Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 32

Author Topic: XCOM on Forums: OOC thread. FULL ROSTER! (Waitlist open)  (Read 31036 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM on Forums: OOC thread. First Operation Complete! (23/25)
« Reply #315 on: June 12, 2015, 02:20:16 pm »

Keep in mind we're starting with one, so we're going to see them.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 12, 2015, 03:28:25 pm »

Well, we'll see more with more satellites?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #317 on: June 12, 2015, 03:29:41 pm »

Well, we'll see more with more satellites?
Yeah. You can only detect UFOs in countries with satellites over them.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 12, 2015, 03:33:49 pm »

I'm curious how abstracted that'll be; I assumed it was continental, not country based; and there's no way we're going to be able to expand to new continents before we get Europe fully covered.

If you're unsure why, it's because interceptors are continent based; we'll see UFOs in other continents and be totally unable to do anything about them.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: June 12, 2015, 04:33:58 pm »

One more thing, during the last mission I've been wanting to use visual cues similar to those in the game and here is a test of what I produced:

How does that look?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 12, 2015, 04:38:16 pm »

Useful.

EDIT:  As long as you don't mind people like me using the visual reference to triangulate position.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 12, 2015, 04:42:53 pm »

Yeah, they look nice, although if they're too much work, simply saying "you hear stuff from direct X" should be fine.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 12, 2015, 04:45:35 pm »

Well we already did that and people still wandered off in the opposite direction :v

And don't forget that meld you forgot even with the flavor cue that it was about to go poof v:

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 12, 2015, 06:20:38 pm »

There was a que?

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 12, 2015, 06:29:33 pm »

Yes. He said that the Meld canister was beginning to whine faster and at a higher pitch. Meld canisters make some kind of whirring whine noise when they're close to expiring; there is a sweet spot you learn to listen for in XCOM when it is 1 turn away from going off. But the flavor cues that Solymr was mentioning are our only indication so far that they're going to expire, so watch out for those.

Also, when you move next to a Meld canister (only directly adjacent, NOT diagonally) all you have to do is tap the canister to secure the Meld. Tapping a canister doesn't even end your turn, so you can move next to a canister, tap it, and still shoot/hunker down/whatever for the rest of your turn. So whenever you move next to a Meld canister, make sure you actually say that you're going to tap/open the Meld canister to secure it.  (Note that you have to actually have at least a half move left to do this; you can't Dash next to a Meld canister and secure it, because your turn will be over by then.

Alright. Start work on Satellite Uplink facility now, then scan for activity until we get a mission prompt.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 06:33:10 pm by Xvareon »

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: June 12, 2015, 06:32:46 pm »

Ah...

Now for a more important question. What the fuck is Meld and why do we know about it already?

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 12, 2015, 06:34:56 pm »

Ah...

Now for a more important question. What the fuck is Meld and why do we know about it already?
Meld is a resource added in XCOM: Enemy Within. You collect it on the battlefield, and use it for various things such as Gene Mods for your soldiers and conversion into MEC Troopers.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 12, 2015, 06:36:27 pm »

Meld is a crystalline suspension containing millions of microscopic nanomachines, the primary use of which is to genetically/cybernetically modify our troops.

To put it simply:  Meld lets us have giant fighting robots and X-Men-style supersoldiers. Meld good. Get it. Get it all.  8)

As to how we know about it already? Good question, considering we haven't even researched Xenogenetics yet. One of those Twilight Zone things, I guess. xD
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 06:42:05 pm by Xvareon »

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: June 12, 2015, 06:37:27 pm »

Ah, then how do we know all about that but not anything else that's presumably alien?

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 12, 2015, 06:39:16 pm »

Plot holes. Obviously.

Plus, it makes more sense to just give it the name 'Meld' from the start now, rather than call it 'alien kool-aid' or something.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 32