Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I'm trying to make a D&D campaign based off DF  (Read 3150 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I'm trying to make a D&D campaign based off DF
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2015, 08:46:57 pm »

add cannibalistic elves, Evil biomes, Thralls, communist dwarves, have the existence of an overseer be a plot point, engravings, war trained exotic beasts like crocodiles, dwarven shotgun, Giant animals, Horrible syndromes, Good biomes, unicorns, carp, lampreys, kitten slaughter, catsplosions, werebeasts, Megaprojects, Bogeymen, night trolls, dwarven ghosts, and add roomcarnaged
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2015, 10:02:33 pm »

Have low luck mean "accidents" happen.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2015, 11:55:00 pm »

Please please please have a goblin civ made up entirely of kidnapped multi-ethnic children from other civs.

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2015, 10:12:51 pm »

I like what necromancy implies about how magic works in the Dwarf Fortress setting, but can't think of a way to make Secret-based magic or inherent abilities like elves' wood-growth and dwarves' artifact-making fit in with D&D rules...(Artifacts seem the easiest fit, to be honest.)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2015, 05:40:59 am »

I like what necromancy implies about how magic works in the Dwarf Fortress setting, but can't think of a way to make Secret-based magic or inherent abilities like elves' wood-growth and dwarves' artifact-making fit in with D&D rules...(Artifacts seem the easiest fit, to be honest.)
Well, 4e is a bit tough to modify, but secret-based magic types would make great sense as warlock pacts. You'd have to refluff the warlock a bit of course, but within the D&D magic system (which is a bit notorious for being rigid and setting-specific for a game that ostensibly supports a variety of types of fantasy) it's probably your best bet. Mind, a power that amounts to "spam tons of dangerous combatants" isn't appropriate to a PC from a balance perspective, if implemented unmodified. A necromancer that sneaks into the butcher's district and creates a ton of bizarre undead would make a great encounter though.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2015, 08:59:19 am »

Well, 4e is a bit tough to modify, but secret-based magic types would make great sense as warlock pacts. You'd have to refluff the warlock a bit of course, but within the D&D magic system (which is a bit notorious for being rigid and setting-specific for a game that ostensibly supports a variety of types of fantasy) it's probably your best bet. Mind, a power that amounts to "spam tons of dangerous combatants" isn't appropriate to a PC from a balance perspective, if implemented unmodified. A necromancer that sneaks into the butcher's district and creates a ton of bizarre undead would make a great encounter though.
Spellcasting in DF is closer to what you'd see in a HERO or Rolemaster game.  A first-level necromancer in Rolemaster can animate an unlimited number of skeletons or zombies, though only temporarily.  At fifth level, they can be permanent.  Way back in the olden days when I actually had time to play RPGs, a spellcaster could attempt to cast a spell above her own level at the risk of Extraordinary Spell Failure.

Extraordinary Spell Failure is an archaic spelling of !!FUN!!.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2015, 12:57:19 pm »

Will update puush link later today. This probably won't be put into play until after my current campaign, though. The idea is always fun to make, and imagine the possibilities. Quite fun just to write this all.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Floppypig

• Bay Watcher
  • looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2015, 10:17:22 am »

Switch to runequest
“All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2015, 10:58:33 am »

Spellcasting in DF is closer to what you'd see in a HERO or Rolemaster game.  A first-level necromancer in Rolemaster can animate an unlimited number of skeletons or zombies, though only temporarily.  At fifth level, they can be permanent.  Way back in the olden days when I actually had time to play RPGs, a spellcaster could attempt to cast a spell above her own level at the risk of Extraordinary Spell Failure.

Extraordinary Spell Failure is an archaic spelling of !!FUN!!.
At 10th level, the necromancer flees into the wilds after the zombies become suspicious that he is not aging.
Pages: 1 [2]