Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 71

Author Topic: Paid Mods -- Round 4: McGregor vs mAAAyweather  (Read 100455 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Workshop - Now supporting pay-for mods
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2015, 06:17:52 pm »

Totalbiscuit released a content patch about the Iron Paywall.

That got downvoted to hell in the first several minutes to the point he actually commented that he's not ok with paying for mods... while he constantly talks about how great paying for mods will be during most of the video.

Well at least the FPS and FoV in steam workshop is not making him nauseous.

Seriously tho 75% is not that preposterous if you think about it the other way.
Modders are like mistletoe on a tree (the game and its dev).
Modders themselves cannot recreate Skyrim. They need the base to work with so obviously they don't deserve to get 100%.

Steam usually takes 30% and i assume it's the case here as well meaning they share the pluder. 25% for the mod make 30% for Valve and 45% for bethesda for making skyrim.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 06:21:44 pm by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2015, 06:31:33 pm »

Apparently /r/modpiracy exists now. Didn't take long.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2015, 06:43:53 pm »

This is going to go the same route that DLC did. Need I remind you of Oblivion's horse armor DLC?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2015, 06:52:23 pm »

This is going to go the same route that DLC did. Need I remind you of Oblivion's horse armor DLC?

best DLC 10/10. Would horse again.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2015, 07:01:29 pm »

One other thing to consider is competing mods. Suppose the Unofficial Elder Scrolls patch was monetized. How many seconds do you think it would be before someone starts working on an identical (and free) patch? In 'vital' (ish) cases, the community will regulate itself.

I did a quick search for copyright information, and found something halfway down the FAQ for that particular mod:
http://afkmods.iguanadons.net/index.php?/topic/3581-frequently-asked-questions-about-the-project/
In a nutshell, they assert they have copyright on their bugfixes and don't allow people to edit and release their work.  Apparently people were fixing things that weren't broken, and the original USP team were getting a lot of misleading bug reports from those repackaged releases.

I don't see why a mod author wouldn't be able to enforce copyright on their code, under whichever license they released under.

I might not have said that quite clearly. What I mean is that modders will take note of the bugs fixed and create an entirely new mod that serves the same purpose.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2015, 07:10:08 pm »

... y'know, I think what might worry me the most about this development is whether it's going to mean a change in how modding tools are handled or not. Are we going to see those less likely to be bundled into the game? More restrictive EULAs, which include royalty fees and copyright waivers for use built in? Assuming that 75% is at least partially going to the publisher, is this going to incentivise functionally double-dipping on user-created content -- basically charging the mod creator twice (once for the mod tools, once for commercialization) for the privilege of officially commercializing their mod? One of those wait and see things, I guess, but companies being companies it's mildly concerning. We've already seen at least one case (SC2) of what happens to a mod scene when the publisher gets (extra) greedy. It'd be somewhat annoying if that sort of thing kept happening.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2015, 07:15:42 pm »

It's Copyright Law Hell.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2015, 07:18:59 pm »

It's Copyright Law Hell.

It really is. Unfortunately it can be successfully argued either way, thus if this continues I'm sure we'll eventually see some sort of litigation for or against some impassioned modders.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2015, 07:21:08 pm »

I think TotalBiscuit summed up my position on this pretty well...  Though I'm less optimistic than him, and also I think Steam deserves *some* money for hosting and facilitating.  Just not nearly so much.

Like he said, people deserve to get paid for their work.  Whether they choose to arrange payment, or just offer their work for free, should be up to them.  And this could (possibly) encourage professional mod development.  Well, it literally encourages it, but we'll see what actually happens.

I might not have said that quite clearly. What I mean is that modders will take note of the bugs fixed and create an entirely new mod that serves the same purpose.
That could happen, but it'd involve redoing most of the work.  The patch is 101MB, and fixes about a thousand bugs (based on their bug tracker, which only shows data for one category at a time).

I agree that this will be self-regulating, but recreating the unofficial patches from scratch would be... nontrivial.  And possibly never do as good a job at actually fixing the bugs, even cribbing off their bugtracker.

Though if that particular project starts demanding money, which seems highly unlikely, I bet Bethesda would finally get around to implementing fixes themselves :P  Hopefully hiring the mod authors or licensing their work.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2015, 07:25:58 pm »

Again let me state, it's not my position that people should go unpaid for their hard work, but it's not modding. It's game development. now, as previously stated, modding is and should be a hobby for everyone. Donations are cool, but in a sense this is really sucking the fun out of playing mods, and to some extent, making them too. I believe someone else already said modding is NOT game development and if modders want to get in to that they should develop their own IP.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2015, 07:31:08 pm »

Eh. I don't oppose paid mods per se, but it's such a tremendous legal grey area that it really can't be a good idea.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2015, 07:34:06 pm »

I think Steam deserves *some* money for hosting and facilitating.  Just not nearly so much.
Well, the thing is they are getting money for hosting and facilitating. Already. That's the whole thing that, y'know, they do. They get paid to publish and host games. Entire shtick, right there. Stuff like the workshop is part of the services they provide to incentivise folks to use them over other platforms. Standard value-added junk.

What they're asking isn't that, it's to get paid extra for a service they were already providing and getting paid to provide. Hrm. Or I guess asking to get paid extra for the service of facilitating commercial modding. Muscling in on paypal or patreon or whatev' in the field of donating to creators. Which is actually an angle I hadn't considered, this as a sort of power-grab by steam, attempting to lay claim to the cash available in the field of user-made content creation. Makes me wonder if that was part of the decision making process...

E: Though thinking of it that way, it makes me kinda' confused why they didn't just frame it that way, as facilitating donations. That would have had a hell of a lot less PR backlash, and it's obvious they're already working that angle with the 0+ price option.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 07:40:15 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2015, 07:38:04 pm »

Where's the petition at?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2015, 07:44:37 pm »

Another issue: The cost of the mods is such that it would only take a few for the total mod cost to surpass that of the game and official DLC. In fact, the relative value for a lot of mods under this system is downright terrible.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2015, 07:51:17 pm »

...To be fair, quite a few mods (spellmaking in skyrim, wheels of lull off the top of my head) are easily just as good as dawnguard.

It's honestly a tough question. I disapprove of forcing people to pay if they want to play your mod wholeheartedly, though.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 71