Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Forgotten Beast Mass Murderer  (Read 6531 times)

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Forgotten Beast Mass Murderer
« on: April 19, 2015, 03:05:59 pm »

In one of my forts I ended up opening the caverns a lot earlier than expected so I simply closed it off because there were cavern creatures constantly showing up and harassing citizens that insisted going down there. Eventually a forgotten beast showed up, but as it was brided off I didn't really care. I finally decided to check up on the forgotten beast probably around three in-game years later, and the cavern floor is covered in corpses. So many corpses I'm not even getting cavern creatures anymore, I think the forgotten beast actually extincted all the creatures in this cavern. I reopened the cavern layer, and the forgotten beast was easily defeated as it was just made of glass and I had a legendary, full steel military of six. The real problem though is all those corpses. I ordered some trees to be cut, but my woodcutter was overwhelmed by horror, and I checked his thoughts and found that there was a full page of horrified thoughts from seeing things die. So, what are the stress implications of this? Is there any way to get a more exact number on stress? I've heard people give number for it, but I can't find any DFHack scripts that have to do with stress. Should I just close off the caverns again before my woodcutter goes insane? I'm not really sure what to do here.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Beast Mass Murderer
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 03:45:09 pm »

Use Dwarf Therapist for the stress values.

Really? you play fortress mode without the therapist?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 04:05:06 pm »

Use Dwarf Therapist for the stress values.

Really? you play fortress mode without the therapist?
Yes, I find it kind of pathetic how dependant some people get on it. When 0.40 first came out there were people asking how to assign labors normally. I sometimes use it when I assign something be done, but nobody does it for a while to check if I actually have anybody with that labor assigned since that's pretty much impossible to do without Dwarf Therapist, but normal fortress operation is easy.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 04:38:30 pm »

Yes, I find it kind of pathetic how dependant some people get on it.
But DFHack is ok? Gotcha
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 04:40:23 pm by Halnoth »
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 04:43:12 pm »

But DFHack is ok? Gotcha
Well I don't need DFHack, I mainly use it for cheating in adventurer mode actually because sometimes it's more fun to resurrect yourself and send your opponent to hell than to die. I also sometimes use the clean script to try and increase FPS a bit, but anyway this thread isn't about my usage of DFHack it's about whether or not a cavern layer full of corpses is a problem for stress.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 04:49:36 pm »

It is a problem for stress. You need to either have the corpses hauled by dwarfs who can handle stress or you need to auto dump them with dfhack. Otherwise, best close it off again or every dwarf going down there will recieve unhappy thoughts.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 05:18:04 pm »

But DFHack is ok? Gotcha
Speaking as one who uses DFhack and has never used therapist; DFhack has FPS saving utilities, designation tools and neat utilities like stonesense. Therapist replaces DF's own UI, and while I understand that the current UI is as desirable to some as syphilis, I find it's quicker and more immersive to not have to tab out or take away part of the bureaucratic madness of DF.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 05:26:55 pm »

You can get a lot of the benefits of therapist with manipulator, I don't like the therapist interface anyways so I just get by using manipulator anyways.

Terff

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed...
    • View Profile
    • What is the answer to this question?
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 06:00:35 pm »

I just use therapist for checking stress values, gender prefs and the exact levels of skills along with using it to compare dwarves easier.

Personally I have nothing against using it, but if you cant use the vanilla interface yeah I agree they are pretty pathetic.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 08:56:59 pm by Terff »
I need some way to put armor on babies so I can start training them early.
Quote from: Lectorog on August 06, 2013, 03:57:45 pm

A goblin siege!?  Good we haven't had one in awhile, we are running out of new clothes

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 07:58:14 am »

Personally I have nothing against using it, but if you cant use the vanilla interface yeah I agree they are pretty pathetic.

I wouldn't call someone "pathetic" because of his way playing a game.
It's a preference.
I never used Dwarf Therapist - but that's mostly because I started playing DF when there wasn't something like Dwarf Therapist.
I accustomed myself to the vanilla interface but even I have to admit that the UI is horrible in many regards - and that someone would prefer DT and not even trying to bother with vanilla.
I would never call them anything.
After all it's just a game and there are many ways to enjoy it.
And what's the point in having no fun while playing?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 08:32:07 am by SaD-82 »

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 10:50:28 am »

I find manipulator (from dfhack) to be far easier to use for reading stress level than dwarf the rapist. It's also faster, reading over hundred of dwarves from memory takes some time.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 12:07:32 pm »

I am a proud user of dwarf therapist. I do not assign labors vanilla-style. It's a lot easier and frankly allows me to see what needs doing and who can do it best quickly. In short, I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't call me, or any other DT user, "Pathetic."

Thanks chief.

Besides if you were a real dwarf you'd let your woodcutter go insane, it is the highest state of dwarfliness.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 03:08:58 pm »

Like most problems, this one can be solved with magma.

Terff

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed...
    • View Profile
    • What is the answer to this question?
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 03:44:21 pm »

True,
I am a proud user of dwarf therapist. I do not assign labors vanilla-style. It's a lot easier and frankly allows me to see what needs doing and who can do it best quickly. In short, I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't call me, or any other DT user, "Pathetic."

Thanks chief.

Besides if you were a real dwarf you'd let your woodcutter go insane, it is the highest state of dwarfliness.

True, my apologies, I guess everyone plays however suits themselves.
I need some way to put armor on babies so I can start training them early.
Quote from: Lectorog on August 06, 2013, 03:57:45 pm

A goblin siege!?  Good we haven't had one in awhile, we are running out of new clothes

sirvente

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 02:46:15 am »

Eventually a forgotten beast showed up, but as it was brided off I didn't really care

By Armok's beard, they get married now? Toady really does think of everything.
Pages: [1] 2