Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Do Supersonic Minecarts still work?  (Read 2467 times)

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
Do Supersonic Minecarts still work?
« on: May 22, 2015, 03:38:48 pm »

Is the collision effect used in this thread ( http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=137557.0 ) still in effect as of 40.24? I'm trying to get it to work but it may be entirely my own incompetence. Also, What kind of speedups can be achieved?

EDIT:
I ask because I'm trying to make a shotgun without impulse ramps that fires 1 z-level above the machinery and is as compact as possible.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 03:58:27 pm by Insert_Gnome_Here »
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do Supersonic Minecarts still work?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 04:39:42 pm »

supersonic minecarts...fucking dwarven engineering. everybody else is stuck in middle ages and we are making railguns.

eat shit rest of the world.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 01:31:22 am »

On the other hand, everyone else is living in nice hamlets and trees and stuff and my dwarves are working in the freezing, godforsaken middle of nowhere just to test out a weapon they are unlikely ever to fire in anger.
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 03:11:24 am »

To the best of my knowledge (only did a basic roll call for it in the mid-.40 releases), it still works. However, it's a pretty fiddly thing to do, since it's exclusive to frontal collisions and has very exacting conditions (mass ratio, momentum ratio, build order of the minecarts, synchronised release). And since it simply conserves momentum, you can get the same punch by accelerating the heaviest cart you can get your fingers on to maximum ramp speed and hurl that at your foes. Even better, since load fully factors into momentum, you can load your *gold minecart* with native gold boulders and achieve enough momentum to send a cave dragon flying and get five extremely heavy high-speed projectiles as added damage dealers if you trigger the shotgun effect.

For easiest application, throw your cart into a three-ramp accelerator coil:
Code: [Select]
###     ###
#╔╗     #╔╗
#▲║     #╗║
#▲║     #╗║
#▲║     #╗║
#╚╝#    #╚╝#
#+      #+

▲ - ramps with track connections SW, "lean on" wall to the west, accelerate south
# - walls
+ - release door

The cart is pushed into the circuit or dropped onto one of the ramps via hatch or grate (never bridge! bridges throw carts around somewhat randomly), accelerates to max. ramp speed in about 400 steps and then stays at that speed forever. The actual activation of this coil-gun consists merely of opening the door, either by mechanism or by hapless intruder.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 03:38:49 am »

I consider impulse ramps a bit exploity, and am trying to make a shotgun without them.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 04:07:26 am »

I consider impulse ramps a bit exploity, and am trying to make a shotgun without them.

Enjoy your madness :/ It requires colossal amounts of energy to build enough rollers to keep the carts returning at a decent enough speed to a high enough position to get a high enough velocity to actually kill shit with water. I think 22 ramps gets you to maximum velocity. That means 22 z-levels you have to pull the cart up each time you fire. IDK maybe it could work if you utilised a... DAMMIT NOW I HAVE TO GO MAKE AN UNEXPLOITY MINECART WATER CANNON.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 12:26:20 pm »

That's why I'm trying to harness the conservation of momentum for the good of all dwarfkind. (except the test subjects, and random dwarves who stood in the way)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 01:14:10 pm »

By that measure, isn't breaking the sound barrier through simply rolling a cart down a hill doing completely heinous things to the rational laws of physics?

I mean, if you're using rollers, you're using power, which means you're using dwarven perpetual motion machines, or possibly windmills that are capable of generating a continuous stream of power  even when built in a ditch with no access to moving air.  And levers work by quantum mechanism entanglement. ALL dwarven machines run on BS.

There is extremely little use for "legitimate" cart usage.  Minecarts were made for "exploits".  Considering how Toady has been changing the rules of many things like atom-smashers to only work on smaller creatures instead of not working at all, I think most of these "exploits" are considered fair by Toady, at least.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 04:56:36 pm »

You can't break the sound barrier by rolling a cart down a hill in-game, there is a limit at which resistances overcome the velocity increase from falling.
Plus, avoiding impulse ramps makes my plan a bit more interesting to implement.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 05:29:18 pm »

Soon enough the sound barrier will be modeled in DF and we will kill goblins with supersonic sound bursts.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 06:27:16 pm »

Soon enough the sound barrier will be modeled in DF and we will kill goblins with supersonic sound bursts.
Supercharged ramp, deaf dwarf, make him airborne... First the rails, then the skies - the Urist Air Force. It would be somewhat amusing as an adventurer to crash an aluminium minecart traveling beyond the speed barrier across entire continents, past highly confused bogeymen not actually sure if they just saw an adventurer.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 10:53:08 pm »

You can't break the sound barrier by rolling a cart down a hill in-game, there is a limit at which resistances overcome the velocity increase from falling.
Plus, avoiding impulse ramps makes my plan a bit more interesting to implement.

I know that you can't achieve supersonic speeds without collision exploits, but my point is that the sheer lack of modeling of many of the real-world physics of smashing a thin wooden box with another box travelling at hundreds of miles per hour still brutally violates physics in unspeakable ways. 

To be honest, I consider the bluemetal more cheaty than impulse ramps.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Devin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 07:50:10 am »

supersonic minecarts...fucking dwarven engineering. everybody else is stuck in middle ages and we are making railguns.

eat shit rest of the world.

The word 'Railgun' having never been applied quite so literally before.

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 02:14:54 am »

Can't you just get a dwarf to guide the minecart back up to the top of the ramp again? Why the need for all the machinery?
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 09:58:18 am »

Can't you just get a dwarf to guide the minecart back up to the top of the ramp again? Why the need for all the machinery?

What are you, some kind of Elf?
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!
Pages: [1] 2