Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Trader of Favors (A Rebooted Suggestion Game)  (Read 15908 times)

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
Trader of Favors (A Rebooted Suggestion Game)
« on: April 22, 2015, 05:56:45 pm »

The first thing to understanding the way things really are is to understand that everything is tangible, even the intangible. Ideas arn't just something that sit in your head, they are real, and they have power. There are things out there that want what's right there in the mind. Some arn't so bad, Gods want your worship but take care of you in turn. Fey will try to give you joy so that they may feed off of it. Spirits will gaurd you if only you keep them around by acknowledging them. However, some of the things out there arn't so fair minded. They'll make a deal with you, and at first it will seem you're getting something out of the bargain, but then they'll ruin you and feed on your suffering. These are the creatures we should really fear, and hope that they will be content with out fear.
-Excerpt from "On the Multiverse: Recollections of a traveller."

You are a demon of the first hell, the crossroad from the inferno that reaches into the rest of the cosmos, and the first stop of those poor doomed souls who are dragged into it's depths. You're a vassal to the lord of an infernal fiefdom, with properties and demonic servants of your own, something not one in a million demons can claim. However your ambition for power reached too far too quickly, and now your lord has called for your execution, his right as your sovereign. Fortunately, even as you enacted your treacheries you knew better than to be caught off guard by failure and you have prepared one last gambit to ensure your own survival.

You are -or were- a pact-demon of the highest rank, only a step away from negotiations to be turned into a demon of greater power and influence. You have the power to make magically binding deals with mortals, and the debt from those deals in itself is a form of power that you carry within yourself. You can transfer it and use it as currency, or use it to alter the very nature of things, not least of all the indebted. You had amassed a great collection of this power, more so than one of your stature had any right to collect, and you have used every ounce of your hoard in trade, bribes and persuasions, all to the end of keeping you from utter annihilation. You managed to secure a trial with the judicial system of hell, rather than one presided over by the very lord who would destroy you, and were found guilty.
Your guilt was never in question, but your punishment was an outcome that could be altered.Through your own careful manipulations you've narrowly avoided being sentenced to death or slavery, and were instead granted a rather unconventional punishment. Your status as a citizen of hell is to be revoked, with all of the privileges and legal rights that comes with that taken from you.

You are still a demon, but your memory, power and properties will be forfeit.Demons are pliant in a way few creatures are, the very things that make their being are themselves a form of currency and property, to be either bequeathed or revoked at any time. You are to be sent to a mortal plane without recollection of the politics of Hell, without any of the power you have ever gained, little more than a husk of soul-stuff. You don't plan on allowing this to be the final word however. Though it defies infernal law you expend all of the debt you have collected to arrange for some of your memories to be protected, for some small tokens to be reclaimed for you, and for a little power to be provided to you once you touch down in the mortal realm.
It is time for the final arrangements to be made, your debt to be spent.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
Re: Trader of Favors (A Rebooted Suggestion Game)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 05:57:02 pm »

This is a reboot of Trader of Favors, a game set in a modified version of the dwarf fortress universe.

You have 300 "debt points" to spend upon character creation. Leftover debt will be confiscated by your former liege-lord, as will be the property that you do not arrange to be taken. It's worth noting that these prices are greatly inflated by illegality.

Backstory, memories, and skills retained.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Your body.

Property

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 06:14:40 pm »

Trader of Favors (80)
Large horns (40)
Demon's Eyes (40)
Weaponized Tail (40)
Demon's Hunger (50)
Indebted Imp (50)

Can the imp retain it's memories?
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 06:19:05 pm »

Yes, it's not being banished. The investment represents the arrangements necessary to having it smuggled to you.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 06:31:57 pm »

So tell the imp the name of our lord and have him tell us when we arrive in the mortal world.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 06:37:39 pm »

Yeah this has been rebooted!!!!!!

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 07:06:02 pm »

Let us go prepared to make a mark on the mortal world:
Soldier of Hell (70)
Tudor of Witches (120)
Small Horns (25)
Nightmare (40)
Hell-Forged Chainmail (15)
Fine Clothes (5)
Stone of Hellstuff (10)
Our Sword (15)

Subtly to the Wind. We come equipped to impress men into our service and then lead them into battle. If we can find our old Black Magic Students we might be even better off... If gain enough power on earth, we can eventually get allies who have the knowledge we want to force our way back into hell.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 07:24:07 pm »

Trader of Favors (80)
Large horns (40)
Demon's Eyes (40)
Weaponized Tail (40)
Demon's Hunger (50)
Indebted Imp (50)

Can the imp retain it's memories?

+1 Nice to see this game is back up and going.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 07:32:07 pm »

I think both of the ones out right now are too blatant we should be more subtle

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 07:46:38 pm »

Trader of Favors (40)
The name of your liege (5)
Claws (15)
Small horns (25)
A demon's eyes (40)
The demon's strength (50)
Fine Clothes (5)
Stone of Hellstuff (10)
Bag (5)

Trader of Favors because it's the name of the game and useful in procuring debt.
Name of liege so we know who to watch out for.
Claws because they're just as good as a sword and they can't get stolen.
Small horns so we know the emotions of other people and thus make it easier to make deals, plus it's cheaper and less obvious than large horns.
Demon's eyes for loads of uses.
Demon's strength for auto-winning fights.
Fine clothes because we can afford it and there's nothing else to buy.
Stone of hellstuff to make a sword or mail or something else for a cheaper price.
A bag to carry the hellstuff.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 08:11:39 pm »

I think both of the ones out right now are too blatant we should be more subtle

If we had the ability to pick our landing spot in the mortal world, and start with forged papers of nobility, we would be in good position to gain power through subtle means. As it stands however, the quickest way to earn respect will be to flaunt our demonhood and build power among the mortal world's shady element.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 08:51:38 pm »

How about weirdsounds build but with nightmare replaced with demon eyes(which seems more useful to a criminal mastermind to me)and clothes replaced with knowing our liedges name

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 08:54:16 pm »

How about weirdsounds build but with nightmare replaced with demon eyes(which seems more useful to a criminal mastermind to me)and clothes replaced with knowing our liedges name
+1. Good enough for me. Besides, we all know we'll eventually replace our nightmare with a dragon mount the first chance we get.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 09:33:04 pm »

Trader of Favors (40)
Claws (15)
Small horns (25)
A demon's eyes (40)
Fine Clothes (5)
Stone of Hellstuff (10)
Bag (5)

Trader of Favors because it's the name of the game and useful in procuring debt.
Small horns so we know the emotions of other people and thus make it easier to make deals, plus it's cheaper and less obvious than large horns.
Stone of hellstuff to make a sword or mail or something else for a cheaper price.

+1

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 09:59:02 pm »

Trader of Favors (40)
Claws (15)
Small horns (25)
A demon's eyes (40)
Fine Clothes (5)
Stone of Hellstuff (10)
Bag (5)

+1

This one is 65 points under the limit, could easily grab a couple more perks.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13