Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Galaxy Rise II  (Read 6726 times)

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Galaxy Rise II
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2015, 09:44:33 am »

I'm just doing what he said in the OP

"Basically "be creative and don't assume that only what I say can be done" please.
If it isn't super absurd ("Ask the Uarks to give us this planet in exchange for 1 penny!") then please do mention it."
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2015, 10:43:03 am »

I'm afraid that this might fall under super absurd though.

You're talking about sending a single person to a small agrarian town to single handedly build a hyperdrive, a technological marvel that allows spaceships to travel between the stars.

It's about as silly as sending a single engineer to Syria to learn the people how to build modern jet aircraft so that the government won't bomb them anymore.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2015, 10:48:43 am »

This planet already knows how to manufacture hyperdrives, so they obviously have whatever materials and tools are necessary. I don't think that it would be too absurd to setup a factory to mass produce them. all we would need to do is take one.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2015, 04:05:20 pm »

This planet already knows how to manufacture hyperdrives, so they obviously have whatever materials and tools are necessary. I don't think that it would be too absurd to setup a factory to mass produce them. all we would need to do is take one.
1+

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2015, 04:06:28 pm »

Why do we even care about a hyperdrive factory? There's loads of them all over the planet, any of which we can just take after we conquer it.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2015, 04:24:17 pm »

I would like to point out that by that spoiler in the OP, I simply meant you don't have to go down the exact way I seem to expect you.
And by that I mean "I know we want to blow up this space station, but what about infiltrating it first?"

Though this is (mostly) okay too. You can definitely try.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2015, 04:26:35 pm »

Why do we even care about a hyperdrive factory? There's loads of them all over the planet, any of which we can just take after we conquer it.
well
1. it should(hopefully)gain us the support of the rebels
2.it would advance our position without making us a target
3.we could use the warehouses it would inevitably need to hold supplies to stockpile arms and equipment for our  occupationliberation of this planet

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2015, 04:37:34 pm »

well
3.we could use the warehouses it would inevitably need to hold supplies to stockpile arms and equipment for our  occupationliberation of this planet

1. How? A hyperdrive wouldn't benefit the rebels at all, seeing as its only use is to leave the system entirely.
2. Theft tends to make people targets.
3. Or we could spend the time finding warehouses that have a ton of arms and equipment, use it to take the planet, then freely take whatever hyperdrive we want. Looking for the hyperdrive first would alert the Uarks and grant us no tactical advantage.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2015, 04:40:59 pm »

well

1. How? A hyperdrive wouldn't benefit the rebels at all, seeing as its only use is to leave the system entirely.
3. Or we could spend the time finding warehouses that have a ton of arms and equipment, use it to take the planet, then freely take whatever hyperdrive we want. Looking for the hyperdrive first would alert the Uarks and grant us no tactical advantage.
fine you win i was being pretty sily wasn't i so then what do you propose.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2015, 04:43:08 pm »

I proposed that idea because it would satisfy all 4 parties, and get us out off of this planet.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2015, 06:28:47 pm »

well

fine you win i was being pretty sily wasn't i so then what do you propose.
Send espionage officer to the town to mark Uark bases for orbital annihilation.
Though reading back, these buildings would probably be made of the same stuff the buildings in Davenport are made of, meaning that orbital bombardment is out of the question. Maybe we can smuggle in a few bombs/missiles into the Uark base and blow it up from the inside?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2015, 09:20:25 pm »

Sorry for the delay in updates. I couldn't post an update as I planned yesterday due to various reasons.
Either way, I plan on updating today or tomorrow, depending on the consensus.

So there's one plan with 2 people in support of it, and 1 person in opposition to it. I'm not counting Andre's original plan because it his most recent post withdraws it without providing a replacement.
But because of how major the currently supported plan is, and the fact that there is any opposition at all, I'll hold the update for a bit. It'll be posted tomorrow if there's no change to the consensus or perhaps today if there is a reasonable consensus change.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2015, 11:56:17 pm »

My plan didn't change. Before I said we should espionage to find the bases and that's still what I think we should do. It's what we do after that may or may not change depending on what the espionage brings up.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2015, 09:30:15 pm »

My plan didn't change. Before I said we should espionage to find the bases and that's still what I think we should do. It's what we do after that may or may not change depending on what the espionage brings up.
Instruct Rodra to come back, and have Smarte teach him everything she knows about hyperdrives and how one would manufacture them.
So: Have Intelligence officer perform general intelligence/espionage-related stuff on any found Uark bases in the town, and have Smarte prepare a report on the possibility of manufacturing hyperdrives.
See? Everyone's happy!
Though this won't really be acted upon this update. Still thought I may as well show my compromise that I would use when needed.

After waiting for nightfall and the arrival of Rodra, you order Smarte to engage the hover mechanism and maneuvering thrusters; hopefully stealthily lifting the ship into the sky. Soon, it lurches into life.
"Reactor readings stable. Hover system safely engaged. Everything's looking good." Reports Smarte amongst the steady beeping of the diagnostic instruments.
Suddenly, the beeping is interrupted by Gonzal yelling something.
"Hostile sensor contacts! Three small signatures; airborne!"
The holoprojector immediately springs to life as it switches to a 3d map of the sensor data overlaid with geographic data. Three small red dots pass the blip indicating the location of the Phoenix.
You stare at the projection intensely for about a minute before the red dots disappear off the map.
"Threat passed." States a relieved Gonzal. "Intermediate data suggests that they were three Uark ships; slightly larger than fighters."
"Most likely a patrol." Rodra murmurs. "Seems like something spooked the Uarks earlier."
He continues. "I doubt we'd be able to go high enough in the sky for actual intraplanetary travel without being noticed now."
Gonzal pulls up a map on his device, and starts speaking while glancing at it and manipulating a few controls. "IF we want to just sneak past them, we'll probably have to find another way to get to the town. I'll give you a basic report of the surrounding area to make decisions easier."
Report retrieved: Surrounding area.
Spoiler: Surrounding Area (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 12:10:07 am by Chiefwaffles »

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2015, 09:35:56 pm »

I suppose that we could do both at once. Continue.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6