Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: What are some nice, large, generally high quality, online communities?  (Read 5595 times)

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When they feel the need to explain why their use of "faggot" is a good thing. I've heard the explanation many times. It can get pretty lengthy. Some amount of shit is being given there.

And I guess you don't really need to care what other people think to come up with an explanation like that. Acting like you're doing something good when you're bullshitting on social media is a great way to fluff your ego.
It's anonymous though. Ego has nothing to do with it, and people who do identify themselves with tripcodes without a real reason to get called attention whores and tripfags.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile

As a white person who has lived in a 'hood, yes, there are plenty of wannabe fuckheads who use the 'n' word in an attempt to 'sound cool', and even a few who honestly believe that as long as they use it the same way that ghetto-rats use it 'it's okay'.  It is not now, never was, and will never be okay to use the word in any context, and the ghetto-rats are just as bad as the stupid effing wannabes.  So no, 4chins use of 'faggot' is still stupid and offensive, regardless of context (unless they're actually talking about a heavy wood stick).
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile

I like to go on /int/ from time to time and casually deride every other nation. My personal favourites are the britbong vs. frenchie threads.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 02:43:16 pm by penguinofhonor »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

I'm sorry I did this to the thread. Surely we can all agree that 4chan is not what OP is looking for, and move on.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

I think that it's safe to say that what OP is looking for doesn't exist. Online communities: Nice, large, high-quality; pick none.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

4chan's culture has always struck me as juvenile. Doesn't matter what age you are when you read it or post to it. The energy and attitude is all like 15 year old kids. And knowing some 30 year olds who still read 4chan pretty consistently, and the shit they find funny or worth mentioning....has just strengthened my belief in that. It's not the kind of place I'd ever call nice.

Also I hate the thread structure.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Bah. Juvenile. It's a strange word to use as an insult. Kids have some pretty good ideas, you know. Ever put chocolate milk on chocolate breakfast cereal? Magnificent.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Bah. Juvenile. It's a strange word to use as an insult. Kids have some pretty good ideas, you know. Ever put chocolate milk on chocolate breakfast cereal? Magnificent.

I could do with more putting more chocolate on stuff, and less with them reflexively calling each other fag because it's both provocative and a sign of friendship/hate. There are some parts of being a teenager that are just stupid. The fact it's done ironically just keeps it from getting old a little longer. I reconnected with some friends, who were big into 4chan in their day, in the last couple of years and had to readjust to hearing "Do it faggot" as a daily thing. It's even less enjoyable in person.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile

Small subreddits.

Kingbodz

• Bay Watcher
  • a bayonet wielded by the hand of God.
    • View Profile

B12 is the only community I can think of that meets the OPs criteria that I care about. All others tend to be full of infighting.
Known as Redblaze3000 on BYOND

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

B12 is the only community I can think of that meets the OPs criteria that I care about. All others tend to be full of infighting.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile

My view on the 4chan slur thing is the same as my view on white people who say they use the n-word to mean "an ignorant person". You say you're helping, but I just see you trying to rationalize your offensive behavior.
I've never seen people say they're helping (and for that matter, I've never heard that justification for using the n-word) a particular group by changing the definition of slurs. While I completely understand that many people (LGBT or not) could be offended by the casual use of "fag" on the chans, it's not intended to be a homophobic slur and recognizing this intent is a part of joining the community.

While the site(s) at large aren't that great there are some decent boards. I've actually started to get into some new hobbies after getting into the chan communities for them. /tg/ in particular is starting to resuscitate my interest in tabletop gaming, while /v/ makes hilarious musicals and can be a source of hilarious snark about gaming industry bullshit.

All that said, they all fail the "nice" criterion, at least to new folks. They're not really that nasty once you get used to them but there's an adjustment period for sure.

EDIT: I do enjoy Bay12, too, even though I get the feeling a lot of people don't appreciate me. Hell, I don't even play Dwarf Fortress any more (or even LCS) - I stay because the off-topic discussion is interesting.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 06:13:53 pm by penguinofhonor »

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile

To be fair, just as the use of [f-word] as a general insult without homophobic connotations likely owes some of its spread to South Park's biker gang episode, the "[n-word]s versus black people" dichotomy was largely promulgated by Chris Rock. Admittedly, he was only using it as a perceived division among black people, and I'm genuinely curious where people began using it without that racial baggage. I have never observed anyone calling non-black people by the word, no matter how "ignorant" they may be.

I think that might be why I'm more comfortable with 4chan's use of [f-word] than with the "new" definition of [n-word]. I've observed plenty of cases both online and in real life of the former being used without homophobic intentions (admittedly, I've used it that way myself a few times), but everyone I've met considers the latter too deeply racialized to be redeemed in the same way.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4