Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How did we find out about video games in 2005?  (Read 1444 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How did we find out about video games in 2005?
« on: May 17, 2015, 03:50:22 am »

So when I was a kid, I new what kinds of games were gonna come out. What I DIDN'T have then was the ability to find out about them using the Internet, nor did video game ads come up on TV. Can anyone remember how we found out about games that were gonna come out consider we didn't have Internet?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 04:35:32 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: How do you find out about video games in 2005?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 04:04:34 am »

I would check the retail stores whenever I went out shopping. Glancing over the shelves for anything that looked interesting. The other way was by reading a magazine I bought monthly. The demos on the CD/DVD would give a good indication of games I could look out for.

Bought "Dawn of War" by playing the game then going out and buying the full version the next day. Because the magazine was monthly the demo games were likely to be released by the time I played the demo.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: How do you find out about video games in 2005?
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 04:19:30 am »

Nintendo Power, plus I'd usually hang out in the video-game isle while my Mom was shopping (if nothing else I could read the guides while I waited). I also picked up the occasional one through word of mouth, but those were the two main methods.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: How did we find out about video games in 2005?
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 05:34:53 am »

Lots of games had demos of other games on them. Also, video game journals.
._.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 06:58:41 am »

... didn't have... what the hell? What the hell?

Are you sure you aren't thinking something like '85? In '05 I was definitely finding out about video games via the 'net more than just about anything. Gaming and the net started its relationship in full swing something like the mid 90s -- '95, '96, somewhere in that range. Did you know the first fully playable fan translation on romhacking came out in '97?

If you're just talking about as a kid in general, before consistent and personal internet access, yeah, back then it was nintendo power/other video game journals (which were generally kinda' awesome back in the 90s -- bloody huge things, pretty often. By '05 they were basically well past the point of starting to decline, iirc) and word of mouth more than anything. Browsing rental shops/video-game isles and grabbing whatever had the most interesting cover was pretty standard practice, too.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 07:15:47 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 07:45:23 am »

My family got internet somewhere around 97-99, so yeah.

As for how I learnt of games. Magazines, friends and word-if-mouth, stores (whether physical or web-based). Playing the demo collections that came with the magazines. Borrowing games from friends to try them out. I'm not sure what you were expecting?
Love, scriver~

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 08:12:00 am »

The internet definitely existed in 2005. O_o

I do remember fondly the demo CDs (or floppies - the horror) you'd get with gamer magazines, but that was more mid-90's.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 08:14:38 am »

I'm saddened whenever a game doesn't have a demo these days. There should be more demos.

...I also miss magazines.
Love, scriver~

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 08:15:52 am »

nor did video game ads come up on TV
Wrong!
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 08:47:50 am »

Obviously in his experience the internet and/or television ads weren't a viable way to find games. Have we cleared that up?

Myself, I mostly used to read an assortment of gaming magazines to keep tabs on what was happening.
Hyper mag was one of my favourites for a while- until they gave Canis Canem Edit, one of the greatest videogames of all time, a bad rating- as well as platform-specific ones like the Offical Playstation mag. Despite spending a fair bit of time on the computer I never really used the internet to find new games. Hell, I still don't... I generally don't pay much attention to new games these days. There aren't really any upcoming releases that I like the look of as far as I'm aware*, and besides I don't own a PS4 or XBone. Or an expensive-as-fuck powerful gaming PC.

I fondly remember the demo discs of the magazines from my childhood... all those weird-ass psone games crammed into each issue.
I still have all those discs somewhere. Always a nostalgia trip looking back at them... PS magazine sure pulled out all the stops with those.

*Apart from the new Metal Gear Online, which I have repeatedly shat my pants over.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 11:57:22 am »

in 2005? Magazines.

Official Xbox Magazine, GamePro, PC Gamer.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 12:14:56 pm »

Nintendo Powerrrrrrrrr

I found out about so many good games thanks to that magazine.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 12:30:16 pm »

I was a kid in the early 80s.

Television commercials were useful. (SHOCK!)
Various gaming magazines (Like Nintendo Power, but also many others.)
Generic computer magazines would advertize game software. (Computer shopper, et al.)
Friends would discuss games they were making and or had played on BBS systems, and share files.
Hear about one from a friend that had played one.

The world was a bigger place back then, because the internet did not exist (technically it did if you were a college student, but average citizens did not have easy access without paying lots of moolah)-- one's scope was more limited to what was locally available, or could be ordered reliably from a catalog.

Pen and Paper games were still wildly popular, due to the outrageous expense of game systems and computers at the time.

Things like that.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 12:34:06 pm by wierd »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2015, 12:31:35 pm »

Things my friends said were good. I don't think I ever bought anything for any other reason.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2015, 01:54:38 pm »

My family was really lateen getting internet due to us living in the middle of the forest. Don't think we had home internet until at least the late 2000's (though we did have access to the horrible school internet for most of the time instead since my parents were teachers).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: [1] 2