Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Emdrive news: we might be about to become an interstellar civilization  (Read 31695 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Emdrive news: we might be about to become an interstellar civilization
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2015, 12:44:37 am »

PTSpehs
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2015, 01:06:01 am »

I eriously doubt this can work. It's feels like too much pseudoscience to hope for it to work.
Another relevant xkcd:
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2015, 08:13:12 am »

I value my meagre supplies of excitement too much to invest them in 'discoveries' that hadn't been published in reputable journals and validated.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2015, 08:47:07 am »

Isn't this old news? I recall reading about something like this a year ago or so. It was way overhyped. Something about the mass needed for Alcubierre drives being less than the one guessed before *if* exotic matter was employed, but still far larger than it would be practical. Or somesuch.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2015, 08:55:53 am »

This is a separate story altogether. This is not an alcubierre drive.

This story is that apparently you can juice up your home microwave to make something that does the same thing as an alcubierre drive. ;)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2015, 09:20:41 am »

« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 09:40:47 pm by penguinofhonor »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2015, 09:35:50 am »

They can hook this up to Rossi's E-Cat Cold Fusion device for the power source. This will have the added benefit that the water for the E-Cat can be heated up in the microwave section.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2015, 10:19:35 am »

We have a very nice solar mass available and you want to pollute the fragile environment of Jupiter?
Probably much harder to dump stuff into the sun, though.
that said, space is pretty big and we might be able to get away by just building giant garbage dumps in space.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2015, 10:27:34 am »

Futurisitic Sitcom?

(That's really REALLY bad?)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2015, 10:36:34 am »

Probably much harder to dump stuff into the sun, though.
that said, space is pretty big and we might be able to get away by just building giant garbage dumps in space.
Space Hulk 2150, baby. Them tyranids aren't going to breed themselves!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2015, 10:43:00 am »

:v we could build mass drivers and just launch everything into jupiter's orbit or something, not like we have working mass driver prototypes yet.

Anyway, in regards to the e-cat, has anyone actualy managed to prove it to be a hoax or something? Not that I have any trust on Rossi, but the latest attempt to replicate the effect seemed to get a reactor to heat up to 1000 Celcius and then crack apart.

EDIT: Here's the article where I found the video, if anyone's curious: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-02/06/cold-fusion-reactor
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 11:27:03 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2015, 10:53:55 am »

IIRC, the premise behind the ecat is nonsense.  The mechanism proposed is just not plausible-- We would have a LOT more copper on earth if this kind of thing was possible and easy to do. (Nickel constitutes a fair percentage of the earth's core, and would have been very abundant in the early solar system, along with the water that was delivered to the earth. Conditions would have been "favorable" for this kind of fusion, if it were really possible, in the early history of the earth-- meaning a significant amount of copper should have been generated. So-- where's all that copper at?)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2015, 11:43:12 am »

ptw in preparation for eventual disappointment

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2015, 01:31:59 pm »

IIRC, the premise behind the ecat is nonsense.  The mechanism proposed is just not plausible-- We would have a LOT more copper on earth if this kind of thing was possible and easy to do. (Nickel constitutes a fair percentage of the earth's core, and would have been very abundant in the early solar system, along with the water that was delivered to the earth. Conditions would have been "favorable" for this kind of fusion, if it were really possible, in the early history of the earth-- meaning a significant amount of copper should have been generated. So-- where's all that copper at?)
It's usually the case that geophysics bases its measurements on the reactions that we know occur, so our estimates may be off somewhat. We can't exactly dip into the mantle to study it, we have to base our guesses on its composition on volcanic events (which don't represent the whole mantle) and sonar/seismic density studies. This even suggests a certain amount of hoarding away from the crust. I'm not saying it's not bunk, I'm saying using geophysics as a reason probably isn't the best bet because of how often it gets overturned every time we discover a new physical process that could affect it.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2015, 01:47:58 pm »

The ecat has also had some surprisingly positive peer reviews in recent years too, and from very credible sources like the University of Uppsala, altough those series of experiments got questioned because Rossi actualy examined the samples so critics said (rightfuly so) that he might have tampered with the experiment. Then there's Parkhomov's independent experiment who said that he managed to replicate the ecat and give out a similar, though slightly inferior output of energy.
Now the Martin Fleischmann Memorial Project, in an attempt to replicate it, has caused a small reactor to heat up to +1000 degrees celcius and cause it to crack and leak, in a supposed runaway reaction, which confirm's Rossi's claim that the hardest part about getting his prototype to work was preventing runaway reactions.

Does this prove cold fusion works? Not really, not yet at least, since the Martin Fleischmann Memorial Project is still doing experiments, but maybe there's more to Rossi's prototype then we thought.

Also, this combined with possible magnetron-driven engines could open up some interesting possibilities, even if the Alcubierre drive is not a possibility yet. But yea, peer review, valuable science journals, etc. Not saying we are on the  verge of a revolution in physics and energy production, but the mere fact that there's no concrete proof that we aren't is reason enough to keep an eye on things.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13