Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Strange Mood dwarves  (Read 2767 times)

SilasG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strange Mood dwarves
« on: May 05, 2015, 06:40:52 pm »

Hey guys, I had a Metalsmith dwarf get in a strange mood. I clicked on him and he babbled about needing stone, leather, metal bars and gems. He went and collected everything except a gem. He ended up going insane, berzerking around and strangling people for no reason. Most uncouth. I hadn't setup a jewelers shop at that time but I did have 14 different types of rough gems totaling around 185 gems. Did he not want one of those particular gems or did he want a cut gem instead? I think its a bit much to always have on hand over 14 different types of gems in case some rabid dwarf gets in a mood. If it was a cut gem he wanted then fairplay I suppose.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
Re: Strange Mood dwarves
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 07:00:51 pm »

Likely a cut gem. I don't think a mood fails anymore if you don't have their preference.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 07:01:14 pm »

Yes, this is a case where a cut gem was required, it is best to be ready with as many different materials as possible once you pass the 20 dwarf mood threshold.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 07:28:09 pm »

dont forget shells  ::)
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 07:58:34 pm »

odd. im sure I recall moody dwarfs cutting the gems themselves whn they wanted one.....
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

SilasG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 08:09:54 pm »

He couldn't in this case, Endless Blaze. I hadn't built a Jeweler Shop as yet.

Wait ..shells? Er, I haven't even seen a shell and don't think I even have sand for that matter. Should I hope a random caravan has shells to sell?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 08:52:26 pm »

Shells would be from creatures like turtles or mussels.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 10:12:15 pm »

And worse still, if you buy said shelled creatures as food from the caravan, they will not have shells.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 11:15:17 pm »

That's the nice thing about brainwashing their preferences, you do still get requests for gems and such but unless they specifically liked shells it doesn't seem to load as a demand.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 12:29:11 pm »

And worse still, if you buy said shelled creatures as food from the caravan, they will not have shells.
I wonder if that's a bug.  You wouldn't eat turtle in the shell, but you would expect lobsters to be in shells...
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 02:58:10 pm »

More to the point, aren't they still alive when you buy them?

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 02:39:17 pm »

Unless you bought a *=(Turtle Cage)=* from the elves or something, food from traders is not alive.

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 06:43:53 pm »

I wonder if that's a bug.  You wouldn't eat turtle in the shell, but you would expect lobsters to be in shells...
As far as dorfs are concerned, lobsters don't have shells. Shells pretty much come from mussels and turtles. I.E. you can only get shells via fishing. Unless maybe giant turtles or something gives a shell/many shells when you butcher it. Haven't checked on that, but I don't think they do.
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 11:47:23 pm »

Giant scorpions give something equivalent to shell (chitin).  Or maybe that's equivalent to leather.

RocheLimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2015, 06:30:18 am »

I used to modify the raws of a new DF install to make all Cartilage also be considered a Shell.  But since in the past two years I have only gotten one strange mood that needed shells, I have fallen out of the habit.
Pages: [1] 2