Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.27.173.38a Released  (Read 15833 times)

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.27.173.38a Released
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2008, 09:51:00 pm »

quote:
stopped children and babies from joining you on your adventures
CURSE YOU, TOADY!  My schoolgirl army plans are ruined.

quote:
Originally posted by Red Jackard:
<STRONG>Let's start a article on the wiki for discussing HIDDEN FUN STUFF and never bring it up on the forums. As is, they are pretty much impossible to not find out about - especially if you use the Today's Active Topics list.</STRONG>
Disagree.  How can we report bugs, make suggestions, or discuss gameplay related to it without bringing it up?
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2008, 10:07:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Aquillion:
<STRONG>Disagree.  How can we report bugs, make suggestions, or discuss gameplay related to it without bringing it up?</STRONG>
Two of those are sensible reasons to mention it! The last is not so much, and kind of what I meant. There is also this for discussing strategies...

[ February 05, 2008: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2008, 10:34:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Red Jackard:
<STRONG>Two of those are sensible reasons to mention it! The last is not so much, and kind of what I meant. There is also this for discussing strategies...

[ February 05, 2008: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]</STRONG>

Giving Toady feedback on the gameplay is important for the same reason it's important to give him feedback on bugs.

Well, ok, maybe not entirely as important (since so much is still going to change), but it is still important.  And we can't give useful feedback about the gameplay if nobody is willing to talk about important things because they're secret.

[ February 05, 2008: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2008, 10:44:00 pm »

There should still be army attacks, though I merged all of the separate functions together so there are bound to be a few issues, and it's even more temporary than the other temporary stuff since one of the main goals of the next three releases is to eliminate the need for creature generation.  It still generates creatures for attacks as it stands.

Yeah, since nobody dies young during the histories, and there's a population cap, you'll tend to have quite a few older people in town.  There's also no menopause, so some people have kids at age 100 and so on, and they'll also marry starting at 12 or something, since that's when the raws remove their child status.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2008, 11:31:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Keizo:
<STRONG>Guh.. At work.. must... resist.. downloading and installing... GRAAH!!!

WHYYYY do I check this webpage every morning. I SHOULD be checking it before I LEAVE, not right when I get in.

This is going to be an agonizing day at work.    :(

Oh, and thanks so much for the release Toady. It's Adventure Time!</STRONG>

Same thing here... Owww, how I understand you, man!

Anyway: all hail Toady!

Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2008, 12:11:00 am »

The oldest person I say died at 117... in one town 2 members of the guard were 98 years old  :) No rush to fix this though it just makes them look hardcore as hell.

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2008, 12:20:00 am »

yeah, its the mean 80+ guard... adventure mode took a steep turn upwards i must say, cool new features like that compass thingie which tells you where to go... gr8 new towns now as well, starting to look more real ^^
een failing lately?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2008, 12:37:00 am »

I encounted a high priest whose grandpa was the mayor.   Nepotism runs rampant in the fort city of Shellfortress.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2008, 12:40:00 am »

Look at people's profiles in Fortress Mode.

Awesome.

I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2008, 03:37:00 am »

I must say, great job with this release, Toady! DF hasn't stopped impressing me since I first played it.

Specific interesting tidbits from the new version:

*A random peasant I talked to happened to be the brother of the queen of that mountain-home. Who would of thought?

*The Chapel of the Stars (or Of Stars, something like that) - The name generator is working very well! =)

Nice touch with an Adventurer's home-town minimap starting off fully revealed, too, by the way.

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2008, 03:00:00 pm »

total chaos with getting faq for the new version now ^^
een failing lately?

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2008, 09:34:00 pm »

Yeah, there seems to be, shall we call it, a New Version Rush, where everyone is trying to get info on the new version and update the utilities.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2008, 09:52:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>and they'll also marry starting at 12 or something, since that's when the raws remove their child status.</STRONG>

I think people did that back in the day. Then again, I think it was mostly young girls getting married off to older men (hey, as long as they've reached puberty).

Also, how's the Mac port coming? I know I can use boot camp, but that's so tedious.  :p

hippiepirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2008, 10:09:00 pm »

I'd also like to know when the mac port is comeing

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2008, 10:12:00 pm »

From dev now:

quote:

Mac portage... there are still various gigantic problems with the peripherals (sound/movies/BMP export/etc.), but there was quite a bit of progress. I generated a world with the same seed on both of my computers and got the same exact map and history. It was a bit of a chore though since the order of RNG calls between MSVC and XCode was different based on compiler optimizations (so I had to break some expressions up, once I found out what was going on). I can't guarantee there won't be a lot of addition problems along these lines. I then went on to mine a tunnel in dwarf mode and join a temple in adventure mode. Speed was fine, except in a few places where the number of refreshes needs to be cut down (unit offloading is the big one).

I'm at a point where I can't continue without some email correspondence, so I'm going to release the Windows version now. I'll just be bug fixing with more frequent releases for a while though, so as soon as the main Mac issues are handled I can get the port out with one of those. I have the actual code transfer/Mac compile/archive process down to about a half hour which I can mostly spend working on other release procedures, so once the initial problems are sorted out everything should actually go smoothly from now on.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6