Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1767 1768 [1769] 1770 1771 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124239 times)

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26520 on: November 19, 2012, 07:13:53 pm »

Despite building stupidity, Velvetyveils is going well.  We're currently walling off a huge section of the outdoor forest, because damn it I saw a phantom spider once and it gave me one web and I want more, but the near-constant rainfall of both normal rain and malodorous slush means that any more webs are at great risk to be rained on and destroyed, as I certainly haven't gotten any more yet.  Seriously, it's always raining either water or slush, enough to fill a dug moat sourced from some murky pools from about 4 to the full 7  of water in about a month.  So, giant outdoors area with lots of trees inside, hopefully with a ceiling over it some spiders will make a home and give me phantom spider silk.

Sea trap area slooooowly draining so I can fix a bridge issue.  Also three butchered orcas gave me 500 units of orca meat, which has all been cooked into tasty roasts.

Also I was unaware of how profitable porcelain is when you've got lots of kaolinite and a magma kiln.  I can buy out over 20000 worth of stuff with a single bin of masterwork porcelain earrings.  I've got like 50 clusters of it, time to mine ALL the kaolinite!

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26521 on: November 19, 2012, 10:54:59 pm »

I'm kicking myself right now, for making wooden blocks.. Wooden block yield is 1:1, unlike stone block yield, 1:4.  DOH!
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26522 on: November 20, 2012, 10:10:50 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #26523 on: November 20, 2012, 10:55:39 pm »

Simple.  Weaponize Cave-ins.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26524 on: November 21, 2012, 01:42:00 pm »

I gave body parts a melting point so I could use magma to slay undead.

Now the melted body parts show up as "a pool of buzzard n/a" (or similar, depending on the creature name) and block my doors open. :(
Not sure about how they're blocking the doors, as once they melt, they *should* just be a liquid contaminant, which does not block doors as far as I know. To get ride of the name, you need to add the following to each and every creature's raws(or better yet, material_template_default.txt, which you probably did to give them a melting point):
Code: [Select]
[SELECT_MATERIAL:] Put whatever material is melting after the colon. Ignore this bit if you're editing the template raw.
For example, MUSCLE if you're edting a creature's muscle material.
[STATE_NAME:LIQUID:melted flesh] or possibly melted whatever bodypart.
[STATE_NAME:GAS:boiling flesh]
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

rridgway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26525 on: November 21, 2012, 03:19:05 pm »

Deathgrip has been founded!

This fortress has one aim. Weaponise Necromancers to defeat the HFS. That, and their zombies.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26526 on: November 21, 2012, 03:32:12 pm »

Project Underworld is over half-completed in Waterspear.   :o

Running short of bricks due to underestimating the number required to floor over chasms.  The brickyard is back into full production while the limited supply on hand is being used to give priority to completing walls.

The fortress also just had its first dwarf die of old age as a master cook keeled over suddenly while running an errand in the lower galleries.  A slab carved to examine cause of death indicated that she had "died peacefully".

Recent crafted artifacts include an adamantine crossbow, an obsidian sceptre, and a bone war hammer.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26527 on: November 21, 2012, 04:11:29 pm »

Simple.  Weaponize Cave-ins.
They're stuck in narrow one-tile wide passages, and the only alternate would be to collapse the entire staircase.  Which would be a horrible waste.
No, I think instead I'll be mining to the side and getting what I can from other spots that I didn't mine out yet.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26528 on: November 21, 2012, 04:20:33 pm »

Mainly, buzzards are happening. Trying to build an above ground fort with a swarm of those around is annoying, to say the least. The next migration wave will all be made into crossbowdwarves. Let those bastards eat lead... ehm, puppy bones.

In other news, at pop 74 (with 28 children >:() the goblins are sending hordes of snatchers, but no ambushes so far. Getting ambushed with the outer wall full of holes from suspended construction could be interesting, even with 20 trained melee soldiers. I guess, I'll build a hospital and burial chambers as long as these birds bring all above ground work to a halt.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26529 on: November 21, 2012, 04:36:16 pm »

Had my first run in with some wierd thing called a Slippy, which is evidently a spider... pony.... Thing. Evidently my head merchant is not to be fucked with, as she one shotted it. It was subsequently processed into a masterwork diomedian leather vest. The world must've really gone to shit if this sort of thing flies with normal ponies.

And in a different location, I have finished the first floor of a living area for my civ's queen in hell, having built it toally from iron with a golden road leading to the breachpoint. I'm going to assemble a another pikedwarf squad and, due to the dangers of the demons, danger room them and assign them to the palace.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26530 on: November 21, 2012, 05:29:48 pm »

"Fisherdwarf cancels fish; hunting for vermin for food." 
                                ಠ̯ಠ

gentgeen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26531 on: November 21, 2012, 06:55:23 pm »

Hadn't played in a while, so after modding some members of the grouse family into my personal mod, I genned a world, found a fairly interesting-looking spot in a very small mountain range with a volcano, high cliffs, and a stream source, prepared for the journey, and found Dwarf Heaven. 11 separate peaks, the highest over 40z above the brook. The volcano extends up at least 30z above the brook. Native gold and native platinum are visible in the cliff sides. Red-tailed hawks are flying around, dive hunting their vermin prey. I'm still paused, trying to layout the greatest fortress in dorfish history.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26532 on: November 21, 2012, 06:57:17 pm »

Hadn't played in a while, so after modding some members of the grouse family into my personal mod, I genned a world, found a fairly interesting-looking spot in a very small mountain range with a volcano, high cliffs, and a stream source, prepared for the journey, and found Dwarf Heaven. 11 separate peaks, the highest over 40z above the brook. The volcano extends up at least 30z above the brook. Native gold and native platinum are visible in the cliff sides. Red-tailed hawks are flying around, dive hunting their vermin prey. I'm still paused, trying to layout the greatest fortress in dorfish history.
Puncture the volcano's side and flood the map with magma.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26533 on: November 21, 2012, 07:27:18 pm »

"Fisherdwarf cancels fish; hunting for vermin for food." 
                                ಠ̯ಠ
Because really, why have succulent pond turtle when you can have mangy rat?  :D

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26534 on: November 21, 2012, 09:27:28 pm »

Heck ya! the third summer of Metalmazes will be a good one. I got a Giant cave spider finally! Woohoo!
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.
Pages: 1 ... 1767 1768 [1769] 1770 1771 ... 3842