Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Plum pits  (Read 6780 times)

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: Plum pits
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2015, 05:51:42 pm »

Sell them to the elves!

I send my tree seeds to a stockpile near the trade depot (yes, with bags, but no, not with barrels enabled). Then when the elven merchants arrive, I sell them bags and bags of apple seeds, plum pits, and the like. They seem to love them, and sell me a lot of excellent fruit and clothes in return for their seeds. Thankfully they aren't opposed to cheap leather bags. It seems appropriate somehow.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2015, 07:39:18 pm »

I was just editing d_init.txt, and realized that there is code in there to max the number of each type of seed (default is 200, which easily fits in one bag) and according to the text it periodically deletes the oldest seeds to maintain this.  I can confirm that it is doing this, as I have 200 of each type of tree seed in my rather old and large fort.

In other words, this is really not worth worrying about, and Toady already has a stopgap fix in place to deal with the fact the seeds are worthless.  I guess not quite worthless, as you can sell them...

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2015, 11:36:35 am »

I was just editing d_init.txt, and realized that there is code in there to max the number of each type of seed (default is 200, which easily fits in one bag) and according to the text it periodically deletes the oldest seeds to maintain this.

Nope. When a particular type of seed reaches 200, no new seeds of that type get created. When the total number of all seeds at a site reaches 3000, the oldest seeds start to disappear. If you have 15 types of useless tree seeds fully stocked, all your useful seeds will have disappeared. The two different types of caps can cause problems. The total seed cap also counts merchants' seeds, and removes planted seeds from fields, all of which make the accumulation of useless seeds rather annoying.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2015, 02:38:40 pm »

Sell them to the elves!

I send my tree seeds to a stockpile near the trade depot (yes, with bags, but no, not with barrels enabled). Then when the elven merchants arrive, I sell them bags and bags of apple seeds, plum pits, and the like. They seem to love them, and sell me a lot of excellent fruit and clothes in return for their seeds. Thankfully they aren't opposed to cheap leather bags. It seems appropriate somehow.

I do the same. It is the most "ecological" solution. I suppose the elves can distil them into spirits, or grind into some funny, mind-enhancing powder, or just extract the cyanide from them to kill their mothers-in-law. Any way, whatever they need it for will be better done than what my dwarves would do.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2015, 02:10:46 am »

Sell them to the elves!

I do the same. It is the most "ecological" solution. I suppose the elves can distil them into spirits, or grind into some funny, mind-enhancing powder, or just extract the cyanide from them to kill their mothers-in-law. Any way, whatever they need it for will be better done than what my dwarves would do.

I actually assume that the elves are planting the things. It seems story appropriate. Yes, I know that the game doesn't work that way, but it seems, as I said, appropriate. Tree seeds are little tiny particles of elven faith.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2015, 02:05:06 pm »

I periodically use the stocks screen to mark the with both forbid AND dump, then run "autodump destroy forbidden". Takes care of the seeds with little chance of destroying anything else.

I may need to look at modest mod's solution, it may be something I can steal for Rubble :)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS
Pages: 1 [2]