Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20

Author Topic: D&D 5e: Braving the New World (Day 2-A Quiet Evening)  (Read 18664 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5e: Braving the New World (Day 1-Catherine's Luck)
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2015, 02:05:29 pm »

"Nice to meet you, Natalie. Are you a mage? It's not common to hear normal settlers quoting magical theory, at least where I'm from."

Natalie furrows her brow and considers the question.

"Well my degree in theoretical magics is more of a theoretical degree in magics.  I dont think Archmage Murphy actually existed, it's just a thing sailors say where I'm from.  I suppose you could say that my father taught me a few things about alchemy however, if that's magical enough for you.  Do the mages in your country usually travel wearing their only outfit of clothes in a damp and creaking ship?"
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2015, 02:48:18 pm »

"No, they wouldn't. They were some of my worst acting customers, but they were my best paying- sorry, I should have mentioned; back hom- in the old world, I ran a spice trading business."

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2015, 02:56:22 pm »

"Oh, I might just take a pass on the boiler room.  Spice trading is an exciting business.  Why would you ever get out?"
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2015, 03:12:35 pm »

"Because my father, who actually owned the business, and I had a major falling out after we lost a huge shipment. He was convinced it was my fault and insisted that I pay for it. My savings couldn't cover even half of the losses, so he tried to sell me into slavery. I didn't take kindly to that gesture, and after a couple months on the run, I decided to start over in a new world. Now I'm here."
(Deception: 4+6) (I'm rolling for myself in this scenario, since it's just between players)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2015, 03:31:00 pm »

((Oh great I just rolled a natural 20 on a completely unimportant roll.  Everyone knows that exhausts my supply of 20s!))

The furrow on Natalie's brow returns.  The story didn't check out.  For one thing this guy clearly didn't know too much about the relative prices of slaves and ships full of spices.  The hatred was real but the story was quite fake.

"Well that's quite the story.  My father and I didn't part company on the best of terms either..."

Unlike Nigma, Natalie didn't feel like telling a lie to cover that she didn't feel like telling the truth either.  Instead she thought it perhaps best to move to a less sensative subject.

"The danger of shipping cargo west and east does seem like something of an opportunity though.  If there had been a proper system of insurance set up you might not have been in this bind.  Sooner or later somebody is going to do that."[/brown]
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2015, 03:34:34 pm »

"Sooner or later somebody is going to do that."
"Piracy, or insurance?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2015, 03:48:28 pm »

A large brown rat scuttles across Nigma's foot as soon as he finishes his sentence. It scoots up the hallway, heading to the upper deck, the direction where you came from.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2015, 03:53:29 pm »

"We both know what they say about rats and sinking ships, right?"

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2015, 03:55:19 pm »

"Piracy, or insurance?"

"Well somebody is going to do piracy but I draw the line at insurance."

"We both know what they say about rats and sinking ships, right?"

"...I hate the thought of this but maybe we should head for the topside."
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2015, 04:05:08 pm »

"Piracy, or insurance?"

"Well somebody is going to do piracy but I draw the line at insurance."
Earl gives a sensible chuckle.
"...I hate the thought of this but maybe we should head for the topside."
"I'm going to investigate first, find out if there's a leak or not."

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2015, 04:19:00 pm »

"Let me know what you find."

Natalie heads topside and looks for the captain or who ever is in charge up there and tries to assess how worried they are.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2015, 04:56:36 pm »

Gathering himself, Ker exits the room, heading for the deck and less-stale air.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2015, 01:56:07 am »

Ispil momentarily enjoys the now quietened room, devoid of sound save for the crashing waves and lurching ship. He's always enjoyed quiet places near loud sources of sound, they help him feel more focused.

"I guess it looks like I don't have much of a choice any more. Time to head out on deck."

He absent-mindedly touches the tiny door-less cage on his hip. Ispil was worried about the fire elemental in the boiler, but decided to leave it be. He wasn't in the New World yet. He had no obligations. Besides, it probably wouldn't be doing any harm where it was. Hopefully.

He exits the mess room, heading for the deck of the ship.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2015, 09:45:32 am »

Earl heads downwards, intent on checking out the state of the hull...

As his boots leave the last stair, entering the lower cargo hold, they splash in about a foot of cold ocean water. It makes him shiver. He investigates the hold and finds the hull has sustained a number of sluggish leaks, the worst being a large jagged cracked that starts near the ceiling and runs zig zag all the way to the floor. Salty water slowly trickles in as he watches...which really reminds him of the full force of the ocean on the other side of this thin wooden skin they call a boat.

He can see a few loose items floating about here and there, though most of the barrels seem intact. One of the barrels sports a fat black rat chewing industrially on a cork. It notices you enter, pierces you with beady red eyes-then seemingly dismisses you, unafraid.

---

The rest make their way up to the deck where they find...a remarkably lack of hurry or concern. Most of the sailors seem at ease and sure footed, even in the terrible storm-all going about their tasks with easy professionalism. In the far distance, across the surging waters-a black pinnacle of stone that is probably an island, can be seen.

Captain Catherine herself is hanging idly up in the rigging (the sails are drawn very tight) enduring the wind and the rain and thunder and lightning-shouting and cursing at the fury of the storm, for some reason.

"...Do yer worst! Come on, is that the best you can do!? Bring it all down if ya like, you son of a poxy whore! I'm still here! Ya ain't never gonna break Catherines Luck!!!"

Which is to say, by the way, that you're all being soaked to the bone.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2015, 09:50:36 am »

Ker stays out of the way, staring intently towards land. It's only a little rain, after all.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20