Hell
- 3 (14.3%)
Other? Post in thread
- 1 (4.8%)
I'm GM and want to see the results.
- 4 (19%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 534

Author Topic: Eclipse Heights School for the Supernatural OOC -- Hextuple Incendiary Chainsaws  (Read 432654 times)

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile

Pfft, fuck if I care about real weapon knowledge.

We're in magic school where even the house spirit can literally pull guns out of his ass and theoretically ask a tree very nicely to stab you to death with its roots. :P
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 06:49:34 am by IamanElfCollaborator »

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile

So, just going to ask; Do you guys want to go to the break period, or want me to run the classes I forgot first?
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

mdk666

• Bay Watcher
  • cheaply produced multi-functional biological tool
    • View Profile

I have a bit of firearm knowledge in terms of the physics and whatnot from personal research and reading various articles. Archaic weapons are not something I discuss nor research due to them being effectively obsolete nowadays, well at least in terms of being used as a primary weapon by soldiers.
I sincerely hope you that you aren't counting knifes as archaic and obsolete because they are very versatile tools and extremely good in melee, even better than pistols/revolvers.

7 hours ahead? You mean like GMT+1? Since that's where I'm at.
GMT/UTC+2 actually, because summer-time.

By the way, regarding the spear, sword, dagger thing. You've not specified in what area and range you're talking.
I'd rather have all 3, spear for medium range, sword for short range, and dagger for grappling range (shiv shiv shiv).
Spears work great in formation, just look at the phalanx (granted, that's a pike, but you get the idea).
I was actually taking umbrage at the fact that no one cared about to mention for which range spear/sword/knife would be best and that someone suggested that one of those would be easier to learn then the other two.
But it's good to see that at least some people here know what they are talking about.

Back to crating my char, writing a coherent back-story and balanced power is harder than i thought...
The world will look up and shout: "Spare us."
And I will laugh.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have a bit of firearm knowledge in terms of the physics and whatnot from personal research and reading various articles. Archaic weapons are not something I discuss nor research due to them being effectively obsolete nowadays, well at least in terms of being used as a primary weapon by soldiers.
I sincerely hope you that you aren't counting knifes as archaic and obsolete because they are very versatile tools and extremely good in melee, even better than pistols/revolvers.
Emphasis on the term primary weapon. Also, versatility in a non-weapon capacity is not a particularly effective argument as towards the use of something as a weapon. You could argue that a sword is also more effective in its effective range than a firearm, but that does not render it particularly useful in the modern world.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 07:38:22 am by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In other news....

Another shipping victim. DELICIOUS

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile

Back to crating my char, writing a coherent back-story and balanced power is harder than i thought...
Balance isn't so much an issue as creating a character that wouldn't immediately murder everyone. The principal is the only balancing force you need.
Black lives matter.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile

But you should keep in mind the age. It's highly unlikely for a person to master a power within becoming a teen.
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

mdk666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Emphasis on the term primary weapon. Also, versatility in a non-weapon capacity is not a particularly effective argument as towards the use of something as a weapon. You could argue that a sword is also more effective in its effective range than a firearm, but that does not render it particularly useful in the modern world.
Depending on the environment (areas with low visibility or short sight-ranges, were any encounter is likely to be melee, eg cave passages or underwater (especially rivers or harbors)) a knife can be indeed a valid and sensible choice as primary weapon.
The versatility part was more along the lines that, whether or not the knife is the primary weapon, it doesn't hurt bring one along.

Yes, one could make such an argument for swords. But such an argument would be a very thin one , since swords are CQB weapons (unless we're talking about short swords/machetes/large knifes) and there are pistols, revolvers, MPs/SMGs and short-barreled shot-guns for that...

Balance isn't so much an issue as creating a character that wouldn't immediately murder everyone. The principal is the only balancing force you need.
The not-murder-everyone-on-sight is the hard part...

But you should keep in mind the age. It's highly unlikely for a person to master a power within becoming a teen.
The Char i've in mind wont even know he's gifted. Not 'till somebody points it out to him/her/it.
And I will laugh.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile

How is learning to use a spear properly not easier?

Swords basically require that you drill for a longass time just to get enough skill to be decent

Spear has a grand total of two primary moves, unless you're being fancy.

Knife isn't a combat weapon. The only real way to use it in combat is basically when you've already gotten to range so close you're basically hugging, anyway, which is actually a ton harder when the other guy has a sharp bit of metal he's stabbing you with when you get within six feet of him.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Depends on where and how you use the spear. Pretty sure it's harder to train to use a spear as a weapon in, say, a duel than it is in formation.

I might be talking shit, but eh.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile

Depends on where and how you use the spear. Pretty sure it's harder to train to use a spear as a weapon in, say, a duel than it is in formation.

Assuming equal skill levels, a spear is gonna rek a sword almost every time.

Sword tries to get in range, gets stabbed.

Swords are generally good because they're versatile, not because they're actually any good. In fact, being really good at using a sword was basically dick measurement back in medieval days because unlike a spear/axe/mace, a peasant just couldn't afford to get any good at it.

A spear you literally have a sharp stick you stab things with. That's all. You have an underhand stab, and an overhand stab. You can also use it like a staff if you're feeling fancy.

The range on a spear is just so much LONGER that it's near impossible for them to actually get into a range they can effectively fight in.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 09:03:09 am by ragnarok97071 »
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Didn't dispute that it's better than a sword, just that it might be harder to train in depending on the purpose you plan on using that spear for, which as I acknowledged, might just be me talking shit.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile

Well, it depends on context, it's often about waiting for the opponent to attack. If you move faster than they can recover, then you can shiv them.
Use of daggers are a thing in HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts). So is grappling.
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile

Well, it depends on context, it's often about waiting for the opponent to attack. If you move faster than they can recover, then you can shiv them.
Use of daggers are a thing in HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts). So is grappling.
Yes, but the fact remains that you have to be in hugging range to use them properly, at which point you're usually already dead. They're better than fists though, so there's that. Even a good light sword is better than that, unless said knife is a swordbreaker, at which point you have no reason to be attacking with it.

mdk666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How is learning to use a spear properly not easier?

Swords basically require that you drill for a longass time just to get enough skill to be decent

Spear has a grand total of two primary moves, unless you're being fancy.
Slash and Stab? Add throwing for good measure. Those are very basic moves and are also the same moves that anybody who lays hand on a sword/knife for the first time can perform. Admittedly, throwing a sword/knife (or axe for that matter) will most likely not be particular useful without excessive amounts of training.

Knife isn't a combat weapon. The only real way to use it in combat is basically when you've already gotten to range so close you're basically hugging, anyway, which is actually a ton harder when the other guy has a sharp bit of metal he's stabbing you with when you get within six feet of him.
Spear vs knife? Yeah, it will be difficult for the knife-wielder to get in melee range if the spear-wielder knows what he's doing but if the knife-wielder does get into melee range the spear-wielder is fucked if he isn't very good at blocking and deflecting in situations where the length and reach of his weapon becomes a liability.
Also, the length and reach does exactly squat if the guy with the knife creeps up from behind for a silent take-down.

Nope, you aren't talking shit. You're in fact pretty much correct.
And I will laugh.
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 534