Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Elf Invasion mod 1.3 - Scratch that elf killing itch - The cold lands see all  (Read 20139 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

EDIT: PATCH SEEMS DONE

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1.3 released for both 40.24 and 34.11!

Special thanks to Mr Frog for helping me get the Naukan and Beasts working for 34.11.

UNIQUE TO 34.11
Bandits, refugees, and mercenaries (One entity) replace pyromancers. They currently have several castes, but they mainly just differ in description right now. I intend to give them all some natural combat skills in due time.

Naukan also have a working ice spear attack.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elf Invasion mod 1.3 - Scratch that elf killing itch - The cold lands see all
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2015, 05:24:33 pm »

ANNOUNCEMENT

Planning to expand the mod somewhat to make humans playable. Going for a western european kingdom feel for thier nobles and whatnot, and wouldn't say no to ideas on how to help them feel a little more unique and fun to play without going the "proud merchant race" route masterwork took.

Considering adding Treants for elves and snow ogres or some other large brutish door smasher for the naukan to bring into battle. While the latter is easily done, dunno how I'd go about doing treants.

Possibly adding something new to dwarves. What though, I haven't the foggiest, but I feel like they could do with something new and shiny, and some recent PMs suggested some kind of new alloy.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Elf Invasion mod 1.3 - Scratch that elf killing itch - The cold lands see all
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2015, 06:33:28 pm »

The main difference between dwarves and humans in Masterwork is not the trading, but the reverse cave-adaption. Humans cant stay long underground in dark places, they work much better in outside/light tiles. That automatically leads to aboveground forts. To make it easier I made them better masons and gave them more blocks per boulder.

I'd give them a heavy farming aspect. Some workshops that reward the player for having lots of grazing animals, maybe selling cheese, milk and cloth; while many inedible plants could make new products. That should lead to large outdoor areas with farms, for that realistic medieval feel.

Third part could be christian religion. I personally dont like it for DF, but if you want to be realistic and simulate medieval Europe...
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2015, 06:58:26 pm »

Well, maybe not christianity per se, but I could see some kind of religion-related system and possibly making use of proper castes.

I might just cannibalize the old crusader ideas from a thread awhile back: Serfs, craftsmen, knights/paladins/templars, and ageless angels/saints with bonuses and penalties and in the case of saints/angels, the ability to kill undead creatures hopefully via interaction.

I'd kind of like to avoid trade workshops, since masterwork already does that, and that along with the reverse cave adaptation (how the hell does that even work?) was their shtick in it. I'm not against it completely, but still.

I was considering stonecutter and sawmill buildings to make the most of their building materials, but overall I dunno how to really work out how to make the most of them without DFHack witchery (since that's way over my head.)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2015, 08:18:46 pm »

I'm not sure if it's possible, but having human nobles appointed by the capital (not chosen by the player) would add color.  I didn't get very far with this idea but the important thing is not getting a specific person, just somebody that the player didn't pick.  It'd be very realistic if the noble turns out to be phenomenally unqualified for their nominal job at the fort.

For example, a Treasurer who nominally oversees the Bookkeeper until you become the capital (if that's even possible with humans).  This noble doesn't perform any useful function but requires an office.  Some Ladies/Lords in Waiting don't even pretend to do work, but want expensive quarters.  Ideally, these would be migrants rather than getting chosen from your Starting Seven.  If you're willing to do DFHack, you could pick random migrants and ennoble them when they step on the map.

Even if that particular idea doesn't suit your head-canon, I hope it helps give you ideas.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2015, 08:24:04 pm »

I do like the idea, and it's actually somewhat in-line with how nobles used to work in DF.

The problem is I have literally no DFhack experience or knowledge. Otherwise if I went through with this serfs and knights type stuff I'd have heraldic armor make serfs fearless, paladin helmets grant extravision and Angelic Greatswords have a chance to turn zombies to dust.

On the subject of nobles, I did implement human nobles leading squads of thier own, consisting of a single bodyguard for baron-level nobles up to five honor guards for dukes.

I also want to try and have the nobles upgrade as the population and such grow, such as a Governor replacing the mayor, treasurer the broker, and hoardmaster the bookkeeper, and including "Knight" squads, which consist of a single Knight and two retainers/squires who demand certain standards of living.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2015, 08:57:28 pm »

I'd kind of like to avoid trade workshops, since masterwork already does that, and that along with the reverse cave adaptation (how the hell does that even work?) was their shtick in it. I'm not against it completely, but still.
It's an syndrome from an interaction that is triggered with the CAVE_ADAPTION counter. It's all RAWs, no dfhack.

The problem is I have literally no DFhack experience or knowledge. Otherwise if I went through with this serfs and knights type stuff I'd have heraldic armor make serfs fearless, paladin helmets grant extravision and Angelic Greatswords have a chance to turn zombies to dust.
Armor adding syndromes you can only do with dfhack, but the script already exists and what you need to write would be RAWs, not scripts.

Greatswords that do extra damage... no problem, use MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER tags. Again, no dfhack. Although that's against specific creatures, not undeads by definition.

Targetting undeads with interactions/syndromes is super easy btw, you just use OPPOSED_TO_LIFE as target requirement.

I also want to try and have the nobles upgrade as the population and such grow, such as a Governor replacing the mayor, treasurer the broker, and hoardmaster the bookkeeper, and including "Knight" squads, which consist of a single Knight and two retainers/squires who demand certain standards of living.
That's easy to do, all within the limits of noble/entity tokens :)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2015, 09:49:22 pm »

It's an syndrome from an interaction that is triggered with the CAVE_ADAPTION counter. It's all RAWs, no dfhack.

Now see, you say that like that would be common knowledge.
Armor adding syndromes you can only do with dfhack, but the script already exists and what you need to write would be RAWs, not scripts.
As to the armor stuff, I already know that from Masterwork and Underhive (runes and protective gasmasks respectively.)

Greatswords that do extra damage... no problem, use MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER tags. Again, no dfhack. Although that's against specific creatures, not undeads by definition.
Ehh, I'd only really even do something like that with specific divine weapons - specifically angelic greatswords. Perhaps having them be from a custom material causing a self-targeted interaction with undeads: Obviously with itemsyndrome, having these swords use a specific material that causes a general syndrome/interaction that only kills the target if it's undead. Sure, there'd be irritating seeing a minispam of (for example) "The holy energies have no affect on the enemy!" it'd at least make dealing with zombies more bearable I think.

Targetting undeads with interactions/syndromes is super easy btw, you just use OPPOSED_TO_LIFE as target requirement.
So once I figure out interactions I could do that.
That's easy to do, all within the limits of noble/entity tokens :)
Oh I know. Just as of late my attempts to make those upgrades happen have been... Less than fruitful. It's a trivial matter adding military squads and such for sure.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2015, 08:39:45 pm »

Alright, so amid some mild brainstorming I have a thought.

First off, I'm considering yet another hostile civ, based in part on the warlocks from 34.11 Masterwork. Essentially mad druids who can raise the dead through a corrupted form of magic they normally use to flashgrow saplings and such or something of that nature. This could make attacks by these renegade nature worshippers being especially dangerous since while they wield wooden arms and armor, they also have the potential to raise any and all as undead warriors to fight for them.

Second, I'm considering replacing Jungle Beasts with "Quagmire Zombie" creatures, victims of the mad druids wandering the swamplands of the world, with castes to reflect dwarves, elves, humans, kobolds, and goblins with the same buildingsmasher tendencies of the roaming horde Beasts and possibly rounded up to fight by goblins and the mad druids themselves.

Third, some kind of shiny new workshop in magma and unpowered varieties to produce some kind of new alloy or two that's somewhat resource intensive (and in the unpowered versions case, fuel costly,) to produce. I'm thinking something to do with rock crystal for one that makes incredible weapons/armor, and something to help boost room values. What I'd call these, I haven't the faintest clue.

Also the possibility of using a few animalman tribals to make skulking/snatching civs, perhaps. Mainly for more theif variety besides kobolds.

Any thoughts by anyone on these or the previous ideas?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2015, 12:10:57 pm »

Ideas and a tip:

Necromancers, even custom ones, attack you. You dont need to make a civ of deranged druids, you just need to make a deranged-druid secret, allow the druids to raise the dead and transform them into plant monsters. They will attack you just like normal necromancers.

For skulking civs like kobolds I'd take either creatures with special features, or very, very strong creatures with berserk. Makes much more fun to discover a raging uber-monster in your fort, than a tiny kobold that dies in 1 hit.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2015, 12:25:17 pm »

For skulking civs like kobolds I'd take either creatures with special features, or very, very strong creatures with berserk. Makes much more fun to discover a raging uber-monster in your fort, than a tiny kobold that dies in 1 hit.
Elephants.  The bloodthirsty kind from previous versions.

On a more serious note, is there a way to make a self-interaction to allow a little sneaky bastard hulk out when in trouble (perhaps with a "flee" hint)?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2015, 12:35:42 pm »

Elephants.  The bloodthirsty kind from previous versions.

On a more serious note, is there a way to make a self-interaction to allow a little sneaky bastard hulk out when in trouble (perhaps with a "flee" hint)?
Yes, but it would have to add CRAZED or OPPOSED_TO_LIFE too, otherwise they hulk-out while fleeing, instead of fighting.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2015, 05:58:32 pm »

I dunno about a secret, since it could result in non-elf mad druids, but it was more a thought that anything.

Elephants... Mm.... I suppose I could I mak'em [PRONT_TO_RAGE] but that didn't seem like a very serious suggestion anyway. :P

Still, something's better than nothing as far as spitballing ideas.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2015, 06:05:54 pm »

I dunno about a secret, since it could result in non-elf mad druids, but it was more a thought that anything.
Not necessarily. The syndrome might only work on elves. humans would become necromancers. dwarves could be geomancers with golems. kobolds could be shamans with spirit animals. goblins turn into demon-summoners with demons on their side.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5