Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 860 861 [862] 863 864 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5978520 times)

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #12915 on: April 26, 2011, 01:59:06 am »

Out of curiosity (and wondering why I'd dug 40 z-levels down without hitting caverns) I used reveal. Yeaaaaah, something's really off about this map- there *are* no caverns until the magma starts, for one thing, and then it's a really weird cavern with regular above-ground grass (no specific type, just "Grass") and patches of obsidian and the magma sea draining into itself (how this didn't cause FPS issues before, I don't know.) Hell doesn't have any open plains, just semi-molten rock and glowing pits all the way down.

I may have made a mistake in the world gen parameters somewhere.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #12916 on: April 26, 2011, 08:18:43 am »

burnin' goblins to death... as usual...
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

tilly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12917 on: April 26, 2011, 08:33:06 am »

My fort is currently attending a party. As a result 100 tiles now have a pile of clothes. Stripping dwaves, you say? Yes... Stripping dwarves, it beith an orgy of mass proportions.:)

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12918 on: April 26, 2011, 01:03:42 pm »

My zombie mod fort is crawling along attempting to finish ou outer wall so those dirty alligators and scavengers. And my expedition leader destroyed a bridge across a river. While he was on it.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12919 on: April 26, 2011, 01:54:32 pm »

Abandoned the automatic obsidianizer due to plumbing issues. Then that fort got overrun by goblins since my main defense had been abandoned.

In the new fort... Electrum. Electrum EVERYWHERE.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Elanorea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12920 on: April 26, 2011, 02:10:43 pm »

One of the children got battered by a ghost. He was mauled pretty badly - an arm torn off and a damaged lung - so I thought he'd be a goner. However, he simply trailed blood for a while, then went to the dining room and threw a party. He appears to be completely fine now, except for the missing arm of course.

Andal

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning! Fourth wall breached!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12921 on: April 26, 2011, 02:12:44 pm »

Working on producing the green glass blocks necessary to finish paving over the caldera of Labouredcontrolled's -1 z-level volcano, and completed the green glass pyramid (complete with copper capstone) that presides over the 3x3 opening in the center I am leaving. My duke is celebrating our 10-year anniversary by mandating some commemorative coins. Adding the finishing touches to the outdoor tomb/garden/grove for my paraplegic legendary woodcutter. Business is booming!
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12922 on: April 26, 2011, 02:19:47 pm »

Three artifacts created in my new fort (about a year and a half old so far) already:

Bumaliton Rinulkanzud, Worryhall the Intense Convent, a green glass bracelet
Udos Ros, the Man of Deciding, a larch amulet
iltangzim, Forkedcrested, a willow amulet

And I had to pretty much bend myself over backwards to keep the first and second creators alive and sane, providing their materials right off the bat. Luckily the first one was while the trade caravan was here, and I managed to buy some of the stuff I needed for it (he wanted a few raw green glass and metal bars.)

And to add insult to injury, at least two of those were possessions. I can't remember about the third one. -_-

Edit: A fourth one, before the second dwarven caravan has even arrived. Othortislam Gethanriz, a yak bone piccolo. Oooh, ah. And yes, it was a possession! Of course!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 03:03:05 pm by Stormfeather »

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12923 on: April 26, 2011, 04:33:16 pm »

I got wiped out by a couple of ambushes, and reclaimed. All the goblins were friendly, for some reason, and I started work on rebuild the stockpiles and trying to connect the bridge that had failed to raise during the original ambush. Before I could finish this, however, a load of skeletal camels came along. They spent about 5 minutes (real time) kicking my only soldier to death, before moving on to the rest of the fort. They killed everyone except my expedition leader, who was left paralysed and dying in a room deep in the fortress. I left the game running to see if any migrants would turn up to save the day.

Eventually, some migrants arrived, and literally a second later my last original dorf died of thirst.

Now I have to find a way of fighting off the skeletal vultures that arrived after them so they can connect that bloody lever >:(
[Signature]

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12924 on: April 26, 2011, 05:04:55 pm »

The volcano fortress is going smoothly. No problems besides the constant crashing, and a water shortage issue.
I've started digging/constructing a tower for the workshops. Bedrooms need designated. The fact that the first stone layer contains mountains of hematite is a blessing, but I still haven't gone more than 3 levels beneath the lowest exterior ground level, so I haven't discovered the flux. My money's on it being marble though. I nearly always find marble and gabbro together, and I have gabbro. I wonder if I have kimberlite anywhere...
My focus right now is on ensuring I have enough food and drink stocked to survive the coming hordes of migrants. They've dipped to zero twice now. I should have brought more with me originally. An expedition into the caverns should provide some useful crops as I have only vanilla plants for the first time in a VERY long time, and not because I didn't install my mod files.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12925 on: April 26, 2011, 05:29:56 pm »

Winter has come to Bridgegate.

This has resulted in the water freezing, including the ocean, creating an ice bridge to the land of the dead (the undead haven't noticed or don't care). Ocean waves don't seem to freeze, which is kinda wierd.

I managed to dig out a kobold's remains from the bottom of a lake.
There was a massive freeze during mid-winter when the ocean thawed.
A panda seems to have ventured out onto the ice before the melt and now lives at the bottom of the sea. Will it ever drown?

Oh god, a werewolf is in my pasture!
Spoiler: combat log (click to show/hide)
My military was too slow, the werewolf was dead before they got there.
Why is there so much biting at Bridgegate, and why do werewolves die so easily?

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12926 on: April 26, 2011, 05:33:36 pm »

Beware the battle cattle.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12927 on: April 26, 2011, 10:37:37 pm »

After embarking on a volcano, I immediately began dreaming up ways to use the magma at my disposal. Frist things first, a precaution in case the fortress is ever in serious case of destruction: A lever that will flood the fortress with magma, taking away from the goblins all the spoils that they fought and died for. The construction would proceed simple enough: dig the tunnel above the fortress, build the magmasafe floodgate, with magmasafe mechanisms connecting it to the lever, then open the floodgate, dig out the last tile to the magma, and close the floodgate behind the fleeing miner with inches to spare. With fingers crossed, I designated the tile for mining, and as soon as the miner reached the tile, desisnated the switch to be pulled. He dug out the tile, dashed from the approaching river of molten death, and...

He got out perfectly safely, without a drop of magma getting out behind him.

Well, that was unexpected.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #12928 on: April 27, 2011, 02:10:20 am »

I just had the most heartwarming moment I've seen in this game.

See, when I first broke the caverns, one of my starting seven got killed by a troll. Badass unarmed wax worker and a migrant swordsdwarf took care of it (this same wax worker, before I even added her to the military, killed a helmet snake by throwing it into a wall,) life went on.

Just now, I was loading up the trade depot and noticed that one of the crafts was a figurine of the dead dwarf.

"This is a figurine of 'Prima' Blazeinked and butterflies in phyllite by Oddom Urmimsigun. 'Prima' Blazeinked is surrounded by the butterflies."
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 11:14:57 am by InsanityPrelude »
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12929 on: April 27, 2011, 04:35:37 am »

"This is a figurine of 'Prima' Urdumsigath and butterflies in andesite by Oddom somethingorother. 'Prima' Urdumsigath is surrounded by the butterflies."
RNG hates me.

All I got are statues of dwarves surrounded by barrels, and mussels.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 
Pages: 1 ... 860 861 [862] 863 864 ... 3839