Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Let's Play ADOM: Tower of Eternal Flames Round 2 Fight!  (Read 26207 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Let's Play ADOM: Tower of Eternal Flames Round 2 Fight!
« on: May 01, 2015, 11:55:08 am »

I've been playing a bunch of ADOM recently. Figured I'd do a let's play of it and make things more interesting.

Quote from: you
What's ADOM?

ADOM stands for Ancient Domains of Mystery. It's a roguelike, similar to Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup or Nethack or Dwarf Fortress. It's got the dungeon crawling class based gameplay of DCSS, but has an open world similar to Dwarf Fortress. Also there's lots of ways to die.

What's the plot?

How do I submit characters for you to play with, Spehss?

Excellent question, non-existent audience! Just make a post with a name, race, class, and gender. Gender choices are standard binary "are you a boy or a girl" stuff. Gender does play a slight role in a player's starting stats. Male gets +1 strength, female gets +1 dexterity. Races and classes are more interesting.

Spoiler: Race options (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: class options (click to show/hide)

If you're an ADOM veteran, you probably know some combos that will either work really well or make me suffer terribly. If you're not familiar with the game, pick whatever and watch me splat it against the metaphorical wall.

Let's get ready to die, Bay12!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 06:12:56 pm by Spehss _ »
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play ADOM: Welcome to Die!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 11:55:36 am »

Reserved for character list and logging updates and the causes of death.

1. Dashing the Male Ratling duelist (chaoticag)
 1 2 3

2. Fancypants the Male Mist Elf Merchant (Oneir)

3. Rather Dashing the Female Ratling Duelist (ituem) (Dashing's sister, they were separated at birth)

4. Medical Malpractice the Male Troll Healer (Frumple) (big fancy words for a troll's name)

5. Dirtfarmer the Male Troll Farmer (Akura)
1 2 3

6. Arengee the Male Mist Elf Chaos Knight (me) (because I can totally recommend characters to try)

7. Droozt the Male Dark Elf Ranger (Oneir)

8. Sarvesh the Male Dwarf Weaponsmith (Blaze) (Urist continues Sarvesh's lineage in part 3 and beyond)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 12

9. Somename the Gnome Mindcrafter (Broken)

10.Somename the male Dwarf Wizard (ATHATH)

11. Diggums the Male Gnome Bard (ATHATH)

12. Somename the Hurthling Beastifghter (Toaster)

Spoiler: deaths (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 06:19:32 pm by Spehss _ »
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 12:05:00 pm »

Dashing the male Ratling Duelist. Because he's dashing.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 12:22:38 pm »

Rather Dashing the Ratling Duellist.  (RD-RD)

Edit:  Oh wait, you suggest your own characters.  Sorry, this was meant if it was single character suggestion.

Edit 2:  Sod it.  Rather Dashing, the Ratling Duellist, Dashing the Ratling Duellist's Sister.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 12:24:27 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 12:38:47 pm »

Currently setting up the first update for Dashing. If he dies real early I may move straight to Rather Dashing, but if anyone else suggests something (besides ratling duelists) then I'll run the non-ratling duelist next. Gotta keep some variety.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 12:51:08 pm »

Howsabout Fancy Pants the Mist Elf Merchant?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 01:29:43 pm »

And so it begins. Dashing hears tales of some kind of grand and daring adventure going on in the Drakalor Mountain Chains, and he sets out for it.

Spoiler: starting equipment (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: starting stats (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: starting skills (click to show/hide)

Dashing enters the Drakalor Chain from the far northeast. He finds a road leading down from the mountainside into a valley. He follows the road and arrives at Teriyno.
He wanders the village a bit. Most of the residents seem to be farmers or children, and none of them have anything helpful to say. Truth be told, Dashing doesn't really know what sort of adventures are to be found here in the Drakalors. With no clear goals in mind, he supposes his best bet is to help the locals with whatever they might need. He looks for some kind of authority figure, and finds a druid in the middle of a fair clearing at the town's center.

"Excusse me, sir. Do you have a quessst or some kind of trouble? (In adom canon Ratlingssss have a lissssssp.)

The druid promises us a great reward for our trouble. Dashing stops by the small food shop and spends 50 of his 100 gold on some rations before setting out.

Next Time: Early Game Questing and Spelunking in a Small Cave!
---------------
Howsabout Fancy Pants the Mist Elf Merchant?
This guy will be very interesting. I'm predicting he dies in the first update.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 02:50:26 pm »

The druid said that Keethrax was lurking to the Southeast of Terinyo. Dashing has a terrible sense of direction though, and heads in the exact opposite direction, to the north-west.

He finds a small cave, and enters.

His rat senses are tingling. There could be some good loot in this cave. One of the scrolls he picked up warns him that "Time is working against you!" and he has the lurking suspicion he shouldn't stay in this cave for long.

"Oh Ssaass preserve me there's a cat. And some goblins and a skeleton and some big bats but THERE'S A SAVAGE CAT."
Dashing makes like a rat and runs for the downstairs to avoid being cornered by the cat. He found a cloak, but no better loot than that. He already has a great cloak, so this loot is useless.

He did kill enough beasties to level up from level 1 to level 3 though. At character creation I took the talent "Healthy" for a 20% boost to health regen. At level 3 I took the talent "Long Stride" so that movement takes 950 energy points instead of the standard 1000 energy points. Long Stride can help outrun various creatures. Talents provide various perks, if you don't know.

Going down the stairs brings Dashing to an unremarkable dungeon. He'd rather not go back into the small cave and face the cat again. The only way out is through the unremarkable dungeon. Dashing heard some orcs talking about going through this dungeon to reach a High Mountain Village on the other side. The orcs were also trying to bash his brains out so Dashing had to cut their conversation short.

On the first floor of the unremarkable dungeon Dashing found an underground river and hordes of hostile blink dogs slavering to eat him. Fortunately the downstairs was on the same side of the river as the up stairs and the blink dogs were no match for Dashing's talents with a rapier. No blink dogs dropped a corpse. Also, Dashing could swim, so the river isn't nearly as much of a problem as it could be.

On the second floor of the unremarkable dungeon Dashing found a vault full of undead skeletons and ghouls. He killed them all easily with his rapier, and found some cool loot. A pair of gloves, some wands, a wooden ring, and some bottles of water. Also another wild cat. Dashing avoided that cat.

On the third floor he encountered a yellow ooze. The ooze hit him and poisoned him, so Dashing went with the tried and true method of stabbing the thing with his rapier until it stopped moving, but got more poisoned in the process. The ooze regenerated damage, and that combined with the poison touch could make it a dangerous opponent to try and outlive. Good thing there was only one of them, otherwise things could get

Oh. Oooooooh. I think I'll just, uh, go check out what's behind some of these other doors and leave you blobs of ooze alone, m'kay.

Fortunately Dashing found the downstair behind another door and managed to flee the level with only one ooze following him. Trying to wade through those oozes while already poisoned and with no source of healing and no poison resistance would've probably killed us. Also we leveled up to 7. At level 6 I took the talent "Porter" so I can carry 10% more stuff without being burdened. Being burdened causes duelists to lose their class powers.

Good thing we won't encounter any more rooms full of hostile monsters right game--

"Oh for the love of Ssaass."  Dashing went from running downstairs to avoid a room full of slime to being faced with wading through a room full of wolves.

With nowhere else to go but up, Dashing decides to take on the horde of wolves. It goes...relatively well. Many wolves perish at the dashing and elegant and dexterous hands of Dashing. But he also gets knocked down to 8 hp and still poisoned. I had to burn a prayer to Ssass for healing.

Dashing kills some more miscellaneous dungeon critters and finds a black ring dropped from a jackal. Dashing's skill at detecting items informs him that the ring is uncursed and probably safe to put on.

Oh.

OH. Okay.

Well, now it seems we're doomed. This will end well.

Next time: Dashing's Inevitable Demise at the Cruel Hands of Fate!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 06:07:42 pm »

Is it too late for dashing to pray to the gods yet? I forget if they help uncurse things or not.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 06:26:12 pm »

With enough piety, you can indeed get the doomed status removed, but to gain enough piety means spending a time leading monsters to an altar of same alignement as you to sacrifice them then waiting for more to respawn etc... can take lots of time.

And then pray when you have high piety and your equipped cursed item will be uncursed.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 10:08:28 pm »

Or sacrifice an aligned creature at your god's altar to piss him off so he/she dusts your equipment.

Obviously this should happen after you take all your other gear off.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2015, 12:24:45 am »

Why is killing cats a poor idea (being a rat notwithstanding)?
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2015, 02:59:37 am »

Why is killing cats a poor idea (being a rat notwithstanding)?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2015, 07:55:11 pm »

... ratling? Mist elf? Duelist, chaos knight? What the zog happened to the ADOM I vaguely remember and could only enjoy after memory editing it?

In any case, good luck, and I'll throw in a suggestion for a Troll Healer named Medical Malpractice.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2015, 11:37:25 pm »

Wait, where do you even get the proper, ASCII version of ADOM any more?
All the stuff on their (awful) website seems to be some new version with hideous graphics.

Also: You're doomed. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9