creatures out and build a fortified outpost.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44022 on: November 29, 2015, 03:19:26 pm »

Oh yeah, the flame creature bug has a good reason.

They tend to explode, angels do that too if you find fire ones.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44023 on: November 29, 2015, 05:05:33 pm »

Oh yeah, the flame creature bug has a good reason.
They tend to explode, angels do that too if you find fire ones.
Humbug! True termite dwarven soldiers should always be willing to sacrifice themselves for the hive fort!

Huntthetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44024 on: November 29, 2015, 05:18:49 pm »

xHelmsspirits Updatex:

Forgotten beasts are bad, but zombie forgotten beasts are worse. Far, far worse.

The great, shambling corpse of Ab Sootymorose the Painful Trials has gained its own name: "Glumdrain, the Unkempt Insanities." It annihilated the rest of our militia and massacred the civilians who were trapped in the cavern when we sealed it off. Now, Glumdrain roams the depths, accompanied by the headless bodies of our fallen warriors (as well as their severed heads). They make short work of any living creatures that wander beneath Helmsspirits.

We now have no choice but to destroy the zombie army on the surface. Formidable though they may be, they are still easier to vanquish than Glumdrain and its headless retinue. Our siege operator, Mafol Planestreaty, spends every waking moment firing his catapult through the fortifications by the main gate. But Mafol is no soldier, and when the zombies come too close, he takes fright and flees his post. We cannot depend on this coward to save us.

Accordingly, our finest minds have designed a superweapon: the "minecart shotgun," which should give us the firepower we need to kill the zombies. From emplacements near the top of the great hills above Helmsspirits, these devices will rain hundreds of projectiles onto the zombies as they shuffle past on their mindless circuits through the valley below. Or so we hope.

How many flying +rock mugs+ does it take to de-animate a Human Lasher Corpse? Only time will tell.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 06:01:15 pm by Huntthetroll »
Pages: 1 ... 2933 2934 [2935] 2936 2937 ... 3839