Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6101175 times)

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4080 on: July 01, 2010, 06:50:46 pm »

Last time my fort had a caravan, my broker wanted to do absolutely anything to avoid having to trade.  Disabled hauling so he'd quit dumping stone, so he went to bed. Deconstructed the bed to wake him up, so he went and gave water to a sleeping (uninjured, just tired) dwarf. Grrr.

I just reached adamantine for the first time ever. Then breached into hell before I got a chance to mine any :\.
I alse found adamantine for the first time ever.  But I mined some, and no sooner had I discovered to to make wafers, a smith went secretive...

:o That thing's worth 1.2 million dorfbucks, 3 times as much as the rest of the fort put together.
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

Agamemnon

• Bay Watcher
  • Function - unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #4081 on: July 01, 2010, 06:55:07 pm »

I just begun digging the main waterpipe for the magmafactory. Complete with depressurizer, carpfilter, emergency shutdown gates and now I am slowly building up the pumpstack, while the other dwarves finish the hull. Also: The main control room at the top is now being constructed. I am not sure, how big it needs to be, since it has to take all the levers, but I do not yet know how many there will be.
Glossary #52
Execution shaft aka. dwarven wormhole

Works as follows: Things enter one end, emerge at the other and then get eaten by worms.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4082 on: July 01, 2010, 08:02:37 pm »

Playing in genesis, I embarked on an abandoned Goblin dark fortress. Before I could even begin to get the food moved into the towers, buzzards began stealing it. The only thing saved was seeds and the booze. Right now my seven dwarves depend entirely on a single mule for food until I get the farm going.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Flaming Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh No Indian!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4083 on: July 01, 2010, 10:19:21 pm »

I discovered today that playing DF while listening to Deadmau5 makes everything go right. I got two successful moods one after another and finally killed off the GCS with only two swordsdorfs (no deaths), all within a single playthrough of Strobe. I'm going to save Ghosts n Stuff for when I really need help with a siege, or something.
[PERMITTED_JOINT:100] (It's a maximum number per day. This is the elven setting)

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: July 02, 2010, 01:07:35 am »

I just realised my broker's name is Uzol Crazymerchant.
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

Rebirthocool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4085 on: July 02, 2010, 01:31:56 am »

decided to tunnel straight into the first cavern i could reach, set up shop around there. got about a year into it before a forgotten woodpecker with poison breath comes outta NO WHERE. its battling to the death with my one remaining axedwarf while everyone else goes bonkers.

Later a massive amount of migrants have arrived, with 1 dwarf left at the fortress, huddled in a dark corner, completely insane. the monster woodpecker seems content just hanging out in the dining room admiring his work. lil bastard.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 02:23:06 pm by Rebirthocool »

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: July 02, 2010, 02:52:25 am »

I discovered today that playing DF while listening to Deadmau5 makes everything go right. I got two successful moods one after another and finally killed off the GCS with only two swordsdorfs (no deaths), all within a single playthrough of Strobe. I'm going to save Ghosts n Stuff for when I really need help with a siege, or something.

re: Deadmau5...  I can't believe I never heard of them before.  I'm in love! <3

So far, my military (aka, the two woodcutters) keep dropping their armor and axes when they finish a kill order.  And there have been a lot of kill orders.  The edges of the map are piled high with zombie deer/fox parts.  Still wrapping my head around how to use burrows with finesse, and I think the moody carpenter is demanding a gem I don't have.

On the bright side:  Finally got through the aquifer.  It may not be pretty, but the caverns await!
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: July 02, 2010, 01:13:50 pm »

Gave up on the old fort. Too valuable (not of my doing), and no migrants to replace losses. Too many animals, so any time I opened the doors to the front, there'd be morons charging out to grab one of the animals from a cage dropped by a dead elf merchant (seven year's worth. You'd think they'd learn!) and not having enough dwarves to start a reliable military.

Genned a new world, settled on a volcano. NO ELVES this time. First step: isolating the top of the mountain by removing ramps to it, channeling away the edge, and blocking off the magma pipe for future construction. It's a very rainy map, so I've muddied up enough soil from a refilling pond to get four large plots in, and can start work on a cistern. There's hematite around, but no flux. Them's the breaks, I guess. Hopefully the goblins and kobolds will be more managable this time, so I can carve my mountain out in relative peace, trade with only the humans and dwarves, and get used to the military and burrows systems.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: July 02, 2010, 05:00:17 pm »

Another Legendary Child.

One of my legendary miners failed miserably at avoiding the water from a small unfrozen pocket. He was encased in ice. Thankfully his pick was recovered.

I have 3 picks, and 3 axes. I cannot make any more. Still no anvil, with a dead civ.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: July 02, 2010, 05:29:02 pm »

Astakath News!

I think that I'm actually not having enough chert.

All those mastabas, the smallest ones, require 55 rock blocks.

I have only 4 layers of chert (on 3x4 or something map), with clusters of bauxite and magnetite around, it kinda shrink the amount of chert I can excavate - unless I will do something like 'stripmine the whole layer'.

Also, four times I steal from elves and they still come back, with caravan full of goodies. Huh, I thought they're brigther...
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4090 on: July 02, 2010, 05:44:06 pm »

I found adamantine. A whole 3 raw pieces. Then - HFS. I could either wall myself off from the clowns or send my small military in after them.

I chose... poorly.
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: July 02, 2010, 07:24:55 pm »

Well I just started a new fort. My old one was fine, but I knew that I needed to gen a new world for more above ground Z levels so I choose to restart. Trumpetguild is progressing well. I'm building everything out of white stone rather than the usual black due to its abundance. However, I can't locate the caverns. I've found stones typically found in the caverns such as pitchblende and olivine, but the caverns themselves are nowhere to be found. It's getting frustrating since I want to get some farms up. 
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: July 02, 2010, 07:31:38 pm »

Dig deeper. If you generated a world with the default parameters, then the caverns are definitely there. Remember that you don't need caverns to have farms; simply dig an underground chamber and flash-flood it once. Or harvest plants and go with outdoor farming. That's a good way to farm without putting up with the lag induced by caverns.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: July 02, 2010, 07:51:28 pm »

Dig deeper. If you generated a world with the default parameters, then the caverns are definitely there. Remember that you don't need caverns to have farms; simply dig an underground chamber and flash-flood it once. Or harvest plants and go with outdoor farming. That's a good way to farm without putting up with the lag induced by caverns.

I prefer to farm in the caverns though since I don't want to bother with irrigation right now. I would "dig deeper" but I feel like I should have already hit the caverns and that I might have actually dug all the way through them without entering them.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4094 on: July 02, 2010, 10:56:31 pm »

The Mortal Portal, of the Frosty Artifact, has founded a new fortress, Rubgolds.  Nothing exciting to report yet.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 3842