Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: Trader of Favors (A Rebooted Suggestion Game)  (Read 15977 times)

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trader of Favors (A Rebooted Suggestion Game)
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2015, 09:21:59 am »

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2015, 08:59:28 pm »

Awaken, Awaken, Mustakrakish, the lake troll Demon.
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2015, 11:43:28 pm »

Trader of Favors, a Pactbinder.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Luck(1d20)= 19
Eventually you tear your way fully through the ether into the mortal realm, clawing and crawling towards your destination. It takes time for your essence to fully take form and shape upon your arrival, and when at last you are fully formed it is a great pain to move and get your bearings. Your body is torn and burned, your eyes bleary and red, your ears ringing. You're even sexless and without much in the way of discernible features, resembling a human more than most things, but just barely. Your skin is cracked and withered, whatever hair your body may grow turned into ash, leaving your body entirely hairless. Any attempt to change this plain, featureless body will require power, the wealth of metaphysical currency you do not currently have, and the will and strength to shape this form.   

Though your eyes are still painfully blurry as you look around you find that you are sheltered by the entrance to what you suspect to be a shallow cave dug into the earth.Though you cannot yet see far into the cave you do notice a pair of long deceased goblins, warriors by the look of their torn armour and discarded weapons. The cave goes deeper, but it is narrow and dug poorly, and it's more likely to be the either former or current home of some beast than anything else.

The light of a mid-day sun streams down to you filtered through light cloud, and just outside is a squirming pasture of Wormy Tendrils; a harmless form of meaty plantlife that undulates, and a ready food source for those who can stomach it. When you move out of the cave to get a better look around you find that you are in the middle of a large field of Tendril pasture, to the north you see a distant silhouette that you assume to be the goblin settlement you had aimed to arrive near. To the South is yet more pasture, though it grows less flat and more hilly in that direction, to the west you spy the harsh line where Wormy plantlife gives way to more natural grass, and a large deciduous forest. To the east is another, smaller forest, though it bears the unnatural hallmarks of yet more land touched with the blight of evil, not that that's much of a problem for you.

It should not be long before you are smuggled your possessions, and your powers besides, but until then you are vulnerable. It's possible that this cave may prove an ideal location to hide for an hour or so until your things are brought to you, but it's also possible that it could be even more dangerous than being out in the open. On the other hand there may be treasures and items of use deeper within the cave, and those goblin corpses at least might prove worthwhile to search. Though again you lie uncertain of what dangers may lie within, and until you've regained your true sight the darkness may hinder your search.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2015, 11:53:00 pm »

Perhaps we should just sitdown and wait.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2015, 11:57:57 pm »

Perhaps we should just sitdown and wait.

Wait until our powers and belongings are smuggled to us. We are weak right now.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2015, 12:02:34 am »

Might as well search the goblins while we wait. They are warriors, and might have gear that could come in handy if trouble finds us before our smuggled goods do.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2015, 12:10:24 am »

Their gear probably can't fit us though.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2015, 12:13:31 am »

Their weapons would be better than nothing, and we could get lucky with other things.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2015, 12:13:49 am »

Take a sword or spear for protection.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2015, 12:23:29 am »

Might as well search the goblins while we wait. They are warriors, and might have gear that could come in handy if trouble finds us before our smuggled goods do.
+1
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2015, 03:11:26 am »

Trader of Favors, a Pactbinder.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You stay within the entrance to the cave, aiming to wait out your weakness. While there you give a better examination of the goblin corpses sharing the entranceway with you. Search 1d20-2(bleary eyed)= 7

Most obvious are the weapons lying unattended on the ground, a War-Axe and a a short sword, both made of iron and touched by rust. Leaning against the dirt wall lies a heavy, deeply scarred shield made of purple wood. The goblins themselves have been left to rot for at least a few months, their bodies already largely picked clean by the voracious pests that lie in such places. The armour of the goblin fighters is in awful condition, and never would have fit you to begin with even if it wasn't horribly torn and rusted. On one of the goblins however you do find a coin-purse with three iron coins inside and it's attached to a belt that might be usable, though it's still in rather poor condition. On the corpses there is some faded memory of fear and suffering that you can feel, though it is incredibly sparse. Your body is not well attuned to the metabolism of raw emotion, but you still might be able to gather some of the little that is here for your own use, though it would take time and concentration. Considering your lack of any form of metaphysical power at all it would be a comfort to have *something* to work with.

???1d20+?=14

Luckily you do not have to wait long for your smuggler to arrive. His entrance is marked by a blast of heat and overwhelming scent, and there is a loud bang as he steps towards you. You have not met this demon before, and from what you can tell of his appearance it seems likely he's a low rung pactbinder, a nobody compared to who you were before, and yet immeasurably greater than what you are now. He flashes you a smug sharp toothed smile and uncurls his tail to extend to you the bundle of your possessions held there.

Firstly you dress. The clothing provided is of the finest human make, smooth silk and fine linen, with a belt and boots of centaur leather, and an ice-wolf fur cloak with four generous inner pockets. With that done you check the bag, finding both the spellbook and hellstuff stone within. The Bag itself is a backpack with two straps and over a dozen pockets of various sizes, an impressive and very efficient design capable of holding nearly anything that isn't too large, with one of the pockets even built in mind for accommodating liquids.

Once your scant possessions are in order the demon rubs his hands together gleefully and wordlessly begins the process of returning your powers to you. Your benefactor is very unskilled in the process, and his lack of talent or practice means that the bequeathal of power is an extremely painful process as your essence is shredded to make room for the hellstuff that soon infuses your body. You cry out often, and it is several minutes of torture before you are returned to some semblance of demonic glory. The demon seems to enjoy causing you suffering, the delicious rarity of a superior being eking out pain to a lesser who was once their own greater.

With some of your lost dignity restored you certainly feel a great deal less helpless, and your benefactor even decides you are at last worth speaking to. "Your servant should be arriving in a day or so, at which time i and my employers will be released from all oaths made to you." The cruel creature pulls a human fingerbone from the sleeve of his voluminous robe and hands it to you, maintaining his gleeful grin. "I've decided to take a risk on you however. I'm interested in acquiring valuable mortal goods. Emphasis on valuable. If you pull apart that fingerbone it will alert me. I will then spend the resources necessary to broker a trade with you for whatever it is you have decided warrants my attention. If i decide you have wasted my time, that will be the end of it, but if the trade is profitable for me i will give you another fingerbone. You won't find an easier way to access hell's markets for some time i'd wager, so if that's something you desire i imagine that i am your only option." As his smug words fade into the air he vanishes with another bang, unceremoniously, not even waiting for you to state whether you found such an arrangement agreeable or not, perhaps confident that you would.

Your perfect eyesight is returned to you however, and this enables you to at last get a proper look through the shroud of darkness in the cave. Deeper inside are a variety of bones, mostly picked clean, with scattered objects lying in their midst. The cave extends for only a few dozen feet before lazily snaking to the right and out of sight. If something is in here, it has likely heard your screams from earlier.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 03:15:25 am by Mlamlah »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2015, 03:19:21 am »

Take a look through our spellbook and see what kind of useful stuff it has.

I keep on reading this as "Trader of Flavours" and my mind instantly thinks we're playing as a guy who sells ice cream.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2015, 03:26:02 am »

Get a feel for our body
Just a bit of athletics and smaller feats of strength to gauge our current power. Unless we have an innate understanding of it already.

Take a better look at the corpses
We should be able to deduce some sort of clue, as to what kind of creature has killed them. And if we even want to bother with it. Which might turn out to be a good idea, actually. Throwing a locally feared menace in front of those goblins, should make things quicker.

Take a look through our spellbook and see what kind of useful stuff it has.
+1

I keep on reading this as "Trader of Flavours" and my mind instantly thinks we're playing as a guy who sells ice cream.
"He who controlls the spice", was it? ;3
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13