Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Galaxy Rise II  (Read 6734 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Galaxy Rise II
« on: April 23, 2015, 01:18:47 am »

This is titled "Galaxy Rise II" because of the exact same setting, and relatively similar gameplay as the first one. Not because it's a continuation.

A space suggestion game. Mostly strategy-based, but in 2nd person, with dialog and characters. Your main goal is to liberate your civilization from an invading species; starting with nothing but your ship, crew, and an occupied planet.

The U.E.F. used to be a grand intergalactic civilization. The elected representatives of the many worlds that comprised U.E.F. frequently met at Earth to discuss and vote on the many issues and topics relevant to their federation. Near the end of its lifespan, the representatives met to discuss a specific issue.
The invasion of the previously unknown human-like species, the Uarks.
The specific events leading up to this meeting and following it are not well documented due to the chaos and pandemonium that was occurring at the time. The U.E.F. fleets were fighting their mysterious invaders at every turn, but ultimately were failing. In a last-ditch attempt to save their federation, the leaders of the U.E.F. withdrew their primary combat fleets to Earth, to await the Uark invasion fleet. This proved to be a fruitless effort, and Earth fell to the Uarks, ending the war.

Not all is lost, however. You are the Captain of a small corvette, which was assigned to a battle group of a fleet tasked with a covert mission in what used to be U.E.F. territory. While your mission failed, and Earth was lost, your ship survived. While recovering from a botched retreat over the planet Terthern, your ship received a single message from Grand-Com.
"Save Earth."
It may seem like a daunting task, but you were never known to give up in times like these.

First, you'll need to remember some details about who you are, your ship, and your crew.
Ship/Character/Crew Creation
Ship Name: F.S. ________
Ship Class (pick one) -
"Telemachus" Class Mini-Carrier: An agile ship equipped with a single basic weapon, and three spaces for fighters.
"Predator" Class Stealth Corvette: A small yet sleek ship with a prototype stealth system, and one basic weapon.
"Barrage" Class Destroyer: A combat-oriented ship equipped with missiles, and three basic weapons.
"Liberator" Class Assault Ship: A troop-carrier ship with two basic weapon systems and [1 Small Shuttle Slot OR 6 2-person Boarding Pod Slots]

Crew Priority (pick one):

Fully staffed Engineering (start with more engineers)
Fully staffed Marine Contingent (start with more marines)
Extra Crew (start with many more basic crew)

Captain (you) -
Name:

Security Officer -

Name:
Background: (super optional)
Skill (pick one):
Advanced Training - Your security officer is highly skilled in training others in combat-related fields.
Marine Tactics - Your security officer is greatly gifted in tactics revolving around actual soldiers
Naval Tactics - Your security officer is greatly gifted in tactics revolving around ship combat.

Engineering Officer -
Name:
Skill (pick one):
Field Repairing - Your engineering officer is great at making repairs with basic materials and tools outside of a repairing facility.
Field Construction - Your engineering officer is great at creating structures/items/etc. with only basic tools and materials.
Advanced Console Manipulation - Your engineering officer is very highly skilled in manipulating the various consoles around the ship, and is therefore much better at running a ship's systems.

Intelligence Officer -
Name:
Skill (pick one):
Espionage -  Your intelligence officer is trained in matters relating to espionage.
Diplomacy - Your intelligence officer is skilled in the art of diplomacy with others.
General Knowledge - Your intelligence officer is trained well in all matters, and is therefore knows much more about certain things than others

Spoiler: Other OOC Stuff (click to show/hide)
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Galaxy Rise II
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 01:31:07 am »

Ship Class (pick one) -
"Barrage" Class Destroyer: A combat-oriented ship equipped with missiles, and three basic weapons
Security Officer -
Advanced Training - Your security officer is highly skilled in training others in combat-related fields
Engineering Officer -
Field Repairing - Your engineering officer is great at making repairs with basic materials and tools outside of a repairing facility
Intelligence Officer -
General Knowledge - Your intelligence officer is trained well in all matters, and is therefore knows much more about certain things than others

I don't know about names. I'll leave that to other people.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 02:14:08 am »

Hey, that's cool. A new galaxy rise game.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 02:30:37 am »

Ship Class (pick one) -
"Barrage" Class Destroyer: A combat-oriented ship equipped with missiles, and three basic weapons
Security Officer -
Advanced Training - Your security officer is highly skilled in training others in combat-related fields
Engineering Officer -
Field Repairing - Your engineering officer is great at making repairs with basic materials and tools outside of a repairing facility
Intelligence Officer -

This, but Engineering instead of Crew. Security Officer can have a background of "was a smuggler" maybe?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 02:37:33 am by Ross Vernal »

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 04:46:06 am »

PTW.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 07:14:25 am »

"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 02:26:12 pm »

Ship Class (pick one) -
Security Officer -
Engineering Officer -
Intelligence Officer -

This, but Engineering instead of Crew. Security Officer can have a background of "was a smuggler" maybe?
1+

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 02:30:15 pm »

Ship Name: F.S. Phoenix
Ship Class: "Predator" Class Stealth Corvette: A small yet sleek ship with a prototype stealth system, and one basic weapon.
Crew Priority: Fully staffed Engineering (start with more engineers)

Captain:
Name:
Done Ander
Background: Originally a freelancer selling lucrative trade goods from the new colonies back to the developed ones. There was little competition to the new colonies due to the danger, but the profit was worth it. Once the war started, the trade colonies were taken over and business was bad. Entered the U.E.F and was assigned this position.

Head Crew
Security Officer: George Gonzal
Background: Originally a scientist, he joined the war late. The U.E.F. decided that his know-how of many of the ships would help greatly in ship fights.
Skill: Naval Tactics - Your security officer is greatly gifted in tactics revolving around ship combat.

Engineering Officer: Paulie Smarte
Background: Lived on an unindustrialized colony and learned quickly how to put pieces of metal together. Can build anything she has schematics for.
Skill: Field Construction - Your engineering officer is great at creating structures/items/etc. with only basic tools and materials.

Intelligence Officer: Roge Rodra
Background: taken hostage by the Uarks and escaped on a small mining ship. Knows more about the Uarks than most people
Skill: Espionage -  Your intelligence officer is trained in matters relating to espionage.

Tactics:
This ship will mainly focus on guerrilla warfare; coming out of cloak to pick off individual ships before retreating.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 02:37:45 pm by origamiscienceguy »
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 09:18:38 pm »

Alright. I combined the (compatible) background+names from scienceguy's post and added them to the modified version (Staffed engineering, smuggler background for security officer) of Andre's post.
Feel free to still change anything/submit new things, but unless the consensus changes, the following information will be official in the first update.

Ship Name: F.S. Phoenix
Ship Class: Barrage Class
Crew Priority: Fully Staffed Engineering

Captain:

Name: Done Ander
Background: Originally a freelancer selling lucrative trade goods from the new colonies back to the developed ones. There was little competition to the new colonies due to the danger, but the profit was worth it. Once the war started, the trade colonies were taken over and business was bad. Entered the U.E.F and was assigned this position.

Head Crew
Security Officer: George Gonzal (male)
Background: George was a smuggler, bypassing U.E.F. trade laws before the war. After the initial invasion, he signed up to join the army, and given his skills as well as the desperation of the recruiters, he was assigned a position on board the Phoenix.
Skill: Advanced Training

Engineering Officer: Paulie Smarte (female)
Background: None (GM Choice) Lived on an unindustrialized colony and learned quickly how to put pieces of metal together. Can repair anything she has schematics for.
Skill: Field Repairing

Intelligence Officer: Roge Rodra (???)
Background: taken hostage by the Uarks and escaped on a small mining ship. Knows more about the Uarks than most people
Skill: General Espionage Knowledge
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 11:02:49 pm by Chiefwaffles »
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 09:31:38 pm »

For paulie Smarte, just put the same background but put good at fixing things instead of building things.

Nobody knows Rodge's gender. Rodge wears a helmet with a black visor all the time, even in bed.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 09:39:27 pm »

Nobody knows Rodge's gender. Rodge wears a helmet with a black visor all the time, even in bed.
-1. Roge should be [Heads] male.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 09:57:02 pm »

-1. Roge should be [Heads] male.
That's sexist.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 11:33:41 pm »

F.S. Phoenix, Orbiting the habitable colony world, Kynth.

You stand in the sole observation deck of the Phoenix, observing the occupied planet below. A solitary voice comes in through your headset.
"Captain, my team has completed the damage report. I'd suggest you come to the bridge to look at it."
With a sigh, you pass through the unpowered door leading to the observation deck and make your way to the bridge. As you walk through the halls, the working engineers and patrolling marines acknowledge your presence with a salute as they continue their work in your damaged ship.
Finally, you arrive at the bridge.

"Ah, Captain. I'm assuming you had a lovely time staring into space?"
quips Security Officer Gonzal. You simply ignore him as the others stare horrified at him. As you bring up the damage report on the primary holographic viewer in the bridge, Engineering Officer Smarte turns to you and starts walking you through the damage.
"Our main issue right now is the hyperdrive chamber," she says as she points to the location of engineering on the large hologram of the Phoenix. "They were able to fry our power regulation systems in that skirmish, and the hyperdrive was overcharged. Luckily it only jumped us here, and didn't strand us in hyperspace. While the power regulation systems are back online, the hyperdrive will probably have to be replaced."
"Any other major damage?" you ask.
"None that we know of at the moment. The rest is just minor hull and wiring damage that's being fixed as we speak."

You switch the holotable to a globe representation of Kynth, and Officer Rodra addresses you.
"Sir, after doing some digging in the database, I've compiled a basic report for the notable parts of this planet." he states.
"However, I'll give you a basic summary right now." He pulls up a file on his omnipad and starts talking. "Kynth is one of the rare earth-like worlds, and colonization started about 70 years ago. As I'm sure you know, it also acted as a military stationing point for most U.E.F. forces in the area. The last data that was uploaded to the database indicates that it's currently under complete Uark occupation. The last reported population was around 34 million citizens, and supposedly most of the registered citizens lived in the rather idealistic cities--" Rodra is cut off by Gonzal, who starts retelling what appears to be a 'fun fact' about the world.
"I've actually been to the capital city once, Captain. 'Idealistic' is an understatement - the capital buildings are so high, you can't even see the ground when walking through it!"
"...As I was saying, most of the civilians live in the cities located across the planet, but more than half the population lives at the capital city, Expanse."
"Anyways," continues Rodra, "I've sent the full report to your omnipad, Captain."

You hear a familiar ding and see that a file has been transferred to your omnipad. You should probably look at that later.
Rodra says one more thing before he finishes speaking: "Oh, and Captain - if you can get me some better way of gathering information, like scouts, wiretapping, anything, I can compile some possible events that can be acted upon every once in a while."

"Captain," Gonzal announces. "I'd recommend we land in a covert spot near a preferable location and start from there. We should be able to land anywhere on the planet as long as we keep power output low, and stay out of city limits."

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: GM Notes (click to show/hide)

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 12:28:56 am »

Ask Roge, "In which cities will we be likely to find whatever we need to repair our hyperdrive?"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6