Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1051 1052 [1053] 1054 1055 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6093673 times)

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15780 on: August 24, 2011, 11:53:26 pm »

Cyclops came and crashed the party.  Sent out the militia.  Only one responds, and he's only dabbling in his weapon skill.  I promptly order a coffin built for the poor sap.  Luckily for him, though, a puppy distracted the cyclops long enough for the soldier to kill it.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15781 on: August 24, 2011, 11:55:13 pm »

Another quiet period in Tower Divine.  Used the opportunity for a wood-cutting expedition outside the access tunnels.  Brought in about 150 logs without any problems and told the visiting elves that a "tornado" had escaped from the cavern and knocked the trees down - we were just cleaning up!

Keep roofing proceeds as the masons get to it.  I'm trying to decide whether the retractable roof over the swimming pond is going to be made of green glass or lead.  There are advocates for both options.  The miners are digging out a pump stack shaft along a path I found that stays clear of all three caverns.  From there I hope to get magma up to the surface for playing with.  And will use a parallel shaft to send water down to make obsidian.  The glass makers are making tubes and corkscrews for the pumps while the rest of the smelter level is busy making armor and metal bars.

And the militia trains and squads occasionally get upgraded to better armor as it accumulates.  The Blue and White Towers have been turned into barracks for training while the marksdwarves have a half dozen archery ranges to practice in.  And with all the wood the crafts dwarves are finally starting to build up a reserve supply of wood and bone bolts for training use.

Goblinite reserves are out.  I expected a much more active goblin civilization given there were no humans and being located closer than the elves.  Only two small sieges so far, and not that many ambush parties either.  So back to trapping the FBs in the caverns.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15782 on: August 24, 2011, 11:55:59 pm »

My mason just gave birth to a baby boy..."His very long sideburns are neatly combed. His very long mustache is neatly combed. His very long beard is arranged in double braids [...] He was born today, which makes him very young indeed".

Dwarven babies are born with facial hair?!

He is a dwarf. What were you thinking? :P

I love how they are born with their hair braided, combed and neatened. It's like a dwarven placenta comes complete with an inbuilt barbershop function.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15783 on: August 25, 2011, 12:10:13 am »

Just as I was about to pull the lever that would release a blind cave ogre into the mayor's room to deal with the fifth miner to be jailed, some other guy got reelected. Darn!

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15784 on: August 25, 2011, 06:37:13 am »

Got back in the game after yesterday's crash. Both miners still alive and still in hospital. Started production of plaster and soap earlier now, maybe it'll help.

In the meantime I had sent woodcutters off to cut wood in the caverns, to provide me with logs for ash, buckets and beds and other hospitally stuff.

A cave crocodile thought it would be funny to steal some lower legs. I disagreed and so did the woodcutter. Sadly, the reptillian bastard paid no heed and tore them off anyway. Got a few scratches from the bronze halberd for its' trouble. I sent my 7-strong marksdwarf squad to kill it which they duly did.

Because I hadn't yet made a proper burial hall and my miners were both incapacitated I decided to clear out the woodcutters' bedroom and to place his coffin in it. His body is being retrieved.

Due to the crash I lost my legendary mechanic and the bituminous coal mechanisms he made. This time the mood was a possession which fell on my CMD WHILE HE WAS BUSY MENDING MY MINERS. He was a novice mason, like microcline, querns and flame devils. I half-hoped that he'd make a microcline statue of a flame devil, but fully expected a microcline quern.

Turns out it was neither. He made a galena quern. Oltudinir, Stalkerdeclined. Weighs 225, is worth 51600. Encrusted with gypsum, encircled with bands of steel and galena. menaces with spikes of gypsum. On the item is an image of a flame devil in sheep wool. The wool was red so that's apt for a flame devil. :P
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15785 on: August 25, 2011, 06:58:35 am »

Lost two soldiers to a goblin thief. Both were well trained, and strong. A maceman and a recruit who was using a sword- they both were very lightly injured. The recruit chopped the goblin's leg off, the maceman bashed the other leg into a pulpy mess, and then the goblin stabbed them both in the feet, severing motor and sensory nerves, then promptly died of blood loss. Both are now in our makeshift hospital being cleaned up awaiting sutures, though both have infections. Already, one year into Zalisiden we have TWO cripples.

dr_random

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15786 on: August 25, 2011, 07:32:32 am »

Do you remember that Bronze Colossus annoying you? Did you break its legs repeatedly bolt by bolt? Well, I got him.
Ordered the mass pitting area. Cave-in. Suspended the whole thing. Hauled the colossus to the makeshift mass pit. Tended more important business.
I finally continued the project (right down for the meeting hall, it shall be the arena for the colossus beating down all the gobbos). Obviously I was too lazy to properly set the designations, forgot about the holes I had picked already into the 1st floor. Another cave-in, colossus cage drops down. 2 legendary Miners down, colossus dead, project totally wrecked.
That colossus cost me 3 fine marksmen who ran out to shower the thing not heeding the upright spears McLevverpuller was happily attending to. Things got even worse, though. Goblin overflow: Ran out of refuse area and still no bones. Now THAT is REALLY annoying.

Quantumtroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15787 on: August 25, 2011, 08:12:53 am »

Urist McLookout:  "Uh, sir, we've spotted a dragon to the south.  Orders?"
Livost McMilitiaCaptain: "A dragon?  Err, we're still really only prepared for goblin raids.  We have no crossbow ammo to speak of.  This thing is going to burn us all!"
Obok McManager: "Well, we've got about 50 obsidian swords and a dozen or so copper shields... just hand them out and swarm it.  The 30-some dwarves that survive will be thankful for the sacrifice, I'm sure."
Logem McMayor: "Shut up Obok.  We're not sending half our population on a suicide mission. One blast of dragon-fire could wipe 'em all out, and then what?  No, we're going to try to drown it."
Livost McMilitiaCaptain: "Drown it, sir?"
Logem McMayor: "Our magma-trapped tunnel can't burn the dragon like it does goblins, obviously, but we opted for the optional sprinkler s.."
Obok McManager: "A WASTE of colony resources, as I have always said. It is expensive and sl.."
Logem McMayor: "Shut up Obok.  Livost, lock down the fortress. No dwarves outside and all hard blockades up, but leave the magma tunnel open. Obok will go and welcome our scaly friend with a stone sword in hand, in case it manages to breathe water as well as fire."

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15788 on: August 25, 2011, 08:20:44 am »

Quantumtroll, I'm interested to hear if that works out! :P

Anyway, my new fortress, (last one died out, unsurprisingly) Lisidoddom is doing rather better than I expected! We have a pretty cool spot, built into the side of a volcanic mountain range, with plenty of resources, and I've got a good few dwarves who do their work and keep their mouths shut, even when their wading through decomposing yak-bits. Yes, I forgot the pasture again. Silly me.
Bunch of industries are set up, and my marksdwarves seem to be doing a good job of taking down critters with their wooden bolts. :) I pretty much assigned everyone with combat experience to hunting.
Overall, I think this fortress is going to last much longer than my others! [/famouslastwords]
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Quantumtroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15789 on: August 25, 2011, 10:54:32 am »

Urist McLookout: "Reporting back from the defensive tunnel, sir!  Dragonfire destroyed the drain and the dragon is standing in a muddy puddle."

Logem McMayor: "And?  What is it doing?"

Urist McLookout: "It's just standing there, sir. It doesn't seem to be going anywhere.  Maybe it likes the tunnel?"

Logem McMayor: "Alright, then let's get some masons over there and wall the bastard in, if it likes it so much. Then the only exit is the drain to Cavern 1, which we're not using anyway. Problem solved."

Urist McLookout: "Right sir, right away!"

... But honestly, drowning a dragon would be really cool.  I have another drownable tunnel (without a drain), but to use it I'd be giving the dragon a chance to enter my fortress proper.  Better keep it alive and safe until I can use it for something.  Where's a dungeon master when you need one??

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15790 on: August 25, 2011, 10:57:36 am »

...Oh, you have got to be ****ing kidding me!
My skilled cook, who'd been pumping out dem tasty masterwork meals, gets possessed by fey spirits, takes over a craftsdwarfs shop, and starts demanding body parts. I think, uh oh, wait, we already have tonnes of bodyparts...

He has no friends, but according to those who've spoken to him, Limul Tansakzul has an unhealthy obsession with oyster shells. :'( No caravan-buying masterwork roasts for me, then!

EDIT: Well, time for a crazy plan which will most likely fail and end up with all my dwarves dying messily! :D

Tomorrow, I'm going to round up all my ace hunters into a squad and send 'em out to shoot up the giant panda and eagle that are wandering around. Are these bodyparts exotic enough for ya, damnit?!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 11:16:34 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15791 on: August 25, 2011, 11:38:11 am »

...Oh, you have got to be ****ing kidding me!
My skilled cook, who'd been pumping out dem tasty masterwork meals, gets possessed by fey spirits, takes over a craftsdwarfs shop, and starts demanding body parts. I think, uh oh, wait, we already have tonnes of bodyparts...

'body parts' is code for 'bones'.

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15792 on: August 25, 2011, 12:00:08 pm »

Pretty eventful second year for this Genesis mod fort.  First the Cyclops mentioned earlier, and now a Frost Wyrm.  It went down easily enough to my 3 dwarf militia.

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15793 on: August 25, 2011, 12:41:50 pm »

Now a Centaur invasion.  Killed a few caravan guards, but once they set off my Croc Bomb, they were as good as dead.  Note to self:  Move trade depot indoors.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15794 on: August 25, 2011, 01:28:54 pm »

Pickkings is going fairly well. One migrant had skills in suturing AND butchery. With skills in both of those, I'm NOT making him a doctor.

I had a troll waltz through the cavern recently and my stone digger is On Break. Later, he gets a drink and I expect him to get back to work on the wall of fortifications I ordered him to construct. You know what he did once he got done with his bloody drink? 'On Break'. DAMMIT YOU HAIRY LITTLE DRUNK!!!!! I shout at my monitor, "There's a troll wandering around these caves and you're on break?!? If you get unhappy thoughts about being attacked and killed, just remember that it's not my fault that you thought that going on break is more important than setting defenses up". If he doesn't get back to work on those bloody fortifications, I'm going to magma him. Which is impossible because I haven't found any magma yet.

My Talented Gem Cutter has turned emergency metalworker until I get a real one in another immigrant wave. Until then, it's crude copper spears for everyone.
Pages: 1 ... 1051 1052 [1053] 1054 1055 ... 3842