Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 71

Author Topic: Paid Mods -- Round 4: McGregor vs mAAAyweather  (Read 100598 times)

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Workshop - Now supporting pay-for mods
« Reply #195 on: April 24, 2015, 05:45:41 pm »

No, no. I mean test the idea of people just outright stealing free mods and putting them up for sale. Not that they'd make enough for any actual money to go to me before being shut down, but I imagine if someone were to flood the marketplace with that, Valve would start seeing that the system might be a touch flawed.

EDIT: Well, not 100% copy-pasted. I'd change a color or two, or maybe a config setting. Ispil's custom-tuned Wet and Cold settings, for $5.99?
The /v/ board on 8chan is already trying to flood the system with shitty "mods" that don't do anything of importance and cost an exorbitant amount of money. It's also been suggested to make a ton of mods that stealthily add dicks to random items and NPCs, which would inevitably make some poor bastard at Valve spend hours looking through dozens of mods, searching for dicks, once they get reported.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 05:47:54 pm by Morrigi »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 24, 2015, 05:48:41 pm »

The typical hobbyist modder doesn't comprehend that with business transactions come business obligations. People are going to be blinded by the profit potential only to get in over their heads when their customers start demanding to be treated as such, not to mention all the legal complications that come with being a business (also not to mention taxes). The end result will be modders burning out sooner than later, leading to a community that focuses on simple quickie mods that don't need any long-term support. Free mods will still exist for the time being, but that community can only shrink as new talent decides to go the paid route instead. So basically, it's the horse armor fiasco all over again, only it's partially modder instigated this time.

What Valve should be ashamed of is that they apparently led modders into this mess without preparing them for a business environment. Chesko should've known that Valve would refuse to pull an already distributed product as that's the correct financial decision, but that he thinks it's a matter of creative control tells me that either he didn't read all the documents presented to him (possible), or that Valve didn't care to sufficiently invest in their newly exploitable assets (which is what these modders really are in the new scheme of things).

Also, this post is content that cost me a precious few minutes to create. By reading this you are contractually obligated to compensate me for my time. The fair trade value for this post is pi^e cookies. If you fail to pay within 24 hours, I'll sue your beard off. Or something. (Obvious snark is hopefully obvious.)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 24, 2015, 05:49:21 pm »

folks are pulling their content out for fear of theft
Why do they pull their content? It's not like somebody stealing it from them actually prevents them from developing it further, right?
._.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #198 on: April 24, 2015, 05:53:32 pm »

folks are pulling their content out for fear of theft
Why do they pull their content? It's not like somebody stealing it from them actually prevents them from developing it further, right?
I steal your mod and post it on steam to make money and then claim you are infringing my copyright and have your nexus mod taken down.

Ridiculous I know but it could happen.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 24, 2015, 05:54:39 pm »

Why would Nexus do that?  Why wouldn't they just check the timestamps?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 24, 2015, 05:57:14 pm »

Because they would have Valve's legal team breathing down their neck.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #201 on: April 24, 2015, 06:02:54 pm »

Just because I only uploaded my mod (your mod I stole) yesterday doesn't mean I haven't been developing it over the last 6 months and you stole a dev copy from me duh ban him!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 24, 2015, 06:03:42 pm »

Just because I only uploaded my mod (your mod I stole) yesterday doesn't mean I haven't been developing it over the last 6 months and you stole a dev copy from me duh ban him!
Basically that. Remember: If it's not absolutely impossible, a corporate lawyer can make it true.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #203 on: April 24, 2015, 06:07:33 pm »

the 'early access' mods being sold make me giggle

edit: And its not even a manly giggle. My wife says it is my 'little girl with a secret' giggle

edit2: she's asking why all the giggling guys quick dmca her so I can get away

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 24, 2015, 06:15:25 pm »

Aaaand the paid-for mods are now on TPB. Along with mediafire, dropbox... It's a brand new world and it sucks.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 06:17:15 pm by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #205 on: April 24, 2015, 06:20:12 pm »

Dammit, why is it that whenever something like this happens, all I can think of are Machiavellian plans to cause havoc, just for fun?
Dude, this is why I told you to make a new steam account and go nuts. Make sure to buy something cheap first because iirc steam will delete accounts with no purchases in a heartbeat.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 24, 2015, 06:26:18 pm »

Aaaand the paid-for mods are now on TPB. Along with mediafire, dropbox... It's a brand new world and it sucks.
HOW INCREDIBLY SURPRISING.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 24, 2015, 06:32:26 pm »

HOW INCREDIBLY SURPRISING.
we could never have seen it coming
who would have thought that locking stuff behind an unreasonable paywall would lead to it being pirated
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 24, 2015, 06:36:04 pm »

You can't just put that sort of material on the Internet for anybody to download! It'd never end! How can this "TPB" hope to maintain their bandwidth and server costs? It'll surely destroy itself.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 71