Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2730 2731 [2732] 2733 2734 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6111638 times)

Wondabarrapa

• Bay Watcher
  • Charge!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #40965 on: April 23, 2015, 12:04:55 pm »

currently testing out the prisoner drop chute into my leopard and jaguar pit and constructing a long drop tower onto a sacrificial altar. also im debating whether that roc who killed a child is really tame or just trying to trick me

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40966 on: April 23, 2015, 01:35:08 pm »

After two years without migrants, I decided to "cheat".
I can justify the absence of migrants with the undead siege I had, so I can also justify the "tweak makeown" over a trader and an axedwarf with the story of my resistance to the siege.

Interestingly, the Trader immediatly decided to "Handle a Horse"; he didn't pasture the horse, he went straight to the forge in order to get a cage in which confine the berserk horse. Said horse went missing soon aftwerard, as I decided to pit him under my atom-smasher.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40967 on: April 23, 2015, 01:50:17 pm »

To my surprise I noticed some fish swimming in a water reservoir that's supposed to be closed tightly from the source brook. To get rid of them I designated the wells as a fishing zone and now my fisherdwarves keep hauling in tons of fish and pond turtle from the few square urist water tank.

There are no fish or turtles anywhere else on the map. I'm not complaining but still...
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #40968 on: April 23, 2015, 02:52:35 pm »

Finally caught the dust-breathing condor from the third cavern. That makes four FBs. This one's poison causes horrible bleeding and death in anything smaller than a giant sperm whale.

The Hell Bastion is progressing slowly. I think it's around 1/3 done.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40969 on: April 23, 2015, 03:15:09 pm »

Of course, now that I have claimed a Trader, the mountainhome has decided to send migrants.

I choose to think that the leaving caravan told the king the story of how we survived, with only 14 dorfs and no military, to two undead sieges.
It helped that the sieges were composed of two undead corpses each, but still...
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #40970 on: April 23, 2015, 03:42:15 pm »

Of course, now that I have claimed a Trader, the mountainhome has decided to send migrants.

I choose to think that the leaving caravan told the king the story of how we survived, with only 14 dorfs and no military, to two undead sieges.
It helped that the sieges were composed of two undead corpses each, but still...

A siege is a siege ;)
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #40971 on: April 23, 2015, 03:54:17 pm »

Yes!  The traders brought more armor this time, though they brought no useful metals.

My militia commander is wearing some leopard leather trousers, a pig leather dress, an alpaca wool coat dyed blue, a steel breastplate that menaces with spikes of giant rat bone, a sheep wool cloak, a pig tail fiber cap, a porcupine leather hood, a pair of cave spider silk gloves, a pair of giant cave spider silk mittens dyed blue, a pair of alpaca wool socks dyed blue, a pair of giant cave spider silk shoes, a well-crafted steel battle axe, a water buffalo leather backpack with a strawberry and a prickle berry in it, a finely-crafted bronze shield, encrusted with briolette cut alexandrites and encircled with bands of rectangular lignite cabochons, and steel chain leggings.

He's a proficient axedwarf, a competent shield user, an adequate armor user, a proficient discipline, a dabbling observer, a skilled fighter, an adequate wrestler, a competent striker, a skilled dodger, and a dabbling misc. object user, along with being a proficient organizer.

Does he sound like an okay militia commander for the second year?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, what.  I just got the jails up, because our sheriff was worried, and Domas, the glassmaker and clothier, started a party there.  A party.  Perhaps she's celebrating the safety that a jail gives us?  I heard her say, "Never forget true loyalty."  Perhaps she thinks people will be more loyal if they see that the sheriff really means... it?  Mosus was serving as a temporary sheriff, and she still is.  She's naturally trustworthy of everyone, gets caught up in internal deliberations when action is necessary, doesn't hold onto grievances, tends to avoid any physical confrontations, is nervous...  It's time to switch her out.  Thank you, Mosus, but I don't think you're right for this.  I wouldn't even know she knew she was a sheriff, if not for her stating her worries about the lack of a jail.  Who knows, she might have just been saying that because she was the mayor.

Hmm...  Who would be a good sheriff?  We have sixty-seven dwarves, I don't have time to check all of them.  Perhaps...

Loyal?  Check.

Brave?  Check.

Doesn't want many possessions?  That's good, she won't demand as much.

Likes excitement now and then?  Good.

Acts impartially?  Check.

Isn't particularly interested in what others think about her?  That's good, as hard decisions might draw ire from others.

Yep, she'll do well!  She's only twenty-six, but I think that's fine.  She's friends with almost everybody, and family with the others.  Welcome to nobility, Domas Imushothsin, captain of the guard!

She didn't say anything about her rooms, but I think she deserves quarters befitting her new status, and a dining room'd be good.  She'll need an office to organize paperwork and clues on the criminals and suspects.  Of course, as she's part of the... militia?  No.  Armed forces?  No.  Well, she's part of the military of Teachcities, and she'll need a weapon rack and an armor stand to store her arms and armor.  A chest and a cabinet would be good for personal belongings.

Nil Tostamost, who made an awesome bed, is blissful after sleeping in a bedroom like a personal palace and felt pleasure near his own completely sublime bed.  He's saying, "Oh, I'm nothing special."  Oh, you're very special, Nil!  He just prefers to present himself modestly.  Oh, he just said "Art is life."  Indeed.

Ushir, one of our axedwarves, is exhilarated after a sparring session.  "I had a sparring session.  How exhilarating!"  She doesn't like participating in physical confrontations, but respects martial prowess.  Hopefully, we won't have confrontations.  But in the event that we do, the needs of the fortress may overpower her dislikes.  It's not loathing, at least.

Cerol, who sparred with her, said "I had a sparring session.  How pleasurable!", and all the others don't find it exhilarating.

I've noticed all of the dwarves getting better with their weapons in the sparring sessions.  On an interesting note, Ushrir collapsed and fell to the ground from over-exertion, ending the sparring session.  Wow.  That's commitment and discipline.  Working yourself to exhaustion?  I hold a great respect for the brave dwarves in our militia.

Of course, it would be better if the marksdwarves would actually train at their targets.

Well, at least they're giving each other tips on how best to reload and such, and practicing dodging and bashing with their crossbows.  Useful in a fortress without a tower, as enemies may come up to you.  Crossbows are just as good in close combat, perhaps even better, but you've got to avoid being struck, as marksdwarves only have leather armor, to better aid their fast movement.  Bashing with your crossbow lets you take the best of every situation, and is also useful when you run out of ammunition.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 05:35:46 pm by jwoodward48df »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40972 on: April 23, 2015, 04:21:33 pm »

Yes!  The traders brought more armor this time, though they brought no useful metals.

My militia commander is wearing some leopard leather trousers, a pig leather dress, an alpaca wool coat dyed blue, a steel breastplate that menaces with spikes of giant rat bone, a sheep wool cloak, a pig tail fiber cap, a porcupine leather hood, a pair of cave spider silk gloves, a pair of giant cave spider silk mittens dyed blue, a pair of alpaca wool socks dyed blue, a pair of giant cave spider silk shoes, a well-crafted steel battle axe, a water buffalo leather backpack with a strawberry and a prickle berry in it, a finely-crafted bronze shield, encrusted with briolette cut alexandrites and encircled with bands of rectangular lignite cabochons, and steel chain leggings.

He's a proficient axedwarf, a competent shield user, an adequate armor user, a proficient discipline, a dabbling observer, a skilled fighter, an adequate wrestler, a competent striker, a skilled dodger, and a dabbling misc. object user, along with being a proficient organizer.

So long as you don't get undead, you will be fine.  Goblins are wusses.  You will only get undead sieges if you are near a tower (close enough that it shows up as a neighbor, which I think is about 8 of the 16x16 tiles in the embark map).  If you can get your axedwarf up to more like adept then he should be able to take out the goblins all by himself.  Getting him a steel helm would definitely be a nice plus, as that will protect against (un)lucky arrow hits.

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundles + Kobolds = AWESOME!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40973 on: April 23, 2015, 04:41:46 pm »

Sounds good but why is he wearing a dress?  :P
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40974 on: April 23, 2015, 04:55:32 pm »

The tantruming plump helmet woman destroyed her rope again. Are artifacts immune to tantrums? I just got an artifact forgotten beast bone chain.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #40975 on: April 23, 2015, 05:46:52 pm »

He is wearing a dress because dwarves are wonderfully non-sexist.

Tekkud Asmeleral, the husband of Domas, the new captain of the guard, likes his new bedroom.  He's enraptured near his own fine weapon rack and his own fine bed.  That is, he's saying, "I was near to my own weapon rack.  I am so spiritually moved!"

What.

Description:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 06:36:35 pm by jwoodward48df »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40976 on: April 23, 2015, 05:59:50 pm »

Tekkud Asmeleral, the husband of Domas, the new captain of the guard, likes his new bedroom.  He's enraptured near his own fine weapon rack and his own fine bed.  That is, he's saying, "I was near to my own weapon rack.  I am so spiritually moved!"

What.
Dwarves

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #40977 on: April 23, 2015, 06:40:51 pm »

EEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.............its.....its finally happened......

I CUAGHT A NECROMANCERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

ACHIVEMENT UNLOCKED!

OH YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaa
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40978 on: April 23, 2015, 06:47:00 pm »

You're as excited as
 - when I caught breeding GDS
 - when I caught breeding GCS
 - when I caught my first FB
 - when I caught a roc
 - I dunno, several other things I caught

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #40979 on: April 23, 2015, 06:54:59 pm »

it gets better.....I caught another right after I posted that.......

I have never caught a GCS or an FB or a mega beast....

I almost had a Cyclops once, (embarked on a cave that had one) the cages were almost set right next to him.....then some blasted cat walked into his line of sight.....then the Cyclopes attacked....it was then mauled by war dogs.....
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!
Pages: 1 ... 2730 2731 [2732] 2733 2734 ... 3842