Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1050 1051 [1052] 1053 1054 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094110 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15765 on: August 24, 2011, 10:22:58 am »

The almost metal-free fort has iron melting problem. Six months since last arrival of a shipment of goblinite and my furnace operators are still processing the stuff.

Also, a lot of kids pop up from females nowadays. Had, like, six birth just during the winter and the year haven't ended yet.

Baron and Baroness got used to the lack of dining rooms and offices but I'm slowly making them some iron furniture.

EDIT: When I was writing this, my fort got another kid. Daaamn.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 10:25:04 am by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15766 on: August 24, 2011, 12:11:05 pm »

Daggerdepths hits the big 3-0... well not quite. The year is 530 but the fort wont be 30 years old untill 531. Still, awesome.

I got the trifecta now; minotaur, giant and ettin. Hoping to add some FB's to that list with the completion of my FB trap in the 2nd cavern. I don't have any giant spiders to web traps so I built a small chamber with an artifact floodgate as bait that I can seal with drawbridges.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15767 on: August 24, 2011, 01:05:01 pm »

I'm waiting for more sieges in Fortress Defense, but I've only had two incredibly weak waves of dark stranglers, whose bones are now being used to train a horde of Competent Marksdwarves.

I also have a 5-man squad that I'm covering in what little metal I can scrounge and training as high as possible. My commander is awesome so far, and he's mostly clad in iron and steel.

However, the marksdwarves won't train on the lovely firing ranges I built for them :( They're just standing in the meeting hall 'unable to carry out orders'. Yes, they're set to train. Yes, there's a walkable path to the targets. Yes, the schedule is set to Train (10 minimum). I don't know what to do...

Check "F" for ammunition on the squad military page

Check that they have quivers

Check that you have ammo

All of them have quivers. All of them have ammo.

Hammerwork has just experienced that rare occasion: a winter wedding!  Four years after they started courting, the following occured...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tharwen:
However, the marksdwarves won't train on the lovely firing ranges I built for them :( They're just standing in the meeting hall 'unable to carry out orders'. Yes, they're set to train. Yes, there's a walkable path to the targets. Yes, the schedule is set to Train (10 minimum). I don't know what to do...

Try setting your minimum lower.  At 10 minimum, if you don't have 10 dwarves in the squad and all of them ready to train (not taking breaks or eating or whatever), all of them will do absolutely nothing.  I usually set my min at 2 lower than the actual number of dwarves I have in the squad so one or two can go off and take care of needs at a time.

I think that must be it. I've given the squad 4 separate 3-dorf training orders, and they seem to be doing them just fine. One of them must have been doing something else during the 10-dorf one.
[Signature]

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15768 on: August 24, 2011, 01:17:56 pm »

I deliberately killed my fortress. I set a burrow underneath a section of earth I channeled out and dug out all under the hunk of earth but one tile. I assigned a burrow underneath it and dug that tile out. Everyone under the ceiling died. I had my two remaining miners (I took all 7 as miners) to dig out an area. I then assigned them to another burrow under THAT chunk of earth. I then dug out the supporting pillar of dirt holding it up. They died. I lost. Deliberately.

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15769 on: August 24, 2011, 01:38:10 pm »

My mason just gave birth to a baby boy..."His very long sideburns are neatly combed. His very long mustache is neatly combed. His very long beard is arranged in double braids [...] He was born today, which makes him very young indeed".

Dwarven babies are born with facial hair?!

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15770 on: August 24, 2011, 01:43:52 pm »

And moments later my miner discovered the third cavern, MAGMA, and raw adamantine!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #15771 on: August 24, 2011, 01:44:05 pm »

My mason just gave birth to a baby boy..."His very long sideburns are neatly combed. His very long mustache is neatly combed. His very long beard is arranged in double braids [...] He was born today, which makes him very young indeed".

Dwarven babies are born with facial hair?!

He is a dwarf. What were you thinking? :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #15772 on: August 24, 2011, 01:47:32 pm »

my lightning dwarves are dumping most of layer's worth of stone, in preparation for a mass storage dump. even with a [SPEED:0] tag, this is taking forever. especially since I only have 12 total dwarves in this new modtest fortress...
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15773 on: August 24, 2011, 01:58:38 pm »

I hate my mayor and his stupid mandates! That's why I left a little surprise for him in his room... His new pet Giant Rat isn't quite... Tame.

EDIT: JACKPOT!!!! Elves are bringing a bunch of animals, including a grizzly bear and vultures. Not as nice as giant bats, but good enough for my purposes.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 02:02:09 pm by UristMcDonald »

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15774 on: August 24, 2011, 02:48:05 pm »

AUGH. Had a cave-in. Both my miners grievously injured. After aaaages of medical work, one died of infection and the other, also infected, went from nothing to faint, to pale, back to faint, woke up and got back to work. I assigned a new miner who was making good progress practising in clay (digging out tree farms).

GAME CRASH.

Also lost a preeetty badass artifact in the crash. From a fey mood bumping a great siege engineer/novice mechanic to legendary mechanic.

Sefolthan Merranglorsith, a bituminous coal mechanisms. Weighed 26, worth 34800. encrusted with Bituminous coal, decorated with tower cap, encircled with bands of green glass on the item is an image of Sigun Renownedwhip the Dwarf and Dwarves in bituminous coal. Sigun Renownedwhip is surrounded by the dwarves. The image relates to the ascension of Sigun Renowned to the position of queen of the Torches of Fighting in 1. On the item is an image of a panda in bituminous coal. On the item is an image of three oysters in clear garnet.

Was a lot of hassle getting him the damn glass and wood too. (wood had to be cut in the cavern 59 levels and half a maze below.)

I even had a stray war gorlak!
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15775 on: August 24, 2011, 03:09:16 pm »

I just had a Forgotten Beast named Vutu Dungsweat the Phlegm of Belches...

How unfortunate.

EDIT: Fuck. Deadly dust. Time to start a new fortress!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 03:26:18 pm by Tharwen »
[Signature]

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15776 on: August 24, 2011, 05:08:53 pm »

HAHAHA FUCK YOU MONKEYS.

A group of Rhesus Macaques appeared and I noticed that when my Cook shot one while he was hunting (only hunting kill before that shot was a wolf btw. :P That despite multiple groundhogs and turkeys being somewhat more wooden than before). I quickly assigned some idler as Militia Commander and told him to grab a training spear and a wooden shield which I had made in case the badgers get too close again. 
  He grabbed them in no time and stood at the ready. A macaque tried to take another route but I blocked it with a quick slamming of three floodgates. The macaques (one dead already due to the hunter, I think) had to pass by the militia commander and he nailed all four of them. :D Even the last one which was trying to run off with an enormous wooden corkscrew intended for a pumping adventure was smacked and then stabbed in the brain; it didn't leave thought it could have. Hahaha, victory! 
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #15777 on: August 24, 2011, 07:09:43 pm »

My first fort in over a year, and I've forgotten how to do most basic things. Or it was changed (military) since I last played.

Got a hole dug to store my supplies in case it rains so my dwarves don't melt. Nice little area, valley with a river running through it, I dug in in the SW hillside where there are tons of trees. Go down to the valley bottom and start digging a stairwell to serve as the main entrance to the fort. Enter a dozen badgers.

Now my fort entrance is the shelter of a clan of badgers, and my miner is short a hand. I also have no hospital to speak of, but that's ok, I hated that miner anyway. Gotta figure out the new(ish) military screen quick.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15778 on: August 24, 2011, 08:41:17 pm »

That was Fun!
I'm down to 42 dwarves. That's about 70 deaths in less than 2 months, just because I thought, some "deadly dust" would be no match for my military. The beast took over 30 and the rest tantrumed or went mad afterwards. Now, the situation is stable again. I've lost many important dwarves (1 legendary farmer, the manager/butcher and the whole metalworking industry), but life goes on in "Helpmerchants". Ironically, I won't be helping any merchants this year. The whole fort is closed up from the outside world until everything is 100% back to normal. There are about 50 goblins (and probably 50 more sneaky elves) outside the gate... good luck to any merchants or migrants, but this gate doesn't open until next winter. The imaginary king ordered 1 year of total quarantine until anybody can enter the fort. To be honest, I really don't want to let those invaders in, as the military currently consists of 6 recruits, 2 cripples, eh, I mean veterans and 2 marksdwarves who won't fire at anything but love beating stuff with their wooden crossbows.

On the positive side: Nobody cares about anything anymore. Dwarves who survive this kind of horror, will survive anything. The whole sky could come down and these guys would just shrug and say "we've seen worse..."
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15779 on: August 24, 2011, 10:32:16 pm »

Doing my best to reach the "encrust event horizon".

47k dorfbucks for the first one, 103k dorfbucks for the second one.

Progress!
Pages: 1 ... 1050 1051 [1052] 1053 1054 ... 3842