Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Most impressive historical event, according to your dwarves?  (Read 3672 times)

kahrkunne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We all know it: when 70% of your engraver's engravings depict the same event. Clearly, your dwarves think very highly of this happening.
For me, it is the taming of the leopards of The Swamp of Honor by the elf Emofe Anguishatum in the early autumn of 43 during The Fourth Journey of the elf Emofe Anguishautumn. It is depectied on pretty much all engrafings in my current fortress.
Also, this fortress just got it's first artifact, and guess what it depicts? You guessed it:

So, what's yours?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
Re: Most impressive historical event, according to your dwarves?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 05:42:17 pm »

Taming of the giant thrips by Klurin the raven man in 69. Didn't even have to check, I've seen it so often I've got it memorized.

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 05:45:58 pm »

Stibbommishthem, "The Primitive Scholar", a iron bracelet
This is a iron bracelet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with panda leather and encircled with bands of panda leather.
On the item is an image of Momuz Hoarybolted the dwarf and Dwarves in iron. Momuz Hairybolted is surrounded by the dwarves. The artwork relates to the appointment of the dwarf Momuz Hoarybolted to the position of outpost liaison of The Infinite Flags in the early spring of 21.
On the item is an image of The Primitive Scholar the iron bracelet in giant cave spider silk.
On the item is an image of Mistem Painsnarls the dwarf and a walnut wood cage in walnut wood. Mistem Painsnarls is raising the walnut wood cage. The artwork relates to the masterful walnut wood cage created by the dwarf Mistem Paintsnarls for The Imperial Gears at Grayroad in the early winter of 20.

That same cage has a masterwork engraving, 2 superior engravings, a gem set image, and a sewn leather image.

kahrkunne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 04:37:47 am »

It's the same guy, but a different event. I'll go look up this guy in legend's later, he must've done something really amazing to be so famous as to appear on 2/3 artifacts and most engravings in my fortress.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 04:54:28 am »

The Perfect Martyr, an artifact tertahedrite coffin I made. It's so popular my civilisation has even sold me T-Shirts with it on. But the engraver only ever does my fort, artifacts or some FB killing some people. I really wanna meet the FB.
One wheel short of a wagon

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 07:02:59 am »

I wonder maybe I should make a collection?

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 11:10:38 am »

I sometimes like to make a bunch of statues once my mason reaches legendary+5 so I can get a bunch of masterwork statues of important events in my fortress history lining the main walkway of my dining hall, and whenever I do that about half of the total statues made are people being appointed to positions in my fortress, then maybe some random human getting killed by a roc or goblin being killed by an elf.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 12:46:33 pm »

I wonder if the lack of variety is because of generating worlds for only a short time. Then again if you get an engraver who is interested in a specific thing they tend to engrave it everywhere.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 05:35:14 am »

I tend to use short histories partially because I want more engravings off stuff that's actually happened in my own fort. Does tend to make engraving repetetive until I actually get some interesting events, though.
Though I shouldn't complain too much when the walls are full of elves having their skulls smashed by ettins.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 01:19:50 pm »

When you go for a long term fort and it lasts for 50+ years, all the engravings of your accomplishments start to overwhelm world history. First it is all the taming of the giant leopards by so-and-so and after a few decades it is all dwarves raising masterwork horse tallow roasts and cowering, burning goblins.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 04:24:55 pm »

It's so popular my civilisation has even sold me T-Shirts with it on.

Really? that's hilarious!
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 08:54:47 pm »

A longer world history gives you more varied events. Once you've got about 3-5 generations of humans in, you're set. About 150-200 years is plenty.

Having multiple dwarves doing the things is good too. They all like different stuff, so you'll end up with different inscriptions. It's not exactly hard to set a couple of spare engravers to do an entire z-level or two until they get good at it. Just think of it as a fairly boring apprenticeship, before they're allowed to touch the real fortress. Fill the tunnels with other practice goods and statues if wanted (or make 1000 spare toys, beds and cups).

"Z-level -23 and -24? Oh yeah, that's mine and McBob's. Like stick figure drawings half of 'em were. But have a look at the ones in the Great Hall today. Hardly a leopard amongst them. We all had to start somewhere though."

Incidentally, the practice engravings and goods raise fort wealth, which means more invasions, which gives better events to engrave. It's win/win.
It's a game. Have fun.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2015, 06:41:02 pm »

Current fortress: Some dwarf who got struck down by an elf at some point. I am pretty sure the elf wasn't a relation of the elves who are selling us useful bears currently. There's no way I'm going to do anything about it if they keep bringing us animals we can use.

A previous fortress: I had everyone engraving either the mayor being menaced by his most hated vermin (mosquitos), or the symbol of my civilisation: A floodgate. My fort basically looked like this:
☺☺☺XXXXX☺XXXX☺☺☺☺XXXXXX
☺XXXXXX☺X☺X☺X☺XXXXXX☺☺☺
in different combinations. Everywhere. All we had on the walls were endless masterful floodgate carvings, and the mayor crying in fear with giant mosquitos. Weirdly, the mayor was in a GREAT mood all the time. One engraver was finally found who would engrave food. I fired all the rest of the engravers, and had a new suite of rooms made for the mayor, mostly engraved with various types of fruit, and fruit trees. They were excellent.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 01:47:28 am »

More engravings of my baron cooking than being appointed as baron. He's a domestic sphere kinda guy  :)
One wheel short of a wagon

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 11:53:11 am »

New custom title:  Burger Baron.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.
Pages: [1] 2