Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2912 2913 [2914] 2915 2916 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5965533 times)

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43695 on: November 02, 2015, 06:30:35 pm »

Cloaks and backpacks for the military, FB silk is fireproof.
Losing dwarves because they don't know how to remove their flaming cloaks is annoying.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43696 on: November 02, 2015, 06:50:04 pm »

Cloaks and backpacks for the military, FB silk is fireproof.
Losing dwarves because they don't know how to remove their flaming cloaks is annoying.
Hey, having been in a situation where I'm melting and can't figure out why, it isn't exactly easy for us to go into our inventory and figure out which of the !!items!! we have equipped to remove first, why should it be any easier for a dorf?

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43697 on: November 02, 2015, 07:23:09 pm »

These dorfs, man. These dorfs. You go through all the trouble of using designation priorities so that they don't injure themselves by channeling the wrong tiles in the wrong order and cause cave-ins, and what do they do? Injure themselves by channeling the wrong tiles in the wrong order and cause cave-ins, of course. Oh well, at least the doctors are getting practice.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Nep Nep

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of Za Warudo
    • View Profile
« Reply #43698 on: November 02, 2015, 08:30:43 pm »

I got a migrant wave of 46 and more then half of them are just children.
I'm not far enough in the game to have a "Children Euthanize Chamber" so I have to deal with a bunch of freeloaders.
Welp.
Waluigi rushes to aid him, but not before warning Bowser, "Don't expect mouth-to-mouth!"

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43699 on: November 02, 2015, 08:36:33 pm »

I'm not far enough in the game to have a "Children Euthanize Chamber"
You're never not far enough to get children out of the way. Even just a simple repeating training spear trap can do wonders at killing small things like babies and cats.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43700 on: November 02, 2015, 09:17:49 pm »

My Queen entered a fell mood, and dragged a legendary miller with hands stained indigo by dimple dye into the butcher's shop.  She made an enormous corkscrew out of his bones.

She then stopped in the doorway just outside the butcher's shop and fell into a depression.

The victim's memorial ends with, "Murdered by the dwarf Nil Gravelesteemed in the year 265 / Loving father and husband".

This game.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 09:30:10 pm by Kneenibble »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #43701 on: November 02, 2015, 10:24:57 pm »

You can be depressed after making an artifact?  Huh, I thought artifacts prevented insanity.

But yeah, the other stuff's normal.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43702 on: November 02, 2015, 10:27:38 pm »

Seems like a pretty typical "OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE" moment. How on earth did you let your queen of all people get upset enough for a fell mood?

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43703 on: November 02, 2015, 11:33:10 pm »

Seems like a pretty typical "OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE" moment. How on earth did you let your queen of all people get upset enough for a fell mood?

It could have been the negative thoughts for not having a functional justice system, which many people elect not to build - frustrated at delayed punishment x20 is a powerful thing.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43704 on: November 02, 2015, 11:35:28 pm »

It could have been the negative thoughts for not having a functional justice system, which many people elect not to build - frustrated at delayed punishment x20 is a powerful thing.

I favor motivating myself to meet mandates and such through more tangible means and as a small challenge of sorts: You don't deal with typical crossbow beatings for missed mandates, you get bludgeoned by a trained macedwarf packing a silver fucking mace.

As you can imagine, my fortress guards tend to be pretty unpopular dudes.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43705 on: November 02, 2015, 11:43:33 pm »

Eh, I just kill nobles that don't make reasonable mandates. The reason my duke and mayor have lived as long as the have is that the duke only asks for warhammers and thrones while the mayor only asks for maces.....well, there was that one time he demanded a lead bed in his office, but otherwise he's been totally reasonable.

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43706 on: November 03, 2015, 12:15:12 am »

The whole fort is in a whirlpool of bad thoughts from bringing goblin and troll corpses to the magma crematory, before I realized how detrimental the emotional fallout gets.  I have a justice system in place, and in fact the only delayed punishment is that of the queen herself, whose tantrums have turned her into quite the troublemaker.  I haven't convicted her for any of the disorderly behaviour charges because, like Splint, I don't fancy having her face caved in by one of the military.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43707 on: November 03, 2015, 12:45:13 am »

I finally got an embark that twigs my muse. I played a few months into it and was having a pretty good time; two dwarves dead, one to an undead attack, the second because he'd been crippled in the first and decided to go out swinging after the rest of the dwarves were all neck-deep in ale when I needed a lever pulled. Then something happened.

Spoiler: Here's what I had (click to show/hide)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43708 on: November 03, 2015, 02:38:40 am »

I'm not far enough in the game to have a "Children Euthanize Chamber"
You're never not far enough to get children out of the way. Even just a simple repeating training spear trap can do wonders at killing small things like babies and cats.
Or turning them into productive members of the military.

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43709 on: November 03, 2015, 02:41:06 am »

I never really bothered to seal off the 2nd and 3rd carven back when i discovered them, since i had defences higher up and when i discovered them there was little activity in that area. Years pass, and the depths become busy as i constructed magma forges and started my(still ongoing) attempt to drain the bottom carven layer to better get at Adamantine. As my fortress wealth increased i was attacked by increasing numbers of forgotten beasts, but i never bothered to build any defences lower down as the handful of l steel armed and armoured legendary melee dwarfs, who composed the core of my military(other than that i only have a few lacklustre marksdwaves and a lot of very recently recruited peasants), were more than capable of forgotten beasts, as they would go on to prove numerous times.

That is, until a web-spewing crystal glass humanoid showed up on my second carven layer, from which it had complete access to my main stairway. This did not worry me at first and i sent my legendary squad down from the surface to face it, however when it was about halfway to my stairway i remembered how in the early days of my fortress a web-spewing titan had attacked and wiped out most of military before proceeding to kill two dozen random civilians before being punched by some random nobody. I quickly ordered the stairwell to be walled but by that point it was two late and the Forgotten Beast reached the stairwell at the first time as the first of the workers. The results were terrifying :-X A legendary swordmaster with years of experience and over twenty kills, clad in high quality steel, was webbed and killed before he even got a chance to attack, A legendary Macedwarf and a baroness(who was more importantly a Legendary Brewer) guickly followed. I then watched in horror as the Monster proceeded to kill everyone who was walking up or down the stairway in that area, eventually killing 32 more dwarfs(including a Legendary Brewer and Miner who had been a backbone of my fort), before eventually  being struck down by another Legendary Miner. It looked pretty horrible, and many of fortress denizens now suffer from a vary high degree of stress. I in the process of building another graveyard to hold the bodys as well as working out how to seal off the(pretty much useless) 2nd carven.

P.S. How do you post images

Pages: 1 ... 2912 2913 [2914] 2915 2916 ... 3838