Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 859 860 [861] 862 863 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5978642 times)

Urk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #12900 on: April 25, 2011, 03:14:07 am »

I got huge fps drop from 100 to around 30  :(

I think it may be related to one nasty forgotten beast which secreted some stuff on all underground water areas.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
All that white stuff is forgotten beast extract, every other lake and underground river is also full if it  ???

I have tried emptying this one lake because I hope that extract may evaporate if its not under water, I have not had success though. (There is also some blood because of anti-fb military intervention)

My dwarfs are also bathing in waters taken from extract infected water sources and giving it to patients at hospital. Some soldiers which touched that nasty thing got strange fever, but they quickly healed and seem to be fine now.

Is there any way to get rid of that extract?

-edit-

Oh... huh, I left dwarven fortress running while writing here, did I mention that I drained that lake to hfs... it seems that i pissed off something - my population had suddenly gone from 80 to 12  :o

...and siege just come  :o

Anyway the extract in lake seems to reacting somehow when its not under water anymore, it has changed color from white to yellow.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There is all kinds of FUN things running around in my fortress, so I may not be able to experiment with that extract much anymore.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 03:32:02 am by Urk »

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12901 on: April 25, 2011, 03:31:36 am »

Is there any way to get rid of that extract?

dfcleanmap

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12902 on: April 25, 2011, 04:41:02 am »

The expedition leader started off biting the werewolf's tail to hold it in place while the manager lined up a shot with his crossbow to the werewolf's head. I thought werewolves were scary.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12903 on: April 25, 2011, 04:42:58 am »

Goblins sieged me.
Eh, they can stay outside. I have a plump helmet farm inside and tons of meat.
And a well.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12904 on: April 25, 2011, 09:44:50 am »

lol...shite -.-;;

merchants from the mountain homes showed up...and when they got halfway to my entrance...

PINCER ATTACK FROM THE GOBLINS!!!

a group of about 10 mace goblins and one xbow goblin showed up to the right of my entrance on jabberer's, a group of 10 trolls showed up to the left of my entrance, and 10 swordsgoblins with a hammer lord showed up from the bottom, unfortunately, the merchants did not make it -.-;; working on getting them engravings....there's 3 blank engrave memorials, so im assuming those are for the merchants that died...poor, poor merchants...but on the bright side, FREE STUFF! lol

luckily, the outpost liason was faster then the merchants, and got into my fort, and now im a barony...on my third year lol

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12905 on: April 25, 2011, 02:17:50 pm »

I like this place. a tight, small volcanic dome laced with hematite and tetrahedrite. There's supposed to be some more metals deeper underground, as well as some source of flux. I'm going to carve my fortress straight out of the volcanic dome. The only problems? Giant badgers and DF continues to crash, as is expected by now.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12906 on: April 25, 2011, 02:34:38 pm »

Some migrant child just turned 12 and had his dwarfmitzvah. Then he was immediately elected Mayor.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #12907 on: April 25, 2011, 04:17:20 pm »

Just got attacked by an unforeseen forgotten beast. Just a scaly slug, but still, my militia was like 5 ill-trained dorfs in total. It buttknapped most of them, and even a miner or two. The third miner finally decided to mine out its brain. Lost 5 dorfs so far, but i reckon some infections will take place as well.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12908 on: April 25, 2011, 04:30:36 pm »

Goblins finally noticed after 8 years that yes, there was a big fortress in their neighbourhood.
So, it's been 2 years they're visiting me every 6 months or so.
Gotta say, I appreciate their newfound dedication. I even let the first squad run away mostly unscathed once they realize they invaded the wrong fort! I'm a good sport. Besides, their demonic overlords will punish them much more harshly if they go back home.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12909 on: April 25, 2011, 05:34:36 pm »

No. The giant badgers are not a problem, they are a resource I have yet to tap into.
I'm going to store them in a chamber around my depot/battleground, where they will be unleashed on besieging forces that enter. After the badgers finish eating/are dead they will be returned to their chamber via cage/my military will be released to deal with the horribly mangled cripples.
Lava moats are also being employed.
Now I just need to set up cage traps in such a way as to permit my dwarves to actually catch them without the entire fortress being destroyed.
O hey, I didn't even notice I had garnierite in the gabbro layer!
And badgermen! One of them just got in a fight with my war pigs and dodged into the volcano. He stopped being enraged after realizing he was 20 z-levels under the rim of the magma. :o
I promptly had one of the pig sows thrown in after him because she had bad genes and I wanted to know where it would end up. She discovered 3 different valuable metal veins. The badger man had already burned to death by that point. She drowned with only her tail damaged, somehow....
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 05:48:43 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #12910 on: April 25, 2011, 06:33:18 pm »

I have save scummed thrice in my current fort Cerollum (lensclouds). First was when a giant cave spider attacked my migrant hunter who had arrived only minutes before hand. I forbid his stuff but there was apparently already some dwarves on the way to loot his belongings. I lost four dwarves that day before my military commander was able to slaughter the beast and destroy any hope at a silk industry. I only had 17 at the time so losing four would have put me back a bit. Second was when, after the first save scum, a FB attacked with dust. It managed to get a few dwarves and even blew one across a pit leading 30+ z-levels down into the second cavern level. Within a few minutes all who were infected die due to massive blood loss.
Third was when all my picks were lost while digging a shaft that would house my water pressure trap I was working on.
This is better than my last fort that had 120+ ish dwarves and a kick arse military that killed everything. No FUN there.
I love DF :P
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12911 on: April 25, 2011, 09:00:46 pm »

A small hole in the caverns has killed at least a dozen dwarves, causing a tantrum spiral. All other threats are minimal, due to the danger room turning any threat the game can throw at me from notoriously relentless to laughably pathetic. I just killed an entire seige without a single military loss, not counting the baby carried into battle. Insanely, it was a team of crossbow goblins. You should have seen the amount of arrows the dwarves dodged. Apparently being jabbed with sticks for a couple minutes turns you into a master of Gun Kata.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #12912 on: April 26, 2011, 12:45:07 am »

I tried to embark on a nice-looking site, intrigued by the presence of "very high cliffs" on the embark screen where there probably shouldn't have been (swamp, though at the base of a mountain.)

The game froze so hard the MP3 I had playing started skipping.

I tried another nearby site without the extreme cliffs, and there's a cotton candy spire piercing the surface up to a couple z-levels above ground. Not sure how that happened, because nothing's coming up in the error log- no duplicate raws- and the only other sign of weirdness I've found is generic "stone" being available as a powder in the embark screen, which I suspect is from the expanded glazes mod.

However it happened, I think this fort will be entertaining.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12913 on: April 26, 2011, 12:53:47 am »

The other day a big siege arrived at my fortress. Through management, I was able to capture a bunch of the invaders in a narrow, trap-lined hallway, then push the rest of them out with my military. Relaxing, I lower all my drawbridges, and a human caravan arrives. Suddenly, a vile force of darkness arives. What? Only a month passed between the two sieges, and the human caravan barely had time to get into the depot before the gate was closed, and I had to wall off the aforementioned trap hall. This siege is even bigger than the last, and includes the Afflicted Spider's war leader, so I dig in for the long haul. I know my military can crush any one of their three groups, but the trick is doing it. I come up with a plan to collapse a ceiling on the head of the war leader by pitting some animals into a previously excavated cave that did not connect to the main fort, waiting for them to attack the animals as goblins are wont to do, then using a triggered support to collapse onto the last two tiles connecting the ceiling to the mountain, thus collapsing the ceiling onto the goblins.

All this with an FPS of about 25. It took me a couple hours to figure out what to do and how to cause a collapse from above and inside, and by the time I had finished the human merchants had gone mad (no wonder dwarves are so weird, humans can only stay in these mines for so long before mental illness sets in) and literally moments after the support was connected to a lever the siege was lifted.

Sigh. Well, at least they left behind one of their mace lords in my cage traps. Stupid goblins.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12914 on: April 26, 2011, 01:08:40 am »

In my new goblin tower, I found some badger men coming in a conga line.
So who's gonna win, badger men or 7 goblins and 20 trolls?

Oh god.
I just got an engraving of an elf killing a roc.
Sure, it's epic and all, but an ELF?
Why not the other way around?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 01:39:55 am by jaxy15 »
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.
Pages: 1 ... 859 860 [861] 862 863 ... 3839