Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2877 2878 [2879] 2880 2881 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099606 times)

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43170 on: October 01, 2015, 01:41:37 pm »

OH GOD SO MUCH FRUIT

"Fruit, fruit, fruit, fruit, fruity-fruit, fruity-fruit, fruit, fruit, fruit..."

(Sorry, now I got the Viking Spam song in my head - but spam replaced with fruit...)

Only one of the ingredients is actually mussel.

Spoiler: fruit sketch (click to show/hide)

Wait! I've found an ingredient that isn't fruit (or mussel): Bitter vetch leaf!

Aren't leaves classified as fruit by the game?

Skribbblie

• Bay Watcher
  • Dlaglunkis slugutalbis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43171 on: October 01, 2015, 06:50:31 pm »

How strange. I've never seen a liaison who is also a soldier.

I'm not really sure that maiming someone and forcing them to live with a crippling disability for your amusement can really be considered "merciful." Just sayin'.
Dwarven mercy.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43172 on: October 02, 2015, 04:47:16 pm »

45 dwarf migrant wave, from 20. Pretty much all one extended family, farm labourers and kids for the most part.
One wheel short of a wagon

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43173 on: October 02, 2015, 05:05:45 pm »

Year 31.  Population now 105.  The crundle extermination program has ceased; the fort decided to perform psychological experiments on the village of plump helmet people captured during the crundle operation, but releasing them from their cages into a pit to (hopefully) breed a larger experimental population has resulted in no further animals entering the second cavern layer.

The cavern has been left open to invite forgotten beasts, and so far we've killed three.  Goal: to bring the world out of the age of myth by killing and killing and killing.

I had to replace one of my hammerdwarves.  She started to get stressed out, despite having no indication in her profile that she's susceptible to stress.  I subbed in the thirteen-year-old daughter of my planter and my leatherworker.  We do have three residents who are susceptible to stress, and repeated incursions by wild buzzards has put all three of them in the mayor/duchess's office every couple of days.  I have therefore created a marksdwarf squad long before I intended to do so, with the goal of extirpating the buzzards.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43174 on: October 03, 2015, 12:46:58 am »

Treatylong is doing well, I've gotten to the sixth year now, I'm a metropolis, I'm looking forward to the human queen moving in so I can dfhack whatever it takes to get her rooms assigned properly since the royal hall has been so... lovingly... decorated.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Meanwhile I decided to make my retired hyperspeed adventurer the fortress champion, though her real title is Zokunokab: Siegebreaker.

She's still single so I've got her squad off of active duty to encourage her to socialize hopefully. Maybe she finds it hard to identify with people who move so slowly... or perhaps she still smells kinda like zombie guts.

It isn't like she's unfun, hell, she's a fantastic juggler.

Granted, she doesn't bother trying to catch the heads, I guess she figures as long as there is a head in the air it counts?

I'm not gonna tell her otherwise, are you?

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43175 on: October 03, 2015, 08:54:37 am »

I understood that keas are small parrots, annoying only. I was so wrong and paid a heavy price for that ignorance. Those are f*cking DIVE-BOMBERS with LETHAL accuracy.

The smith's throat takes the full force of the impact and the part splits in gore!
The smith's upper body takes the full force of the impact and the part splits in gore!
An artery has been opened by the attack!
Smith has been found dead

and he was only the first one...

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43176 on: October 03, 2015, 10:50:35 am »

Are you sure it wasn't Giant Keas?

Besides that, never underestimate the power of flying objects in Dwarf Fortress!
I do remember a certain fluffy wambler decapitating a bronze colossus once...
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43177 on: October 03, 2015, 11:43:53 am »

Are you sure it wasn't Giant Keas?

Besides that, never underestimate the power of flying objects in Dwarf Fortress!
I do remember a certain fluffy wambler decapitating a bronze colossus once...
Regular keas. I'm not even sure if they're boom & zooming through my citizens or actually hauling them up in the air and dropping them. I'm ready to believe in both options.

Oh, I wont from now on. I'm going to train so many crossbowmen and start the hunt, Malta style. If a bird falls with less than 5 bolts in it, I execute the captain.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #43178 on: October 03, 2015, 11:54:25 am »

Our strength has been broken.

Note to self: Military dwarves don't pull levers, levers in the barracks is a terrible idea.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #43179 on: October 03, 2015, 07:58:06 pm »

The fort of Voidspider is digging up its (thematically fitting) arena of spiders, where catches can and (most likely will) be pitted against each other.  Currently contemplating what kind of pattern I should place on the spider's "torso" (the Cephalothorax, for ya spider buffs), and wondering if it should be walls, automated traps, or spikes to make an arena interesting.

Edit:  Also, a siege has come, allegedly from the goblins, but it's lookin' primarily of humans!  This siege was promptly broken in record time.  Two crossbowmen, a lasher, and 7 recruits who are unarmed!  Armorwise, the humans had nothing but clothes, and the goblin had a cap of iron.  Not much goblinite, but at least four subjects to drop into the spider arena when it's done.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 08:13:54 pm by NESgamer190 »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43180 on: October 03, 2015, 08:47:45 pm »

Dammit Limul, this is why I tell you to kill the necromancers BEFORE jumping into the pile of 80 zombies.

Having them resurrect all the parts you cut off is counterproductive, I know you're having fun, but seriously! Even with autodump it takes forever to sort all the parts neatly.

In non-slaughter related news, the queen arrived and Treatylong is now the mountainhome, my first one actually! She was a human though, so I had to use a bit of dfhackery to get her rooms assigned.

Then she is too stupid to eat so rather than let her die or whatnot I just grabbed control of her so she could eat one of the balm items that gives [NO_EAT][NO_DRINK][NO_SLEEP]... and makes her zoom around hilariously fast, almost as quickly as Limul does. She's no good in a fight though, I can barely get her to wear anything as is, so I'm happy enough having her roaming around the royal hall chatting with everyone.

Normally she would have gone insane from room complaints and starved/dehydrated to death unless caged or something, so hey.

Drokles

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok hates us unconditionally
    • View Profile
« Reply #43181 on: October 04, 2015, 03:46:35 am »

My civ has had an incredibly bloody history. The first 14 years were fine, then for about 30 years there is no king until goblin invaders install their own king. Our civ is at war with two goblin civs and one elf one.
What follows is more than 50 years where goblin kings replace each other each spring after the Vile Jackal or the Tick of Inching invade the capital - mixed in with the occasional elven king.

Finally the goblin king Monom has arrived to my newly declared mountainhomes. He is one of the first of his kind and has the appearance of someone 264 years old, and he doesn't die after being pitted against various cave animals for more than half a year.

Time for !!SCIENCE!!
On the rare occasions where this fort isnt under siege, wood cutting and hauling is our ultimate priority.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43182 on: October 04, 2015, 05:01:23 am »

Nothing like a werehorse attack during an immigration wave to keep population down.

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43183 on: October 04, 2015, 05:06:52 am »

203 dwarves and finally got the magma installed in the area I mined out for it years ago, plan went perfectly, tapped the side of the volcano and then obsidianized the hole when enough of the red stuff had filled the chamber. filling a 7Z level 2x2 cistern is what took so long. No creatures died and only a kitten was scared when it saw the red stuff coming at it. finally I can stop making so much charcoal.

After three years of the caravan wagons randomly dying on the approach and having the traders leave without trading I used an internal trade depot with only a 1 tile wide access to get the dwarves the next three years bought everything they brought. Gave them some 3000 seeds from the fruit and plant gathering zone, now perhaps all my underground crops will thrive.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43184 on: October 04, 2015, 05:13:57 am »

I'm also pretty sure my roomless mayor is a vampire, I have 45 bodies to bury with 25 dwarves, 10 of them kids, and everyone is depressed as my central hall is covered in bodies. On the bright side, on of the two dwarves I cared about survived, and my group will finally start earning it's name as the "Crypt of Infamy". So fun times.
Pages: 1 ... 2877 2878 [2879] 2880 2881 ... 3842